• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What harm is there in NOT believing God ?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
So,
The guy's belief in God not only resulted in his own untimely death, but that of others?

Everyone would have been better off if he hadn't believed in God?

What's the title of this thread, again?
Tom
I believe that God will help if you approached him heartily.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Believers, provide example of any harm in NOT believing God ?
I prefer metaphors for talking about subtle things and ineffable things.

Not believing in God would be at this point to me somewhat like like not believing in...water, or...air. Trying to avoid God would be at this point sort of like trying to avoid air in some ways. Doable, but not for the best. Ideally, if one persisted in that endeavor of just holding one's breath, the good outcome would be to faint, and then begin to breathe.

Maybe living without God would be somewhat like living without much sleep (say on a lot of caffeine or stimulants), or without the sun and the sky. Or living without any free time to just be and enjoy nature, to just breathe.

These metaphors fall somewhat short, or a lot. They are kinda about one part, but not the rest.

ppp

Not believing in God would be at this point to me somewhat like like not believing in...water, or...air.
When you can directly demonstrate that your god exists in literally the same way that we can demonstrate that water and air exists, then sure. Until till then, your metaphor is fatally broken.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not believing in God would be at this point to me somewhat like like not believing in...water, or...air.
I agree.
It's obvious to me that God exists.

What I am not able to believe is that the character God, found in religious teachings, has any objective existence.
God is real. Religion is fiction.
Tom

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree.

But I don't believe that God cares about anything. God hasn't the human characteristics religion is founded upon. Plans, wishes, love, knowledge, emotions, those are all characteristics a limited, sentient, "being" would have.

God isn't like that. Anybody can tell that by observing Creation.
Tom

I agree Tom as that is what the Baha'i Writings offer. The difference is I see God so Loved Creation that God gave us the ability to Love. In demonstrating what is Love, the opposite of Love is required.

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

God is above all attributes, knowledge and capabilities of our mind and is the creator.

"... Shoghi Effendi, in letters written on his behalf, has explained the significance of the “letters B and E”. They constitute the word “Be”, which, he states, “means the creative Power of God Who through His command causes all things to come into being” and “the power of the Manifestation of God, His great spiritual creative force”.

The imperative “Be” in the original Arabic is the word “kun”, consisting of the two letters “káf” and “nún”. They have been translated by Shoghi Effendi in the above manner. This word has been used in the Qur’án as God’s bidding calling creation into being... "

So all we know of God is that creative power that eminates from the Messenger, the Holy Spirit. That is why many have mistaken the Messenger as God, as they are all we can know of God. At the same time they are not God, they are the cause of life, or our death. They are all that God has given in Attributes.

Big topic Tom, a lot has now been given on this topic.

All the best, good to hear from you.

Regards Tony

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I agree Tom as that is what the Baha'i Writings offer. The difference is I see God so Loved Creation that God gave us the ability to Love. In demonstrating what is Love, the opposite of Love is required.

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

God is above all attributes, knowledge and capabilities of our mind and is the creator.

"... Shoghi Effendi, in letters written on his behalf, has explained the significance of the “letters B and E”. They constitute the word “Be”, which, he states, “means the creative Power of God Who through His command causes all things to come into being” and “the power of the Manifestation of God, His great spiritual creative force”.

The imperative “Be” in the original Arabic is the word “kun”, consisting of the two letters “káf” and “nún”. They have been translated by Shoghi Effendi in the above manner. This word has been used in the Qur’án as God’s bidding calling creation into being... "

So all we know of God is that creative power that eminates from the Messenger, the Holy Spirit. That is why many have mistaken the Messenger as God, as they are all we can know of God. At the same time they are not God, they are the cause of life, or our death. They are all that God has given in Attributes.

Big topic Tom, a lot has now been given on this topic.

All the best, good to hear from you.

Regards Tony

How darkness is created?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If you mean forget:

I did a long time ago.

I desperately wanted to be normal.
Not gay.

God didn't help.
I don't recall trying the God thing after that.
Tom

I believe that you can be a good soul regardless of what gender you're.

Reactions: ppp

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Believers, provide example of any harm in NOT believing God ?

Well, I'll put it from the perspective of having been a believer in God.

Rebirth.

So I thought to myself, cool. I don't mind being reborn. So just for the sake of getting reborn, I decided to become a non-believer.