• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What harm is there in NOT believing God ?

firedragon

Veteran Member
You quoted the full OP. It consisted of just one line.

View attachment 43138

OP question: "provide example of any harm in NOT believing god"

Your answer: "can make assumptions only. nothing concrete."

I have no idea how else to understand your answer then in the way I said that I understood it. And that way is that one requires belief in god in order to know things for certain. How else could I understand it?

Instead of just saying that I "misunderstood completely", why don't you try clarifying then what you actually meant?

I'm genuinely curious and I have no clue why you feel the need to be so mysterious about it.

The Question: What harm do you see in not believing in God.

Answer: I can only make some assumptions as answer to that question. Nothing concrete.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The Question: What harm do you see in not believing in God.

Answer: I can only make some assumptions as answer to that question. Nothing concrete.
Haaaaaaaaaaaa.

Ok, I see now. Tnx.

I got confused because there is this apologetic out there that says that "without god, you can't know anything for certain". And it sounded like that's where you were going.

Tnx for the clarification.

PAUL MARKHAM

There's no downside to not believing. There are many upsides to not believing.

Not worrying about an afterlife and being good enough to make it.
Saving money, time, effort.
Not believing god can cure me.
Not following any dictates put out by religious leaders.
Helps me understand the world around me.

PAUL MARKHAM

Haven't you heard a story of a man sitting on a rooftop. Water is rising. A few boats with come along offering help. Man insist "God must come to help me". Man drowns coming at the "Gate of Heaven", blaming God for not rescuing him. to which God answers "I send many people with boats" YOU FOOL ? :)
Would the boats not turn up for an Athiest?

chinu

chinu
Would the boats not turn up for an Athiest?

Do you know what a true prayer is ? Let me explain. Hope this will help you.

When somebody finds him/herself in some extreme danger. An Invisible waves automatically start coming out of that person's heart/body. These waves is true-prayer. No matter theist, or atheist. God belongs to both. God doesn't matter whether one believe's in "Him" or not. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Beliefs inform actions.
So logically disbelieving does not inform actions.
That is true if you are only referring to religious/God beliefs.

I agree that NOT believing in God or a religion does not inform actions, but nonbelievers hold other beliefs that do inform actions, such as your belief in lifting up society through helping others etc.
Therefore disbelieving does neither harm nor good.
It's the positive beliefs that one holds that influences actions and decisions.
Things one does not believe, have no influence either way.
So, in that sense, disbelieving doesn't do any good. Neither does it do any harm. Disbeliefs are irrelevant.
I agree. Logically speaking, what we do not believe, religious or otherwise, does neither harm nor good, as far as influencing decisions and actions.

However, religious beliefs can inform action or inaction. For example, the commonly held belief that Christians hold, that Jesus is going to return soon and FIX everything that is wrong in the world leads to a certain complacency whereas the Baha'i belief that humans are responsible for fixing what is wrong in the world leads to action.
I do quite some volunteer work in charities left and right. I do such things as a result of positive beliefs in terms of humanism, because I believe in lifting up society through helping others etc.
These actions are not inspired or motivated by a "disbelief" in anything.
True, but your actions are inspired by a personal belief of yours that lifting up society through helping others is a good thing to do for society.