• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be an expert?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
When it comes to religion/Cultivation What in your understanding does it mean to be an expert?
What does it take to become an expert?

PS: this thread is not an attack on the New member @JW Fan :) but my question did arise from the New member's OP:)
posed in the form of a question seeking answers.....

hmmmmm

I don't believe in recital as a sign of expertise
nor do I consider robes and hats as a sure sign of accomplishment

walk on water? raise the dead?
waaaaaay over my abilities

but if asking a question to hear the line drawn......
are you expert enough to know if the answer is correct?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
posed in the form of a question seeking answers.....

hmmmmm

I don't believe in recital as a sign of expertise
nor do I consider robes and hats as a sure sign of accomplishment

walk on water? raise the dead?
waaaaaay over my abilities

but if asking a question to hear the line drawn......
are you expert enough to know if the answer is correct?
I do not posess the ability to claim i know who is or isn't an expert :) because someone who know more then me would maybe look at the answer different then me, and understand it differently then i do.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I do not posess the ability to claim i know who is or isn't an expert :) because someone who know more then me would maybe look at the answer different then me, and understand it differently then i do.
and the asking is then ?......

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is just nice to understand things.
You might also gain a little expertise along the way.

I like to know enough for it to be useful.
But often I learn enough, to learn enough to know when to cut my losses.
Some times there is so much to learn, and the personal reward so low, it is better to back off. And spend the time on something more rewarding.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In the area of religion, an "expert" is one who can best convince others that he or she is right and that others are less right.

Niblo

Premium Member
'Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.' Ronald Rumsfeld......a true Expert.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Now, back to my research:

tenor.gif

Heyo

Veteran Member
In the area of religion, an "expert" is one who can best convince others that he or she is right and that others are less right.
I'd call her/him an expert in persuasion - not necessarily an expert in that religion.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
When it comes to religion/Cultivation What in your understanding does it mean to be an expert?
What does it take to become an expert?

PS: this thread is not an attack on the New member @JW Fan :) but my question did arise from the New member's OP:)

I think practically, an expert is a person who has already made all of the mistakes. They've already learned what not to do. Not quite sure how that would apply to religion though. WRT religion, how do you know when you've made a mistake?o_O

Thief

Rogue Theologian
mmm......seems more to charlatan than expert

but that would be deliberate

how about?......the blind leading the blind