• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Throw Your Rockets Far" and Other Poems by Sunstone

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I liked the (unintentional?) rhyming of "been" and "pen" in the first stanza...

I no longer recall whether that was intentional or not.

I assume the whole thing's about losing one's virginity to a partner who doesn't stick around, but realizing it's not the end of the world, and only nature after all.

I don't know who Sarah lost her virginity to, but she gave a ring to one of her early lovers -- perhaps to her first lover. The ring was part of a pair of silver rings that could be fastened together and worn as a single ring. They were designed so that when fastened together a silver man and a silver woman danced together. She unfastened them and gave the silver woman to her lover, but kept the silver man, who then had to dance alone. The woman was never returned to her.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Then none of us are ever young. We fear falling, innately, from birth.

Oh Boy! The first ever debate thread in the poetry forum! :clap

The key words here, Falvlun, are "corrupted by", not "fear".

Stellify

StarChild
Without You, Tara Lynn, and Whispers to the River.
They were wonderful. The chills were in a good way. It's that feeling you get when a poem or a phrase comes from someone else and strikes a chord in you; it's something I could imagine myself writing (some parts were very close to pieces I have written)...It never ceases to be an odd and enjoyable sensation to read or hear my thoughts coming from another's lips :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Without You, Tara Lynn, and Whispers to the River.
They were wonderful. The chills were in a good way. It's that feeling you get when a poem or a phrase comes from someone else and strikes a chord in you; it's something I could imagine myself writing (some parts were very close to pieces I have written)...It never ceases to be an odd and enjoyable sensation to read or hear my thoughts coming from another's lips :)

Thank you for the feedback, Stellify! Have you considered posting some of your own poetry here? I'm quite curious to read you.

Stellify

StarChild
*Buttons and I used to read our poetry to each other all the time. A few of hers that I helped write are here on the forums, somewhere. Although they were written to amuse us as we conversed and giggled over the phone lol.
Mine...I wouldn't mind posting them, other than being incredibly embarrassed :eek: I've honestly never considered myself more than mediocre when it comes to writing, and I haven't come up with anything new in ages. But it's always been a pastime I've loved, and oftentimes an outlet I desperately needed when I was younger :rolleyes:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've honestly never considered myself more than mediocre when it comes to writing....

It's interesting you've never considered your writing to be more than mediocre. It's not the first time I've heard of someone being too modest. I don't really know how good you are, Stellify, but based on those poems you sent, I know you're above average.

Stellify

StarChild
It's interesting you've never considered your writing to be more than mediocre. It's not the first time I've heard of someone being too modest. I don't really know how good you are, Stellify, but based on those poems you sent, I know you're above average.

Oh, stop it. You're making me blush and get all flustered. :eek:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Oh, stop it. You're making me blush and get all flustered. :eek:

Sorry, but when it comes to compliments, I tend to blurt out what I'm thinking, and I'm just too darn old to change me. But you can try. Most everyone else does. :D

Stellify

StarChild
Sorry, but when it comes to compliments, I tend to blurt out what I'm thinking, and I'm just too darn old to change me. But you can try. Most everyone else does. :D

Haha I think you're too absolutely sweet to change :D And really, I just can't take compliments. I can take the dirtiest, most vulgar jokes and stories without batting an eyelash...but gods forbid someone give me a compliment! Then I turn five different shades of red lol :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Haha I think you're too absolutely sweet to change :D

You are going to ruin my reputation if you keep calling me "sweet". But thank you anyway! :)

And really, I just can't take compliments. I can take the dirtiest, most vulgar jokes and stories without batting an eyelash...but gods forbid someone give me a compliment! Then I turn five different shades of red lol :p

Interesting! That must cause an amusing situation from time to time.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
Thank you so much for your very thoughtful and helpful comments!
The pleasure is all mine. :D

I don't know who Sarah lost her virginity to, but she gave a ring to one of her early lovers -- perhaps to her first lover. The ring was part of a pair of silver rings that could be fastened together and worn as a single ring. They were designed so that when fastened together a silver man and a silver woman danced together. She unfastened them and gave the silver woman to her lover, but kept the silver man, who then had to dance alone. The woman was never returned to her.
It sounds like a very beautiful ring! I might have been a little unfair to poor Sarah...

Sunstone said:
By the way, "Silence" was originally 110 lines long and packed with thundering metaphysics. But somehow that seemed to defeat the meaning of the poem, so I edited it down to four lines.
That is truly an impressive feat! How did you choose which lines? Editting out the superfluous sentences was the hardest part for me in writing papers (as I am naturally verbose :D). Were you able to recycle any of the lines for a new poem?

I do agree, though: the end result of "Silence" was beautiful in its simplicity.

Quagmire said:
Oh Boy! The first ever debate thread in the poetry forum! :clap

The key words here, Falvlun, are "corrupted by", not "fear".

Hehe. I was being a little combative. I see the distinction you are making: that fear may exist, but it has not yet corrupted. But how would you describe "corrupted"? I was going to say that fear corrupts when it changes the direction of your natural inclination, but some fears which do just that are necessary for survival in the young (Don't go near the pool, Johnny, when Mommy's not around...).

Last edited: