• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving. A day of Joy, a day of mourning.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
While Thanksgiving is a great day for the country it also should be noted that is also a great day of mourning for the indigenous peoples as it marked the beginning of great Sorrows for the Nations who had lived here prior to the arrival of the Europeans.

I think Thanksgiving should be both a day of joy , and a great day of sorrow for which all aspects of Thanksgiving need to be acknowledged both good and bad.

Is it even possible to do that?

Possible could be both, but I would prefer a holiday of mourning for the the destruction and loose of the Native American peoples and cultures.

Thanksgiving as a harvest festival is pretty much universal in many cultures at the fall harvest, and in ancient times was associated with the Harvest Moon, around the autumnal equinox. In the British Isles it is called by various names some call it Harvest Home. In China it is the Mid-Autumn Lunar Harvest Festival.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
While Thanksgiving is a great day for the country it also should be noted that is also a great day of mourning for the indigenous peoples as it marked the beginning of great Sorrows for the Nations
Not really...it wasn't as though in the middle of the first feast the pilgrims pulled out guns and started firing at the natives. It took several years until anything of the sort happened.
In conclusion, leave my turkey alone and go choose a different date for a day of rememberance.

Good-Ole-Rebel

AH-yes, the 'noble savage'. The one created by Hollywood. He looks good when he is cleaned up and has all sorts of Western virtues. It is he that tells the truth all the time. It is he that is friend of of all the animals and people.

I don't mind the white man coming to this land and taking it over. I don't mind the Indians fighting us over it. Wars always turn dirty. And between different races, they become cruel. There was plenty of cruelty done to the white people by the Indians. Inhuman cruelty. And there was cruelty done to the Indians by the white people.

The original pilgrims were not coming to create an empire. Nor were they immigrating. They came as pioneers. They were Christians escaping forms of persecution in Europe and willing to go to another land and make it there. They were giving thanks to the Christian God who brought them safely here and Who they would trust to keep them.

Like it or not, Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday. But of course any can thank whomever they like.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Like it or not, Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday. But of course any can thank whomever they like.
It's clearly an atheist holiday.
ready-for-turkey-dinner.jpg

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
AH-yes, the 'noble savage'. The one created by Hollywood. He looks good when he is cleaned up and has all sorts of Western virtues. It is he that tells the truth all the time. It is he that is friend of of all the animals and people.

I don't mind the white man coming to this land and taking it over. I don't mind the Indians fighting us over it. Wars always turn dirty. And between different races, they become cruel. There was plenty of cruelty done to the white people by the Indians. Inhuman cruelty. And there was cruelty done to the Indians by the white people.

The original pilgrims were not coming to create an empire. Nor were they immigrating. They came as pioneers. They were Christians escaping forms of persecution in Europe and willing to go to another land and make it there. They were giving thanks to the Christian God who brought them safely here and Who they would trust to keep them.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Actually no, Thanksgiving is NOT a Christian holiday. The harvest festival is celebrated by many cultures for thousands of years. Actually, Thanksgiving is a variation of the traditional British Harvest Home, which has pagan origins, and celebrated around the full moon in the fall near the autumnal equinox.. They just added the American Turkey instead of the goose and pig. The Native Americans also celebrated the harvest festival, which was what probably happened at the time of the pilgrims.

On second thought it would be good to celebrate the original harvest festival of the Native American version around the harvest full moon about the end of September near the autumnal equinox in celebration of Native American culture.

julianalexander745

At least Americans don't have to deal with Australian Aborigines and the whole "Invasion Day" stuff - along with the the rest of the population getting drunk and punching on with each other over who's more Australian and other assorted patriotic garbage.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Actually no, Thanksgiving is NOT a Christian holiday. The harvest festival is celebrated by many cultures for thousands of years. Actually, Thanksgiving is a variation of the traditional British Harvest Home, which has pagan origins, and celebrated around the full moon in the fall near the autumnal equinox.. They just added the American Turkey instead of the goose and pig. The Native Americans also celebrated the harvest festival, which was what probably happened at the time of the pilgrims.

On second thought it would be good to celebrate the original harvest festival of the Native American version around the harvest full moon about the end of September near the autumnal equinox in celebration of Native American culture.

Actually, yes, it is a Christian holiday. As the Thanksgiving in question is the one started by the Pilgrims who laid the foundation for America. And, the Pilgrims gave thanks to God. The God of the Bible. The God and Father of Jesus Christ.

As I said, other pagan religions can give thanks to whomever they like. But the origin of it in America is Christian. It doesn't matter who the Indians gave thanks to. They didn't establish the country that is now America.

Good-Ole-Rebel

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Actually, yes, it is a Christian holiday. As the Thanksgiving in question is the one started by the Pilgrims who laid the foundation for America. And, the Pilgrims gave thanks to God. The God of the Bible. The God and Father of Jesus Christ.

As I said, other pagan religions can give thanks to whomever they like. But the origin of it in America is Christian. It doesn't matter who the Indians gave thanks to. They didn't establish the country that is now America.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The origin in America is the Native American harvest festival celebrated in America long before the pilgrims showed up.

It was not started by pilgrims as previously documented. Yes Christians celebrate Thanks giving, but Thanksgiving is celebrated by the followers of many religions and cultures for thousands of years. The pilgrims celebrated a version of Thanksgiving at the time observed by Native Americans when the Native Americans offered them gifts of food on their harvest observance.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The origin in America is the Native American harvest festival celebrated in America long before the pilgrims showed up.

It was not started by pilgrims as previously documented. Yes Christians celebrate Thanks giving, but Thanksgiving is celebrated by the followers of many religions and cultures for thousands of years. The pilgrims celebrated a version of Thanksgiving at the time observed by Native Americans when the Native Americans offered them gifts of food on their harvest observance.

Kind of a stretch, but ...okay...

Cooky

Veteran Member
For me, Thanksgiving is just 'pre-Christmas'. We already had the tree up, and were drinking eggnog and Southern Comfort into the night, while having seconds and thirds, until passing out. :)

...It's good times. Period. Without attachments.