• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NAACP Owes Donald Trump an Apology

The President of the NAACP Owes Trump an Apology if Jussie Smollett Lied

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stanyon

WWMRD?
if it turns out that Jussie Smollett did arrange the attack on himself

Agree or disagree?

This is what NAACP president and CEO Derrick Johnson said in a statement about the attack:

"The recent racist and homophobic attack on acclaimed actor and activist Jussie Smollett is troubling. The rise in hate crimes is directly linked to President Donald J. Trump’s racist and xenophobic rhetoric. It is dangerous for any society to allow a tone of divisiveness and hatred to dominate the political discourse. As this rhetoric continues to bleed into our everyday lives, dangerous behavior will continue to place many law-abiding individuals at risk. We pray for a full physical and mental recovery Jussie Smollett and many unnamed victims of this forum of hate based terrorism."

As a bonus create a funny picture about the incident just in case Jussie is found guilty, samples below:

2u26e1.jpg

2u271u.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There'd be no apology.
This is because the attack wasn't fundamental to their attitude.
It merely confirmed their feelings, which remain the same.
I predict that they'll even spin Smollett's bigotry & dishonesty to
somehow confirm the evil of Trump & anyone who voted for him.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Hmmm.... really hard to believe anyone or any group owing him an apology. Yeah, well, hard to believe he's where he is. Stranger things...

HonestJoe

No more than they would if Smollett’s allegations turned out to be true. There is a distinction between the singular high profile incident which inspired their statement and the meat of what they’re saying, which refers to a more general increase in incidents and attributes the words and actions of the President as factors in that.

I don’t think they’re right (at the very best they’re being grossly over-simplistic about a complex issue) and I’m not a fan of using single incidents as platforms for generic extensions (though they’re far from alone in that, including Trump himself) but whatever the truth of Smollett’s incident turns out to be won’t impact the rights and wrongs of this statement either way.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
if it turns out that Jussie Smollett did arrange the attack on himself

Agree or disagree?

This is what NAACP president and CEO Derrick Johnson said in a statement about the attack:

"The recent racist and homophobic attack on acclaimed actor and activist Jussie Smollett is troubling. The rise in hate crimes is directly linked to President Donald J. Trump’s racist and xenophobic rhetoric. It is dangerous for any society to allow a tone of divisiveness and hatred to dominate the political discourse. As this rhetoric continues to bleed into our everyday lives, dangerous behavior will continue to place many law-abiding individuals at risk. We pray for a full physical and mental recovery Jussie Smollett and many unnamed victims of this forum of hate based terrorism."
The quote doesn't blame Trump for this attack specifically, it just acknowledges that there has been a rise in hate crimes since Trump's candidacy and rise to power and posits this attack as potentially being linked to it.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I'll admit, I thought that stood for the North American something Communist Party for a second.
:eek:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is rather amazing how the Trumpettes clutch so furiously at this one thin straw. The reason that Jussie's attack seemed possible was due to the increased race and sexual orientation attacks which appears to be tied rather strongly to conservative elements. There are serious problems out there for the world of conservatives. To a lesser degree the same problems occur for the left, but when one side is attacking people for more than the other side that is the one that needs to be dealt with first. At the very worst the NAACP needs to admit that this one example was not a case of a hate crime. That does not make the raised level of those crimes go away.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The old 2-wrongs-make-right philosophy, eh.
Except that what Derrick Johnson said wasn't wrong. I think it's rather overblown, but not false.
As opposed to many of Trump's most cringeworthy assertions. And then there's the fact that Johnson is a private citizen. Trump is POTUS. There really isn't an equivalency here, as much as you'd like there to be.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Except that what Derrick Johnson said wasn't wrong. I think it's rather overblown, but not false.
As opposed to many of Trump's most cringeworthy assertions. And then there's the fact that Johnson is a private citizen. Trump is POTUS. There really isn't an equivalency here, as much as you'd like there to be.
Tom
Oh, you liberals....always misusing & not understanding equivalency.
Let me explain it for you.
I'll speak slowly.
He was justifying NAACP misbehavior using Trump's misbehavior, ie, whataboutism.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is rather amazing how the Trumpettes clutch so furiously at this one thin straw.
It is rather amazing how the anti-Trumpettes clutch so furiously to this
fraud of theirs as further demonization of Trump. They commit & make
hay from fraud, & still it's somehow Trump's fault, but not their own.
They're so filled with blind hatred for the guy who beat beloved Hillary
that they'll overlook any wrong their side commits.

This was major news when they believed Smollett's story.
But when it was found to be false, it becomes a "thin straw".
Does the left have any values other than hatred for Trump?

pearl

It's what happens when there is a knee jerk reaction. No one seems to be able or willing to wait 'till all is played out. 'what a web we weave.........

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Sorry, it does not work both ways. The left is not relying on Smollet any longer. They have dropped him like a hot potato. Your imagined events never happened and probably never will. The rise in hate crimes is a problem that cannot be solved with the ostrich defense.

Curious George

Veteran Member

I have already told you. As I solely represent the left it is my actions you must cite in order to say anything relevant of the left. We note here that I did not jump to any conclusions nor did I use this case to justify anything anti Trump. This the left did not jump to any such conclusions.

In case you are not clear, i do have other values other than hatred for Trump.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Oh, you liberals...
Oh, now you think I am a liberal?
I don't think I am. I think I am so conservative that I appear liberal to many "progressive" conservatives. Not that I will name names.

He was justifying NAACP misbehavior using Trump's misbehavior.
What misbehavior?
Using an event to further an agenda? Saying something hyperbolic, but essentially true? At least his hyperbole is grounded in truth, as opposed to Trump's birtherism.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your imagined events never happened and probably never will.
Wait.....the attack on Smollett was your imagined event.
And it's significance is to illustrate the left's pervasive simmering
hatred, bigotry, & dishonest attempts to demonize the other side.
Heterosexual white men are the perfect target for their fraudulent
attacks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This the left did not jump to any such conclusions.
Really?
We must've seen different coverage of the 'attack'.
In case you are not clear, i do have other values other than hatred for Trump.
I'm sure that you (as an individual not representing the entire group) do.
But actions speak louder than words for those who will oppose any
Trump act, eg, criminal justice reform just because he advocated it.
I'm just not see much rational thought from the left (nor from the right).
The left owns blind hatred at the moment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh, now you think I am a liberal?
You're in the tribe, some unacceptable beliefs notwithstanding.
What misbehavior?
Using an event to further an agenda? Saying something hyperbolic, but essentially true? At least his hyperbole is grounded in truth, as opposed to Trump's birtherism.
Tom
Perhaps I should've spoken more slowly.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Really?
We must've seen different coverage of the 'attack'.
I certainly was not in the news. What coverage did you see?
I'm sure that you (as an individual not representing the entire group) do.
But actions speak louder than words for those who will oppose any
Trump act, eg, criminal justice reform just because he advocated it.
Yes, but if you are going to assign the left to individual actions you might as well assign it to me.
I'm just not see much rational thought from the left....nor from the right.
But the left owns blind hatred.
I can see clearly all that I hate.