• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Throw Your Rockets Far" and Other Poems by Sunstone

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I created a small album of 14 poems in my profile last night for anyone interested in reading some of my stuff. I tried to provide a little bit of variety in the selections.

Here's a list of titles:

Throw Your Rockets Far -- One view of the timelessness of human nature.

Without You -- Looking back on an abusive relationship.

Who Comes by Far -- Perhaps one reason you might be attracted to travelers. Set in the ancient world.

Sarah -- A portrait poem written to and about a 16 year old friend.

Waking in a Coffee Shop -- An early morning visit to a coffee shop.

That too Astonished Me -- On the timelessness of nature.

Silence -- On experiencing a profound inner calm.

We were so Unbounded -- Love over the internet.

Tara Lynn -- On the fragility of love.

The Cicada -- Another poem on the timelessness of nature.

Whispers to the River -- Written to remind a friend who was afflicted with depression of our interconnectedness.

The Mists -- On the interplay of love and lust in romantic love.

Hands Remember -- One way you might remember your lover.

Paula Crossed the River -- A portrait poem written on the loss of a friend.

By the way, I don't guarantee any of these brief descriptions are wholly accurate. They're just the best I could come up with on short notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sympathy frubals to anyone who falls ill and has a near death experience while attempting to read all 14 poems.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Wow. I'm impressed. It takes courage to put up poetry and I'm glad you have it.
I liked them all. I particularly liked "Who comes by Far" and "The Cicada" - enough that I'll memorize them. "The Cicada" gave me that thing that only poetry can give.
While I enjoyed the poem, I'm not sure that I agree with the sentiment in "The mists" that "No lasting love is ever pure". But that just picking nits.
I couldn't get 'Paula crossed the river' - could you try to post it again?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Wow. I'm impressed. It takes courage to put up poetry and I'm glad you have it.
I liked them all. I particularly liked "Who comes by Far" and "The Cicada" - enough that I'll memorize them. "The Cicada" gave me that thing that only poetry can give.
While I enjoyed the poem, I'm not sure that I agree with the sentiment in "The mists" that "No lasting love is ever pure". But that just picking nits.
I couldn't get 'Paula crossed the river' - could you try to post it again?

I just now reposted it. Thank you so much for your reading and comments!!!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

That's a good point. Surely there's room for both our opinions in this world. Who knows? You might be right! I can only write from my own experience and hunches though.

Nanda

Polyanna
Those were all wonderful, Sunstone, but I especially loved "Throw Your Rockets Far," "Sarah," "Tara Lynn," "We were so Unbounded" and "The Mists." Thank you so much for sharing these.

Nanda

Polyanna
Aha! Do you mean that no lasting love exists without lust? Read that way it really clicks with me. I like it. Thanks.

That's how I saw it, at least partly. But that's the beauty of poetry, isn't it? It's so open to the individual reader's interpretation.

Renji

Love your " Whispers to the river". It's a free verse but it's a "yes" for me;). If I only read this post earlier, then I would not suffer of thinking lines for my poems as my project in English:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Aha! Do you mean that no lasting love exists without lust? Read that way it really clicks with me. I like it. Thanks.

That's how I saw it, at least partly. But that's the beauty of poetry, isn't it? It's so open to the individual reader's interpretation.

I like your interpretation! Of course, Nanda is right that poetry often has many possible interpretations -- and not all of them need be intended by the author.

Nanda

Polyanna
I like your interpretation! Of course, Nanda is right that poetry often has many possible interpretations -- and not all of them need be intended by the author.

And I love how many times, a line can have multiple meanings at once.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I like the idea that poetry can connect us with somewhere similar to the Aboriginals dreamtime. That primal energy inside. The two I particularly liked, "Who comes by Far" and "The Cicada" tickled that special poetry place inside me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I like the idea that poetry can connect us with somewhere similar to the Aboriginals dreamtime. That primal energy inside.

YES!!!! I love your idea. That is very similar to Robert Bly's notion that poetry must "dip down into the subconscious and ladle up some of its waters for us", as he more or less puts it.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
You have such a passion for writing, Phil. Have you thought about submitting anything for a more formal publication? I know it's hard to get poetry out there on a large scale (unless you can convince Disney to force Zac Efron to sing it), but I think several of these are worth getting into more serious literary media than RF and your blog - maybe a local or regional poetry journal . . .

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Highly delicate, sensitive and gentle expression. all of the pieces.
I wish I could give you more input on each, but at the moment im taking in the sensation of reading them.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Phil the depth and emotion involved is beautiful. I particularly enjoyed "Sarah". I remember several stories on your blog which is reflected once again by your poetry. Thanks for sharing these.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;1394513 said:
You have such a passion for writing, Phil. Have you thought about submitting anything for a more formal publication? I know it's hard to get poetry out there on a large scale (unless you can convince Disney to force Zac Efron to sing it), but I think several of these are worth getting into more serious literary media than RF and your blog - maybe a local or regional poetry journal . . .

I hadn't thought about publishing them in any way other than they are published. But now you've got me thinking, Brendan. I wonder....