• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be an expert?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Where does the point of being an expert start?

When you begin to genuinely understand you do not know as much as you thought you did about something. Genuinely understand that you don't know as much -- not just faking that you think you don't know much.

If you honestly feel uncertain about something you've put in a lot of effort to learn, then there's a chance you have become an expert in that area.

At least, that's how I see it.

Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
When you begin to genuinely understand you do not know as much as you thought you did about something. Genuinely understand that you don't know as much -- not just faking that you think you don't know as much.

I just fake not knowing much. :p

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When you begin to genuinely understand you do not know as much as you thought you did about something. Genuinely understand that you don't know as much -- not just faking that you think you don't know as much.

As I see it, to be considered an expert requires being recognized as such by another. You know, kinda like how I'm RF's resident fashion expert.

In my experience, one who touts oneself as an expert without any third party validation is usually a fool.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I just fake not knowing much. :p

Just about everyone does to some extent or another, don't they?

I think you know as well as I do that faking not knowing much is a time-honored technique for deflecting envy and jealousy. And envy and jealousy are things we humans are so often prone to feel for people we suppose are superior to us.

I have known a few people in life -- not very many, but a few -- who are typically happy for people when they catch on that those people are better than them. As one such person told me, "It's like there's hope for humanity after all." But so far as I know, those people are rare.

I don't think this is all there is to it, but I suspect the trick of escaping one's own feelings of envy and jealousy lies in part in accepting yourself and others as you are, rather than trying to 'be as good or better' than other people.

Many people have told me over the years that a good way to mess yourself up is to pay serious attention to your mind's habit of comparing you to others.

But I suspect I'm droning on about stuff you already know. It's a bad habit of mine to get so wrapped up in talking about something that I forget everyone knows more about it than I do.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Being an expert means, to some extent, knowing more than most people about a subject, while also realizing you know almost nothing.

As @Sunstone has said, the true experts tend to be humbled by all that they do NOT know. This is opposed to the dilettante who *thinks* they know so much, but has not yet learned enough to know how much they don't know.

Peer recognition tends to come along with having the knowledge at this level. Some people get PhDs (which suggests you are an 'expert' in one small topic), but in reality the PhD (or other high degree) tends to be a stepping stone, not the end goal of real experts.

When you can simultaneously look at your mentor/teacher and *know* you know more than they (and they acknowledge it), but still *know* you hardly know anything at all, then you are likely to be an expert.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When you can simultaneously look at your mentor/teacher and *know* you know more than they (and they acknowledge it), but still *know* you hardly know anything at all, then you are likely to be an expert.

Unless your mentor/teacher just happens to be one of those dilettantes you speak of. ;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Have I mentioned in this thread yet that I'm an expert on this topic? :D

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
When other people you consider to be experts come to you asking for help, you might be an expert. :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Two or three really good teachers have told me stories of how much it has meant to them when a student ends up surpassing them. One was a martial arts instructor. Another was a university professor. I can only barely remember the third. That one might be a false memory.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When other people you consider to be experts come to you asking for help, you might be an expert. :)

You know, that happens to me rather frequently. Experts ask me for help. Only they're asking for help mowing their lawns and stuff. I've yet to have one ask me for help in his or her field.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You know, that happens to me rather frequently. Experts ask me for help. Only they're asking for help mowing their lawns and stuff. I've yet to have one ask me for help in his or her field.

If you are mowing their field, and take a break, you are:

out standing in their field.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

This almost reads like a smart person's Jeff Foxworthy bit.

But it doesn't quite work reading it in Jeff's voice now, does it?