• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Christ Born a Christian?

Was Jesus Christ born a Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Zwing

You may claim anything you like .. "the gap is closing" is merely a ploy..
..as is "religion is ancient superstition" etc.
A “ploy”? Not sure what you mean, but that’s okay. You’re okay in my book, Muhammad. At least you don’t constantly smile at me parenthetically while we are arguing.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You may claim anything you like .. "the gap is closing" is merely a ploy..
..as is "religion is ancient superstition" etc.

It is quite obvious that the brain has important functions.
Try running software on a faulty processor. It's useless.
Seriously, he is referring to a genuine real thing that is happening in the sciences. Because you are less educated, you are unaware that this is happening. But among those with college degrees, this is pretty common knowledge.

IndigoChild5559

Software is just data, but ordered in a certain way, to be meaningful when interacting with
hardware.

A thought is an abstract concept. It means more than a series of chemico-electric impulses.
It is incorrect to say that software is data. Much of software is what the machine is expected to DO with the data. You know, I'm very computer illiterate, but I did learn Basic back in 1979, so I have a pretty good idea what exactly software is.

muhammad_isa

Seriously, he is referring to a genuine real thing that is happening in the sciences. Because you are less educated, you are unaware that this is happening. But among those with college degrees, this is pretty common knowledge.
Don't get carried away. Arrogance is our downfall.
Knowledge is a good thing .. but not if it fools us into thinking that mankind knows better than God.

The Bible and Qur'an are very clear .. life after death is a reality.

IndigoChild5559

I vote no: it happened during the baptizing event.
John's baptisms did not convert anyone to Christianity (that religion did not even exist yet). Rather he was doing Jewish immersion. Jewish immersion is typically done as a way to remedy ritual impurity, but is also sometimes done if a person has gone off the derech and is returning, aka repentence. For example, let's say I apostatize and become a Christian, then later regret it and return to Judaism -- I would immerse in a mikvah.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
No, it did not. Jesus was never a Christian -- he was a Jew. John the Baptist understood baptism to be the acknowledgement of one's sin, a desire for spiritual cleansing, and a commitment to follow God's law. AS A JEW.

Whatevs. You're welcome to your opinion.

And Jews are always Jews, cradle to grave.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
John's baptisms did not convert anyone to Christianity (that religion did not even exist yet). Rather he was doing Jewish immersion. Jewish immersion is typically done as a way to remedy ritual impurity, but is also sometimes done if a person has gone off the derech and is returning, aka repentence. For example, let's say I apostatize and become a Christian, then later regret it and return to Judaism -- I would immerse in a mikvah.

OK. I know. So what? If you read what I write, it doesn't contradict anything I said.

IndigoChild5559

Don't get carried away. Arrogance is our downfall.
Knowledge is a good thing .. but not if it fools us into thinking that mankind knows better than God.

The Bible and Qur'an are very clear .. life after death is a reality.
The conversation is not even about life after death. I'm seriously questioning your ability to think rationally.

The Bible and Quran are religious texts, not science texts. They are written by men who are doing the best they can to talk about God and how to live. There is nothing magical about them. They contain errors, even moral errors. But they serve to instruct and inspire those who seek to draw closer to God and cultivate a more virtuous existence.

None of this has anything to do with the topic that was being discussed, which was that psychology does not really make a distinction between mind and brain, and studies both.

Please, I realize it is apparently difficult for you, but if you could make the effort to stay on topic, it would really help the conversation.

Did you visit the psychobiology site I offered? I really think you should. And honestly, Sapolsky's lectures are A+. You won't regret the time it takes to watch a few and get a feel for the intersection of biology with psychology and behavior. I consider watching the 25 lecture series to be one of the highlights of my life.

muhammad_isa

None of this has anything to do with the topic that was being discussed, which was that psychology does not really make a distinction between mind and brain, and studies both.
Some psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior. Others explore the physiological and neurobiological processes that underlie cognitive functions and behaviors.
- Wikipedia -

I am well aware of it.
That does not mean that "a thought" can be represented by "meat".

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The story goes that soon after Jesus' birth in he stable Joseph hit his head on a low beam and cried out "Jesus Christ!". Mary said "That's a nice name. Let's call him that."

Zwing

The story goes that soon after Jesus' birth in he stable Joseph hit his head on a low beam and cried out "Jesus Christ!". Mary said "That's a nice name. Let's call him that."
Are you sure it wasn’t “Jesus H. Christ!”? I seem to have heard that many times… Not sure what the “H” stands for, though. Henry? Hernando? How do you say “Hernando” in Aramaic?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Are you sure it wasn’t “Jesus H. Christ!”? I seem to have heard that many times… Not sure what the “H” stands for, though. Henry? Hernando? How do you say “Hernando” in Aramaic?
I definitely heard it without the "H", but it works either way.

Horatio, I think. Imagine if the religion was now called Horationity!

DNB

Christian
But you really have to nail down exactly what it means to "follow the teachings of Jesus." For example, there are people who have an appreciation for the sermon on the mount but who are not Christians. In my decades of trying to make sense of Christianity, I think it pretty much comes down to the following teaching: that Jesus is the messiah who died for your sins. If you believe that, you fall into the very diverse category of Christian. If you don't, then you are not a Christian of any sort.
Well, yes, I agree, ...as I stated, '...most importantly, belief in his Messianic fulfillment'.
That being, as you said, he died, in one form or another, for our sins - my belief is that he abrogated the Levitical Law which held all men accountable, who seek to please God: Jews and proselytes alike.
I say this as opposed to Penal Substitution or Christus Victor or Ransom, or any other atonement theories out there.