• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What harm is there in NOT believing God ?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Believers, provide example of any harm in NOT believing God ?
Buddha said "life consists of suffering, pain, and misery"
Nirvana is the ultimate spiritual goal in Buddhism and marks the soteriological release from rebirths in saṃsāra

Until Nirvana

A) There is harm in "believing in God"
B) There is harm in "NOT believing in God"

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well... considering the gods are quite literally the universe, reality, everything, and then some? Not believing in any of those things would be a very serious mental health problem. I've yet to meet anyone who actually has this mental health problem, though; I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't believe in the gods (aka, the universe, reality, everything, and then some). It's why I don't believe in atheists. I believe in humans who don't grant the title "god" for things that they utterly depend upon for having functioning lives (or lives at all) for some reason, and those people can be "atheists" or "theists." By extension, refusal to believe in anything that is greater than oneself or that one depends upon for existing sure does cultivate an extreme level of hubris and narcissism. That's also (usually) lacking in people who call themselves "atheists" or "theists."

Did I mention how useless the terms "atheist" and "theist" are? I'm mentioning it now.

stvdv

Beliefs inform actions. But the harm is the action, not the belief. Not believing does not inform actions.
You missed my point, but I admit I did not put it in a way easy to see

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

There is no harm. Superficial belief is virtually meaningless. I know atheists whose actions are more Godly than some who call themselves believers (at the top of their voices).

Atheists tend to believe in knowing the truth and avoiding what seems fantasy. That, to me, is a characteristic of those on the spiritual path. We call it "Truth" not "truth" and our fantasy is the world of maya, but my time as an atheist caused me to value and appreciate those who are atheists.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Nirvana is the ultimate spiritual goal in Buddhism and marks the soteriological release from rebirths in saṃsāra

Until Nirvana

You know what. Im curious. Is there much teachings of rebirth and nirvana is the solution to rebirth in any of the Thripitika?

stvdv

Oh? What was your point? A little easier to see, please. :)
According to Buddha (and all agree) life is full of suffering, pain and misery or worse (there is harm)
According to Buddha there is 1 way out, and that is Nirvana
So, until Nirvana is reached, "there is harm (=pain)"
For both who believe and not believe
Nirvana has neither of these

So, harm (=pain) is inherent in being born
(it's a little different view from the one we normally see; it's from Buddha POV)

Until Nirvana

ppp

According to Buddha (and all agree) life is full of suffering, pain and misery or worse (there is harm)
According to Buddha there is 1 way out, and that is Nirvana
So, until Nirvana is reached, "there is harm (=pain)"
For both who believe and not believe
Nirvana has neither of these

So, harm (=pain) is inherent in being born
(it's a little different view from the one we normally see; it's from Buddha POV)
You are saying that harm exists in life irrespective of belief. I agree. But not everything causes harm. And while some lives are actually full of suffering, most lives are only speckled with it to varying degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimos

Haven't you heard a story of a man sitting on a rooftop. Water is rising. A few boats with come along offering help. Man insist "God must come to help me". Man drowns coming at the "Gate of Heaven", blaming God for not rescuing him. to which God answers "I send many people with boats" YOU FOOL ? :)
Yeah I have heard that one before, it's quite good :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There is no If.

God is.

Regards Tony
I agree.

But I don't believe that God cares about anything. God hasn't the human characteristics religion is founded upon. Plans, wishes, love, knowledge, emotions, those are all characteristics a limited, sentient, "being" would have.

God isn't like that. Anybody can tell that by observing Creation.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Haven't you heard a story of a man sitting on a rooftop. Water is rising. A few boats with come along offering help. Man insist "God must come to help me". Man drowns coming at the "Gate of Heaven", blaming God for not rescuing him. to which God answers "I send many people with boats" YOU FOOL ? :)
Yes I have.
It's a great story, illustrating the concept that God doesn't care what happens to you.
But people might.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sorry, I missed to write in the story that there were many other people who were crying for help :)

If God was able to send people to where he was, why the need to cry for a help
while actually they were sent by God to help, nice story but needs some modifications:)

So,
The guy's belief in God not only resulted in his own untimely death, but that of others?

Everyone would have been better off if he hadn't believed in God?

What's the title of this thread, again?
Tom

InvestigateTruth

I believe in God who frequently sent Revelations to guide humanity in each age. The harm is, we will be deprived of the God's guidance, which is necessary for us to be spiritually happy and healthy. However, if a person only believes in God, but does not believe in His revelation or guidence, in my opinion, that has no benefit, and is practically the same as disbelief in God.

ppp

The harm is, we will be deprived of the God's guidance, which is necessary for us to be spiritually happy and healthy.
I am happy and healthy without a god's guidance. And the world is full of religious people who are spiritually happy and healthy with your god's guidance; some of whom have one god, multiple gods, or no gods at all.