• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me why my personal belief is wrong

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There is something else wrong with your beliefs. You believe stuff that you don't understand.

So what is your evidence for that bold one? It doesn't follow for non understand that it is wrong.
As a deduction:
P1: You believe stuff that you don't understand.
C: Therefore there is something else wrong with your beliefs.

You haven't made a justified argument and your post is not logical. You need at least one more true premise to make a valid conclusion.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
beliefs aren't true or necessarily false. they're suppositions. it's like imagination. not realistic until otherwise proven to be so.

anyone who relies on them heavily isn't being realistic.
Some "suppositions" are better supported than others. Some have overwhelming, consilient, empirical support, and are considered facts. These, as a rule, can be relied on. Others are based more on tradition, folklore or prophecy -- not so reliable.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Some "suppositions" are better supported than others. Some have overwhelming, consilient, empirical support, and are considered facts. Others are based more on tradition, folklore or prophecy.

Well, yes. But they are all still suppostions. Even science as a system of naturalism.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Some "suppositions" are better supported than others. Some have overwhelming, consilient, empirical support, and are considered facts. Others are based more on tradition, folklore or prophecy.
doesn't matter, they still aren't facts and should be questionable.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Can you rephrase that?

suppositions based on facts; doesn't make it a fact. its still just a possibility. ain't going to rule it out but I'm not going to pretend like it's real either.

we don't judge something based on association. we judge it on it's own merit.

meritocracy

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
suppositions based on facts; doesn't make it a fact. its still just a possibility. ain't going to rule it out but I'm not going to pretend like it's real either.

we don't judge something based on association. we judge it on it's own merit.

meritocracy

Well, to me there is not system of facts that doesn't rest on some suppositions.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
doesn't matter, they still aren't facts and should be questionable.
How are you defining "fact?"
You seem to be defining it so rigidly that none could exist.

...And why wouldn't facts be questionable, as you seem to imply? Science questions facts all the time.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
How are you defining "fact?"
You seem to be defining it so rigidly that none could exist.

...And why wouldn't facts be questionable, as you seem to imply? Science questions facts all the time.
there are no absolutes in science. there are extremes with both sides of a supposition

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
there are no absolutes in science. there are extremes with both sides of a supposition
Quite so. There are observations, conjectures, theorems, theories, &c. It's the theories and observations that are generally called 'facts'.

A fact is not necessarily an ontological truth. A fact is an idea so well evidenced that dismissing it would be unreasonable.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Please, in your own words.

Why is my personal religious belief wrong?
Who, other than you, can really know what your personal belief is? I certainly don't.

My view is this: if I find myself clinging to some belief or other, I ask myself two questions: why do I believe it, and does the belief accord with the real world, as I experience it. In the case of religious belief, the answers to those two questions were, "Because I was told to," and "No." And so religious belief plays no part in my life.

There, I think you should try to answer your own question.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser

If you believe this ambiguous question could not be interpreted in multiple ways, that belief is wrong:

¹"Why is my personal religious belief wrong?" I ask because I wish to argue against your point, because I am so certain of my beliefs.

²"Why is my personal religious belief wrong?" I ask from a concern that I wish for verification of doubts I have within my beliefs.

;)

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser

Regarding the Baha'i faith... What extremely little I know of it, I would say it's goals or aims are too high. An error (in my opinion) in many faiths.

Edit to clarify: Example of possibly unattainable goal I see in Baha'i practices; The goal to bring everyone together and to unify every individual, while a beautiful idea, seems incredibly optimistic.

Another example could be within Christianity. To be Christ-like, is to give up all worldly belongings and rely on the good nature of others while preaching the word of God. Difficult to say the least, and I'm not sure how sustainable, in our modern economy and society.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you believe this ambiguous question could not be interpreted in multiple ways, that belief is wrong:

¹"Why is my personal religious belief wrong?" I ask because I wish to argue against your point, because I am so certain of my beliefs.

²"Why is my personal religious belief wrong?" I ask from a concern that I wish for verification of doubts I have within my beliefs.

;)
I just letting critiques give their answer, openly and free.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Religion are a belief and faith not physical science

This is where it depends on what you mean by "wrong." If it cannot be demonstrated scientifically, then it would be scientifically wrong.

If there are ethical concerns, then it might be ethically wrong depending on your moral system.

Likely, if you are finding meaning and purpose, then it is not a wrong practice for you, just, as others have stated, don't try to impose this belief on others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is where it depends on what you mean by "wrong." If it cannot be demonstrated scientifically, then it would be scientifically wrong.

If there are ethical concerns, then it might be ethically wrong depending on your moral system.

Likely, if you are finding meaning and purpose, then it is not a wrong practice for you, just, as others have stated, don't try to impose this belief on others.
I don't have to impose my belief on others :)