• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be an expert?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
When it comes to religion/Cultivation What in your understanding does it mean to be an expert?
What does it take to become an expert?

PS: this thread is not an attack on the New member @JW Fan :) but my question did arise from the New member's OP:)

There is a branch of cognitive science that focuses on the study of expertise. (One fun outcome of this is that this means there are "experts experts" :) )

Among these folks, the definition of expertise is something like: "Given normal tasks in the domain, the expert performs reliably."

The real key here is the word "reliably". I play chess sometimes, and occasionally I can correctly guess what a chess master's next move will be. And occasionally I can make a move that a chess master would approve of. But because I'm not an expert, I cannot do that reliably, for 40 moves in a row.

InvestigateTruth

When it comes to religion/Cultivation What in your understanding does it mean to be an expert?

PS: this thread is not an attack on the New member @JW Fan :) but my question did arise from the New member's OP:)
I believe Religion is divinely revealed. No one can be an expert, except a Messenger of God, or His prophets, or chose ones who are given knowledge of God. Religion is not something that one can become an expert by simply studying it, even if he spends the entire life on it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'd call her/him an expert in persuasion - not necessarily an expert in that religion.

I resorted to hyperbole, hopefully at least a tad humorous, as not all religious "experts" have the same amount of education on the subject.

@RabbiO, you're the exception to da rule. ;)

Milton Platt

Generally, the term would denote someone who has had the required number of years of formal study in the relevant field. One can be self taught, but then thee is the problem of discerning if the person actually has all of the relevant knowledge needed on the subject.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
See my last post above.
I still lean to my previous post......in particular the topic of religion

oh sure....I go on as if I am ……..sure

however
as we stand before God and heaven
shall any of us claim the title of expert?

and if we do
won't te angelic of heaven frown?
and the devil standing behind us …….laugh

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An expert. All I can think of is an old joke. An ex is a hasbeen. And a spurt is a drip under pressure. It's kind of a meditation. :)

firedragon

Veteran Member

Thats why there is no degree that says "expert".

Agent

You won't find any around here!

10] To whom shall I speak, and give warning, that they may hear? behold, their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot hearken: behold, the word of the LORD is unto them a reproach; they have no delight in it.
[11] Therefore I am full of the fury of the LORD; I am weary with holding in: I will pour it out upon the children abroad, and upon the assembly of young men together: for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days.
[12] And their houses shall be turned unto others, with their fields and wives together: for I will stretch out my hand upon the inhabitants of the land, saith the LORD.
[13] For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
[14] They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.
[15] Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall: at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.
[16] Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
[17] Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken.
[18] Therefore hear, ye nations, and know, O congregation, what is among them.
[19] Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it. Jer 6

Segev Moran

It takes very little regardless of the religion you practice.
You will be an expert to religious the second you decide to act in the benefit of yours as well as others.
You will be an expert to spirituality the instant you decide and act upon it to be honest and a caring person for others as well as for yourself.
Not judging by "morals".