• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving. A day of Joy, a day of mourning.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
While Thanksgiving is a great day for the country it also should be noted that is also a great day of mourning for the indigenous peoples as it marked the beginning of great Sorrows for the Nations who had lived here prior to the arrival of the Europeans.

I think Thanksgiving should be both a day of joy , and a great day of sorrow for which all aspects of Thanksgiving need to be acknowledged both good and bad.

Is it even possible to do that?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
While Thanksgiving is a great day for the country it also should be noted that is also a great day of mourning for the indigenous peoples as it marked the beginning of great Sorrows for the Nations who had lived here prior to the arrival of the Europeans.

I think Thanksgiving should be both a day of joy , and a great day of sorrow for which all aspects of Thanksgiving need to be acknowledged both good and bad.

The only thing that Americans need to do differently from when I was a child, is that we should no longer call indigenous people barbarians. That is the sin we need to correct. We aren't celebrating the death of indigenous people. We're celebrating, because we're grateful to be here. We don't need to give up thanksgiving, and we don't need to mourn on the same day that we celebrate. We need a day like Thanksgiving. As for the History, yes go ahead and teach the real History. Nobody wants to be lied to about it, but we do mean and intend to spend time with family. This has become a good time for doing it. As for a day of mourning, sure. We could use one of those, too; but don't put it on the same day. Maybe put it the day before or two days before.

As for children wearing paper feathers I think its great. I don't think this belittles indigenous people anymore than children wearing bonnets or crowns belittles King Luis.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Oh my God I actually agree with one of your OPs.

A Thanksgiving miracle? ;):p

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It would be very helpful if all people recognized and honored diversity. As a Me'tis, I am a blending of European (mostly French & Swedish) and Amerindian (Pawnee, Canadian Cree, and unknown),

It is this diversity that has helped make America great, as different peoples brought in different ideas and different experiences. Diversity is not harmful, but prejudice and stereotyping certainly are.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Surprisingly reflective and throughtful. :thumbsup:
I live between several reservations and I've always had a soft spot for the indigenous nations and its people. And while New York State still bickers with them, the nation itself has been very good to John Q Citizen, and has a lot of support even though it isn't with the government.

Thanksgiving is actually a bittersweet holiday for me. It's a holiday of joy for getting away from an oppressive Britain, yet at the same time the beginning of a lot of tragedies and sour history that had followed.

I think it's a good thing to acknowledge both taken in context and perspective of what Thanksgiving actually brought to the table for all concerned.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Let me get this strait; you'll shrug at the injustice, suffering, and death brought upon an entire people, but will cry like a ***** if someone doesn't stand and sing to a flag, or sets it on fire?

Nope...I support the freedom in this country to treat your property anyway you like as long as it doesn't interfere with my rights. Now if you wish to waste your time moaning and groaning over injustices that you cannot possibly change in any matter go right ahead; you have that freedom.

shmogie

Yes, the Native Americans were treat shoddily, no doubt. Just as various tribes treated one another, and Indian nations in Central and South America treated one another.

They and many, many other peoples around the world were victims of the inherent human, evil trait , the strong devour the weak. What cannot be kept, is lost.

We should lament not just the evil done to the Native Americans, but every instance of one people decimating another. We should lament this part of our humanity.

sooda

Veteran Member

Trump claims there is a war on Thanksgiving.. and tweets..

5ddeb0ce2030275be17dc999.jpg

Trump tweets picture of his head on Rocky Balboa’s body ...

Trump tweets picture of his head on Rocky Balboa’s body, internet explodes in speculationtrump-tweets-rocky-photoshop-guessing/
37 minutes ago · An image of US President Donald Trump’s head neatly photoshopped onto the body of iconic film boxer Rocky Balboa, tweeted wordlessly from the president’s account, has set social media afire with questions.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Trump claims there is a war on Thanksgiving.. and tweets..

5ddeb0ce2030275be17dc999.jpg

Trump tweets picture of his head on Rocky Balboa’s body ...

Trump tweets picture of his head on Rocky Balboa’s body, internet explodes in speculationtrump-tweets-rocky-photoshop-guessing/
37 minutes ago · An image of US President Donald Trump’s head neatly photoshopped onto the body of iconic film boxer Rocky Balboa, tweeted wordlessly from the president’s account, has set social media afire with questions.

What's that sound? Oh, yeah...liberal heads exploding....hahaha..

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

That is why here in WA state, we have Thanksgiving, and then the day after is Indigenous People's Day, to showcase both the good, and what happened after the fact.