• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Christ Born a Christian?

Was Jesus Christ born a Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay. So we pretty much have a consensus that Jesus wasn't born a Christian.

Many, if not all, traditions within Christianity believe in Jesus' second coming. When He comes again, will he be born a Christian? If not, will he be considered a Christian? When? Upon baptism?
The idea of the 2nd Coming, is that the Jesus who ascended up into heaven with his resurrected body will return from heaven with that same body. He is not anticipated by anyone that he will be born a baby in a manger a 2nd time and have to go through all that business again. :)

But even so, Jesus never converted to Christianity. He frankly, and one might say literally, rose above religion. So should we. When asked what religion I am, I like to say I'm the same religion God is. You tell me what religion that is?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How are you defining "religion"?
Off the top of my head this morning, I'll share something I've heard before. "Religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.". ;)

Religion is simply the exoteric practical forms and rituals. Spirituality is the esoteric realization of awakening consciousness to the Divine. So when I say we should transcend religion to realize the Divine, that means leaving behind the exoteric forms as the Divine itself, and to realize "God beyond God", as Meister Eckhart put it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
He frankly, and one might say literally, rose above religion.
Everyone wants to force Jesus into their own box. The above is an example of someone who is probably "spiritual not religious" trying to make Jesus into their own image. In fact, what scholars tell us is that Jesus practiced second temple Judaism. I'll go with what the experts say.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Off the top of my head this morning, I'll share something I've heard before. "Religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.". ;)

Religion is simply the exoteric practical forms and rituals. Spirituality is the esoteric realization of awakening consciousness to the Divine. So when I say we should transcend religion to realize the Divine, that means leaving behind the exoteric forms as the Divine itself, and to realize "God beyond God", as Meister Eckhart put it.
I very much agree with this, especially as a follower of Jesus and Gandhi.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everyone wants to force Jesus into their own box.
But not you, of course. You're not part of "everyone".
The above is an example of someone who is probably "spiritual not religious" trying to make Jesus into their own image.
And you are immune to this...
In fact, what scholars tell us is that Jesus practiced second temple Judaism. I'll go with what the experts say.
Will you now? The experts which agree with you?

The point being, the inclusiveness of Jesus' teaching certainly to me, as well as many experts I find value in, see Jesus as teaching that the kingdom of God is not found in a religion or a temple, but is open to all. What do you think this is saying?

Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”​
Now to me, that sounds like he is pointing to the "spiritual but not religious", a faith that transcends religious affiliations. But to fundamentalists and other religious legalists, they see some other meaning perhaps, such as they will need to find the right restored church in New York, or that this will be in the afterlife but certainly not in this lifetime, or some other way to make it fit with their views of Jesus. How do you read that to make it fit your views?

Last edited:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I vote no: it happened during the baptizing event.
I not only agree with this but I want to add that the Christianity Jesus was baptized into was completely different than the Christianity people believe and practice to this day. There are groups claimed to "restore" the original church but it's unlikely they ever really did.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Many, if not all, traditions within Christianity believe in Jesus' second coming. When He comes again, will he be born a Christian? If not, will he be considered a Christian? When? Upon baptism?
No tradition expects Christ to return by being born once more. He is expected to return as Christ the King - and Judge - eek! .

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No tradition expects Christ to return by being born once more. He is expected to return as Christ the King - and Judge - eek! .
Not according to the tradition that the thousands of people who have all claimed they are the return of Jesus seem to believe in. :)

nPeace

Veteran Member

Jesus died once for all time. There is no reason for Jesus to be born again.
Also, Jesus is the Messiah, so he is not a disciple, or follower of the Messiah.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, Jesus was spiritual but not religious. I like the line from the movie "A Knight's Tale" ... "Well, the Pope may be French but Jesus is English".

freelight

Soul Pioneer
Premium Member

He was first born as a human :) - into a Jewish cult-ure and tradition,....as you know 'Christianity' as we know it today in its popular form became organized within a few centuries after his departure.

Many, if not all, traditions within Christianity believe in Jesus' second coming. When He comes again, will he be born a Christian?

As noted earlier,....most christians believe Jesus is coming back in his same current resurrected exalted glorified body (the one he was raised to heaven in), as a Messiah-King or Avenging Angel of 'God' to slay all God's enemies and establish the kingdom of heaven on earth (see Revelation), or whatever.....but he wont be 're-incarnated' as a baby again. But then again, fringe groups or free thinkers can believe anything. - according to Edgar Cayce the soul of Jesus had at least 7 previous incarnations, hes been evolving :)

If not, will he be considered a Christian? When? Upon baptism?

Modern terms or practices of Christianity may not really apply to Jesus, they may be another animal altogether......man-made formulations. We could say that as the Jesus was baptized the first time, the dove of the holy spirit alighted upon him and a voice from heaven declared him to be God's SON, "today I have begotten you".......so it was then that the man Jesus was 'christened' (anointed) by God and declared to be the Son of God, but not a 'christian' in the conventional sense. This is the Adoptionist view. (the man Jesus was adopted by God, then empowered and anointed at his baptism to carry on his mission as God's Son).

Frankly I wonder what Jesus would think of the evolution and fruit of so called 'Christianity' since his first sojourn here. Would he really want to return? (he pondered if he would really find faith on earth, and wish fire were kindled on it!).... and perhaps his way of return may be different than whats written about it, maybe even words being 'put' into his mouth in certain passages. One could also argue that Jesus prophecy of his return so that those in that generation would SEE IT, was a failed prophecy. - some can show the receipts on that one.

On an esoteric level (which might be what is essential), its about 'Christ' being formed within the soul as that spark of divinity and love, that enables a transformation or a resurrection of consciousness heavenward. After all, We are the temples of 'God'. Its about the spirit-spark and consciousness of 'God' in US, and how we allow it to unfold within us, that avails for anything. Perhaps? Just one point of view :)

-------------------o

DNB

Christian
Simple poll. Anyone can respond.
The term 'Christian' refers to those who follow the teachings of Jesus, most importantly his Messianic fulfillment.
Thus, considering that the term is anachronous to Jesus' birth, we can theorize that, no, Jesus was not a 'Christian at birth.
But, more fundamentally speaking, considering that Jesus had to achieve perfection, first through studying the Scriptures, and then acting upon his convictions, he wouldn't have even been aware of his pre-eminence as a new born, or within the first few years of his life.

Jesus acquired knowledge, wisdom and understanding throughout his life, he was not endowed with omniscience, nor was he God, ever.
So, no, only when Jesus became spiritually mature did he realize his purpose on earth and his future destiny.