• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving. A day of Joy, a day of mourning.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What else is fun is playing party games on jackbox. Everyone can play by answering questions and drawing pictures on their cell phones, by typing in a password on a website. And the results are transferred to your television screen.

...Modern day trivia games, essentially. We did it using a nintendo switch.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Kind of a stretch, but ...okay...

As far as the harvest festivals it is pretty much well documented among many Native American cultures celebrated different times of crop maturity and final harvest focusing on corn. They often exchanged gifts of food as symbols of peace offerings at harvest time based on the full moon and the autumnal equinox. The actual Pilgrim story is a bit sketchy and second or third hand,

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
For me, Thanksgiving is just 'pre-Christmas'. We already had the tree up, and were drinking eggnog and Southern Comfort into the night, while having seconds and thirds, until passing out. :).

Save some mischief and debauchery for me.

If the strong drink is good, I might even sport a MAGA hat for a few minutes.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The origin in America is the Native American harvest festival celebrated in America long before the pilgrims showed up.

It was not started by pilgrims as previously documented. Yes Christians celebrate Thanks giving, but Thanksgiving is celebrated by the followers of many religions and cultures for thousands of years. The pilgrims celebrated a version of Thanksgiving at the time observed by Native Americans when the Native Americans offered them gifts of food on their harvest observance.

No, the Pilgrims couldn't have cared less who the natives were acknowledging. The Pilgrims were Christian and they acknowledged the God of the Bible, the God and Father of Jesus Christ.

And, as I said, it was from them that this country is founded. This country isn't founded on the pagan celebration, whatever it was. It is founded on Jesus Christ.

Why is it that the pagans always want to say Christianity came from them. What a lie?

Good-Ole-Rebel

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No, the Pilgrims couldn't have cared less who the natives were acknowledging. The Pilgrims were Christian and they acknowledged the God of the Bible, the God and Father of Jesus Christ.
You might actually consider researching this in terms of how the Pilgrims and Puritans eventually dealt with the Amerindians in their area.

shmogie

The origin in America is the Native American harvest festival celebrated in America long before the pilgrims showed up.

It was not started by pilgrims as previously documented. Yes Christians celebrate Thanks giving, but Thanksgiving is celebrated by the followers of many religions and cultures for thousands of years. The pilgrims celebrated a version of Thanksgiving at the time observed by Native Americans when the Native Americans offered them gifts of food on their harvest observance.
No, harvest festivals were common in Europe as well. The Pilgrims were Europeans, not NA's. To them, they were celebrating a European harvest thanksgiving meal.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No, harvest festivals were common in Europe as well. The Pilgrims were Europeans, not NA's. To them, they were celebrating a European harvest thanksgiving meal.

I acknowledged in previous posts that harvest festivals are in most cultures for thousands of years, and not specifically a Christian festival. In fact the observances in Europe have pagan origins. IT remains a fact that Native Americans likewise celebrated harvest festivals for long before the Pilgrims arrived.

The first Pilgrim Thanksgiving in 1621 was attended by both Pilgrims and Native Americans.

The declaration of Thanksgiving by George Washington and later Abraham Lincoln was not for a specifically Christian holiday, but a National holiday of Thanksgiving.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

The celebration of Thanksgiving in 1621 was attended by 43 Pilgrims and 62 Native Americans.

And, as I said, it was from them that this country is founded. This country isn't founded on the pagan celebration, whatever it was. It is founded on Jesus Christ.

The harvest festival we call Thanksgiving as declared by George Washington and Abraham Lincoln was declared as a National secular holiday and not Christian holiday.

Why is it that the pagans always want to say Christianity came from them. What a lie?

Pagans do not necessarily say Christianity came from? them, and that is not the issue here.

shmogie

I acknowledged in previous posts that harvest festivals are in most cultures for thousands of years, and not specifically a Christian festival. In fact the observances in Europe have pagan origins. IT remains a fact that Native Americans likewise celebrated harvest festivals for long before the Pilgrims arrived.

The first Pilgrim Thanksgiving in 1621 was attended by both Pilgrims and Native Americans.

The declaration of Thanksgiving by George Washington and later Abraham Lincoln was not for a specifically Christian holiday, but a National holiday of Thanksgiving.
I said nothing about Thanksgiving being a Christian holiday, I said harvest festivals were European. Harvest festivals were a form of thanks giving.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The celebration of Thanksgiving in 1621 was attended by 43 Pilgrims and 62 Native Americans.

The harvest festival we call Thanksgiving as declared by George Washington and Abraham Lincoln was declared as a National secular holiday and not Christian holiday.

Pagans do not necessarily say Christianity came from? them, and that is not the issue here.

It doesn't matter how many Indians attended and who they were giving thanks to. The Pilgrims were giving thanks to the God of the Bible and the Father of Jesus Christ. It is from the Pilgrims that our nation would come and that we base this holiday.

It doesn't matter what Washington or Lincoln declared the holiday to be. That is some 200 and 300 years later. It is based upon the Pilgrim Thanksgiving. This makes Thanksgiving a Christian holiday.

I don't care who anyone wants to direct their thanksgiving to. But Thanksgiving is Christian in it's origin.

It seems every Christian holiday the pagans will attach a pagan origin to it. As though Christianity is the product of copying pagan relilgions. I hear it all the time.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

You might actually consider researching this in terms of how the Pilgrims and Puritans eventually dealt with the Amerindians in their area.

I have done a fair amount of research on it. What in particular are you addressing?

Good-Ole-Rebel

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It doesn't matter how many Indians attended and who they were giving thanks to. The Pilgrims were giving thanks to the God of the Bible and the Father of Jesus Christ. It is from the Pilgrims that our nation would come and that we base this holiday.

It doesn't matter what Washington or Lincoln declared the holiday to be. That is some 200 and 300 years later. It is based upon the Pilgrim Thanksgiving. This makes Thanksgiving a Christian holiday.

I don't care who anyone wants to direct their thanksgiving to. But Thanksgiving is Christian in it's origin.

It seems every Christian holiday the pagans will attach a pagan origin to it. As though Christianity is the product of copying pagan relilgions. I hear it all the time.

Good-Ole-Rebel

It is true Christians celebrate Thanksgiving, but that does not make it a Christian holiday. Your personal belief concerning Thanksgiving does not make it so.

Good-Ole-Rebel

It is true Christians celebrate Thanksgiving, but that does not make it a Christian holiday. Your personal belief concerning Thanksgiving does not make it so.

Thanksgivings origin began with the Pilgrims. The Pilgrims gave thanks to the God of the Bible. The God and Father of Jesus Christ. That is not my personal belief. That is the way it was. From these people would eventually come the nation of America.

Your pagan belief does not change it.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

You said you did research on the topic of the thread. What were your references concerning the research?

My comment was in reference to metis statement that I should do some research concerning this in light of how the pilgrims dealt with the Indians later. See #(46). To that I said I had done a fair amount of research on it and asked exactly what specifically did you have in mind that concerns how the Pilgrims dealt with the Indians.

I was given a link to read, which I don't like doing. If you want to use a link to support your comments, fine. But when you say nothing and give me a link and say 'just read this', I don't.

So, are you concerned with his statement and my response? Or are you concerned with just my references in general? Do you disagree that the Pilgrims and Indians at Plymouth was the first Thanksgiving in America? Do you disagree that the Pilgrims were Christian? Do you disagree that from these Pilgrims would come the American nation?

You're asking for a Bibliography before we get involved in answering these questions. I would rather give references and quotes in the course of the discussion. And this I usually do.

Good-Ole-Rebel