• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Though I am not an American, nor a Trump supporter, I have my doubts that the Republican party will be destroyed if he gets the nomination. There is a very real possibility that he will secure the nomination and little chance that Bush or Rubio will sneak past him to catch the coveted prize. Likewise, with the Trumpinator having the official backing of the Republican party you would likely see him move to slightly more moderate positions as he would clearly understand that he has a very real chance of becoming POTUS. No doubt the media will be dumbstruck that Republicans will circle the wagons around Trump with former foes singing his praises and congratulating Ted Cruz for being asked to run as VP. Unexpected, Shocking, Unimaginable will probably scream from the headlines as the pundits claim how nobody saw this coming...

David1967

Premium Member
Though I am not an American, nor a Trump supporter, I have my doubts that the Republican party will be destroyed if he gets the nomination. There is a very real possibility that he will secure the nomination and little chance that Bush or Rubio will sneak past him to catch the coveted prize. Likewise, with the Trumpinator having the official backing of the Republican party you would likely see him move to slightly more moderate positions as he would clearly understand that he has a very real chance of becoming POTUS. No doubt the media will be dumbstruck that Republicans will circle the wagons around Trump with former foes singing his praises and congratulating Ted Cruz for being asked to run as VP. Unexpected, Shocking, Unimaginable will probably scream from the headlines as the pundits claim how nobody saw this coming...

In reality the president has limited power outside the congress. One man is not going to get elected and completely destroy the country, or save it for that matter. We hear it every election. Some will do a better job than others but to be any kind of leader they will have to work with people on both sides of the aisle. Otherwise its just a stalemate with both sides blaming the other and getting nothing done of benefit to the people. Kinda whats been happening anyway.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
There is almost no chance Trump will win the Presidency and only a small chance he will win the Republican nomination. I am sick of the overexposure he gets by a media hungry for controversy. They are unintentionally creating him. The Presidential election gets over-reported too soon. The other candidates are pretty bland at this time is another factor.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am saddened that some of you have less respect for me because of my present support for Trump. But I will not apologize, I will not fall for all the bull ****e vomited forth from the US government over the past umpteen years. We need real Change. Trump represents this. Hillary Clinton represents the status quo, more lies more corruption. No way, no more!
And let's not forget that she's the pro-war candidate, having voted for 2 wars so far, & now threatening Iran.
I have real problems with Trump. But the worries directed towards him are distracting from her potential for evil.

Laika

Premium Member
I am saddened that some of you have less respect for me because of my present support for Trump. But I will not apologize, I will not fall for all the bull ****e vomited forth from the US government over the past umpteen years. We need real Change. Trump represents this. Hillary Clinton represents the status quo, more lies more corruption. No way, no more!

I will endevour not to lose or disrespect you Adra. Its different to talk with people who support Trump than with the myth or sterotype you create in your head. But with Marie le Pen doing well in France and Nigel Farage still a significant presence in the UK, it is very hard for me to avoid the conclusion that Trump is the new face of Fascism. if the UK or possibly even France "flipped" it would create regional problems. But if America goes- that is everybody's problem because of Americas status as a super power.

I'm not going to deny that there needs to be a "real" change in America. There are alot of things wrong. I think you know me better than that. If I were a democrat, I'd probably still be scratching my head between the choice of Sanders-Clinton as "we've been here before" with Obama. But I would seriously question whether Trump offers the change you really want or will finally finish america off.

Well Laika, I am sorry you feel this way. I am an American and I am, at least so far, a supporter of Donald Trump. I am sick of the past seven years of the Borak Obama administrations extreme ideology and political correctness and mamby pambying around all the important issues and problems. Donald Trump is speaking and saying what at least 56% + of Americans are actually thinking. America must become energy independent, our immigration system is deeply inept, hence the call for a temporary halt on some immigration, due to the threat that Islamic extremism from other countries poses until we can improve the vetting system. They hate us and are at war with us, hence ISIS.

I am sick of hearing the lie that "climate change" is the worlds greatest threat. It is a hoax and I will not debate it. Borak Obama is a disgrace and his presidency has been a total disaster. It is his failed administration which has made the way for the rise of Donald Trump. All Hillary Clinton offers is just a continuation of the same old corrupt political system, more than likely, on steroids.

Give me four years in the White House and you'll be begging for Obama back. Trust me. :D Obama is a pragmatist. By european standards he's even still pretty right-wing. that's why he's "mamby pambying around all the important issues"; he's looking for low cost, low risk solutions to the problems. that's why he uses drone strikes so much in pakistan and the middle east as it saves american lives even though it does create alot of "collaterial damage" on the ground due to false positives and huge resentment (people can't see the drones so they are living in terror of them). my honest opinion of obama is that he's been a steady hand over the past eight years, but he has utterly failed to live up to expectations that he was elected on. but we need another four to eight years to get through this, or its pretty much all over. whatever chance we may have had will have been wasted and this century will be a write-off.I'm trying to walk away from the thought of a 21st century Stalin as it just makes me want to sit quietly in the corner and cry.

America will become energy independent probably by about 2035 due to the use of oil shale. it won't be overnight, but it is happening. that is good as it means America can step back from the Middle east.

The American immigration system already has ideological controls on who can become a US citizen. (I've said it a couple of times in the past week, but I can't become a US citizen, even decades from now because of communist party membership). There are already laws on the statute books that are draconian but simply haven't been used or widely publicised because they are from the McCarthy era.

The problem with ISIL is not simply that "they are at war with you", but they need to **** the US off enough to totally de-stablise the middle east. The US invasion of Iraq in 2003 with a gift for Islamic Fundamentalism and it's unlikely that ISIL could have gained power in the region without it. As Putin said, ISIL fighters largely aren't doing it for the ideological or religious reasons; they are hired mercenaries, and ISIL has control of the oil fields and so can pay them more. If that's right, the US has got it wrong by trying to support the "moderate, democratic opposition" because the mercenaries just go and join ISIL, bringing US hardware with them. ISIL are waging a gurrella campign and terrorism is a way of making us over-react and polarising an already unstable region.

On the immigration thing, I admit "I don't know what to do". There is clearly a deep-seated clash of values and ideologies and it isn't going to dissapear any-time soon. The "best" outcome from our point of view is an "Islamic reformation" which brings the muslim world in line with western, secular and liberal values.sheer military force can't do it- there has to be a bottom-up grass roots movement in the region that pushes back both ISIL and the less dangerous but no more sympathetic Islamic regiemes. The US has been supporting dictatorships in there for too long and there needs to be a re-think about what role America plays in the middle east. ISIL is the result of years, perhaps decades, of American machivellianism over oil. Closing the door on Muslims simply because they are Muslim is both un-american, racist (in so far as we think Muslims=Terrorists) and will send a clear signal to the region that we couldn't care less about their fate and are leaving them at the mercy of ISIL, Assad and co. its a simple "solution" to a complicated and long-term problem. We can say "Je Suis Paris" all we want, but falling back on the White Supremacist view that western lives are more valuable than those of people in the middle east because "it's there fault", "they brought it on themselves" and "why should we care about those who won't help themselves" pretty much hands the region over to ISIL. we admit we've given up on them and if we make Islam the enemy we kill any hope of a peaceful outcome. Even George W Bush described Islam as a "religion of peace". I'd never thought I'd be thinking him a moderate.

I'm sick of hearing "climate change" too. I'm fed up with being told how important it is and I want something done about it. I'm fed up of being told how the world is going to end and why there is nothing I can do. part of me goes "that's my future they're talking about! **** you!" Honestly, The environmental movement has totally mis-played their card by turning climate change into the bogey man and using the "fear" factor. it has handed alot of people over to the "denialist" camp because it is a terrifying idea. environmentalists have to start being pro-active in proposing solutions rather than just fear-mongering. The "debate" on climate change is manipulative on BOTH sides, and yeah, the eco-warriors are pushing a social adgenda based on the assumption of moral superiority which often gets in the way of getting things done.

So I get it. America is in a ****ty, aweful, dark place right now- but I think it will get a hell of a lot worse with Trump knowing the nuclear launch codes.

[gets chills...]

I agree with you on this. Its the "nobody saw this coming" nonesense that means people won't act and could let Trump in by under-estimating him and the feriousity of the Republican base. they've had alot of practice over Obama's presidency and they may just be getting warmed up.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Well Laika, I am sorry you feel this way. I am an American and I am, at least so far, a supporter of Donald Trump. I am sick of the past seven years of the Borak Obama administrations extreme ideology and political correctness and mamby pambying around all the important issues and problems. Donald Trump is speaking and saying what at least 56% + of Americans are actually thinking. America must become energy independent, our immigration system is deeply inept, hence the call for a temporary halt on some immigration, due to the threat that Islamic extremism from other countries poses until we can improve the vetting system. They hate us and are at war with us, hence ISIS.

I am sick of hearing the lie that "climate change" is the worlds greatest threat. It is a hoax and I will not debate it. Borak Obama is a disgrace and his presidency has been a total disaster. It is his failed administration which has made the way for the rise of Donald Trump. All Hillary Clinton offers is just a continuation of the same old corrupt political system, more than likely, on steroids.
none of that explains what is good about trump.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Farage is not a force in GB, he is a fringe party that after the EU referendum in the next year or two will go away. The party just blew and opportunity to win a by-election and Farage was seen bleating about "Postal voting" despite not producing any evidence.

Trump is a frightening phenomenon, he is a failed business man who has been declared bankrupt numerous times. He was left a load of money and if he had stuck it in a bank he would have made more money in interest than he has with his 'brilliant' business acumen.

Watch "You've Been Trumped" he is a nasty bully (unfortunately the SNP fell for his bull**** at the time, they have now thank goodness seen sense)

You've Been Trumped can be found here...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

So you agree with Trump's sexism, racism, xenophobia, and hatred of Muslims? Interesting.

Some family members applied for immigration to the United States about two months ago. They certainly don't support ISIS, and they obviously don't pose a threat of terrorism to Americans. They don't "hate" you or are "at war" with you. I don't know if you realize just how offensive and uninformed your generalization sounds to someone who deals with Muslims on a daily basis.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female

Let me explain you something....

You the americans may not be fond of Obama but 3rd world says just the opposite. After the shock of George W.Bush,Obama is like a prozac for the 3rd world where I live. They simply like him.

Akivah

Who a person decides to vote for has nothing to do with whether I will be their friend. I have friends far to the left and right of me. I consider them friends just the same and have had highly entertaining and sometimes informative conversations with them all. One thing I have noticed that the extreme left and extreme right have in common is that they both shout down and ridicule another who is of a differing opinion. And you are right. Politics is a sensitive subject among friends.

I agree. In my circle of friends, I am the only Republican. I am also the only one that is married and that is employed. Funny how those line up. Anyways, I don't discuss politics with them since they just shout me down and refuse to listen to my opinions. Another funny thing, is that despite their strong Democratic positions, I am the only one that actually votes. So in the end, it is only my opinion that counts.

David1967

Premium Member
I agree. In my circle of friends, I am the only Republican. I am also the only one that is married and that is employed. Funny how those line up. Anyways, I don't discuss politics with them since they just shout me down and refuse to listen to my opinions. Another funny thing, is that despite their strong Democratic positions, I am the only one that actually votes. So in the end, it is only my opinion that counts.
Sounds like we have some of the same friends. I dont argue with them much. Mostly I just nod and smile . I did have a sticky situation once when one of my far left and far right friends nearly had a physical altercation in my shop over a political disagreement. Now there is no more political talk allowed in the business. :)

David1967

Premium Member
Nevermind Obama. I'm missing the golden years of the Bush presidency.
Funny you should say that. I was better off financially during his presidency and my health care was more affordable and actually covered something. Unlike now.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So you agree with Trump's sexism, racism, xenophobia, and hatred of Muslims? Interesting.

Some family members applied for immigration to the United States about two months ago. They certainly don't support ISIS, and they obviously don't pose a threat of terrorism to Americans. They don't "hate" you or are "at war" with you. I don't know if you realize just how offensive and uninformed your generalization sounds to someone who deals with Muslims on a daily basis.
I, on the other hand, suspect that the offensiveness is fully intended.

David1967

Premium Member
Like when we had 50 million that were uninsured and the medical inflation rate was averaging a bit over 9% per year?
You are correct on that Metis. The health care inflation was bad then, but I think it is worse now with the "affordable care act". I am speaking from my own personal experience. Before the ACA, my insurance was not good but after it took effect my rates went way up, my deductable quadrupled and my coverage is practically non existent. But its all I can afford. And I am not rich by any stretch. Not defending how it was last decade but getting health care for the nation should not be emaciating the health care plans and then making it against the law not to buy the inferior product. The promise was that it was going to save us money. Its like I was forced to buy a car with no wheels and no engine. I don't know why we didn't model it after, for example, Canada's health care system that according to what I have heard from people that they are happy with. Just a thought.

averageJOE

zombie
He plans to:
1. Build a 2000 mile long wall on the US/Mexico border and make Mexico pay for it.
2. A mass deportation of 2 million immigrants.
3. End birth right citizenship.
4. Set up surveillance on mosques.
5. Is open to the idea of entering Muslims into a database.
6. Ban Muslims from entering the country.
7. Repeal ObamaCare and replace it with something "terrific".
8. Require other countries to pay the US if they need any kind of military help.

(Not only are there people out there that think he can really do all that, but that there are people who are in favor of all of it.)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You are correct on that Metis. The health care inflation was bad then, but I think it is worse now with the "affordable care act". I am speaking from my own personal experience. Before the ACA, my insurance was not good but after it took effect my rates went way up, my deductable quadrupled and my coverage is practically non existent. But its all I can afford. And I am not rich by any stretch. Not defending how it was last decade but getting health care for the nation should not be emaciating the health care plans and then making it against the law not to buy the inferior product. The promise was that it was going to save us money. Its like I was forced to buy a car with no wheels and no engine. I don't know why we didn't model it after, for example, Canada's health care system that according to what I have heard from people that they are happy with. Just a thought.
Actually the medical inflation rate has declined substantially since the ACA was enacted, but what many are encountering are companies increasing co-pays and deductibles due to competition between them as the name of the game is to "streamline".

David1967

Premium Member
Actually the medical inflation rate has declined substantially since the ACA was enacted, but what many are encountering are companies increasing co-pays and deductibles due to competition between them as the name of the game is to "streamline".
So when are things actually going to improve? For now it is a disaster. I hate it that I am being forced to pay high prices for nothing.