• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me why my personal belief is wrong

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The "evidence" in religious advancement comes from within, by the practitionair get closer to being perfect in words, actions and thoughts. So no the evidence you as a science person looking for are different than a religious person look for evidence of truth
OK, so the religious evidence is all in your head, all personal and emotional, rather than fact based. There is no way to verify it.

So why do the religious keep trespassing into fact-based reality, making assertions of fact with no supporting evidence, even with strong evidence to the contrary?

We "science people" don't do this. Science doesn't make claims about values, meaning, purpose or morality. We may have personal views on these, but we don't attribute them to science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
OK, so the religious evidence is all in your head, all personal and emotional, rather than fact based. There is no way to verify it.

So why do the religious keep trespassing into fact-based reality, making assertions of fact with no supporting evidence, even with strong evidence to the contrary?

We "science people" don't do this. Science doesn't make claims about values, meaning, purpose or morality. We may have personal views on these, but we don't attribute them to science.

No, there are other "science people", who do that.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please, in your own words. Why is my personal religious belief wrong?

I think you'll need another theist to argue theology with you, and it seems like there aren't many that care to do that. I don't know what your religious beliefs are apart from a belief in God and that you call yourself Baha'i. Just what that entails is largely unknown to me apart from the doctrine on homosexuality discussed at length in a recent thread.

As I have told you before and others have affirmed as well here, this idea that people attack your beliefs is all in your head. What is questioned if anything is how you come to those beliefs and why you believe them, not the specific doctrine. Only other theists care about theology.

As has also been suggested here, you start thread after thread bemoaning these nonexistent assaults on your beliefs. In this one, you literally invite criticism of those beliefs, but there's been little, and the criticism wasn't on religious beliefs, but rather, your distrust of science. Then you say that you believe God created the world, but don't much more about it than that, and were challenged for saying that you believe something with no evidence. That's what was questioned - holding an insufficiently supported belief, not the belief itself - and I don't think too many care whether you do that or not. Their criticisms should be understood as reasons why THEY don't hold such beliefs.

RestlessSoul

The question wasn't who made the universe but who or what "made" the earth.

In order make the earth, wouldn't it first be necessary to create the universe? Once the energy is in motion and the laws are in place, the rest - including the earth and it's inhabitants - must follow naturally.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think you'll need another theist to argue theology with you, and it seems like there aren't many that care to do that. I don't know what your religious beliefs are apart from a belief in God and that you call yourself Baha'i. Just what that entails is largely unknown to me apart from the doctrine on homosexuality discussed at length in a recent thread.

As I have told you before and others have affirmed as well here, this idea that people attack your beliefs is all in your head. What is questioned if anything is how you come to those beliefs and why you believe them, not the specific doctrine. Only other theists care about theology.

As has also been suggested here, you start thread after thread bemoaning these nonexistent assaults on your beliefs. In this one, you literally invite criticism of those beliefs, but there's been little, and the criticism wasn't on religious beliefs, but rather, your distrust of science. Then you say that you believe God created the world, but don't much more about it than that, and were challenged for saying that you believe something with no evidence. That's what was questioned - holding an insufficiently supported belief, not the belief itself - and I don't think too many care whether you do that or not. Their criticisms should be understood as reasons why THEY don't hold such beliefs.
I was hoping that people would understand that this OP was and still is, an attempt to let people openly reply to why they find my belief to be wrong.

I don't have a need to protect my belief anymore, because i know and unde4stand my previous way of "protecting by use of anger" was a false and wrong way.

People are free to say and think what they do.
In the OP i was just curious to why some think a personal belief as example in Baha'i is wrong (to them that would be)

So critique are ok. But know that i will see it as your or their understanding of what others belief.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
In order make the earth, wouldn't it first be necessary to create the universe? Once the energy is in motion and the laws are in place, the rest - including the earth and it's inhabitants - must follow naturally.

Well, as honest as I can be. We don't know that about the universe and that includes science and not just religion.

Science in its current version as used by some people assumes that the universe is playing nice and can be explained in positive and coherent terms. That is not a given.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I was hoping that people would understand that this OP was and still is, an attempt to let people openly reply to why they find my belief to be wrong.

I don't have a need to protect my belief anymore, because i know and unde4stand my previous way of "protecting by use of anger" was a false and wrong way.

People are free to say and think what they do.
In the OP i was just curious to why some think a personal belief as example in Baha'i is wrong (to them that would be)

So critique are ok. But know that i will see it as your or their understanding of what others belief.

Okay. Let me try.
Here are one example of them: The objective world is real.
The problem is the same as with God. Both words for "God" and "real" are in minds, but they believe they know what the world is and that they are in effect "better" and they show that by explaining that you have no evidence for your beliefs.
What they don't understand is that neither have they.

Now again morality is another thread, but as far as I can tell, you are being attack by believers in the real world. Just I haven't seen evidence as per their rules of evidence for "God", I have never seen it for "the real world".

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The explenations are in the scriptures. But no i can not know Gods thoughts.

You guys seem to look away when the word belief or believe are used.
I have no problem with belief, per se. It's what a belief is based on that's in question.
Baha'i. for example, teaches that there should be a unity of science and religion, and that if there's disagreement, defer to science.

"Until now it has been said that all religions were composed of tenets that had to be accepted, even if they seem contrary to science. Thanks be to God, that in this new cycle the admonition of Baha’u’llah is that in the search for truth man must weigh religious questions in the balance of science and reason. God has given us rational minds for this purpose, to penetrate all things, to find truth. If one renounce reason, what remains? The sacred texts? How can we understand God’s commands and to what use can we put them without the balance of reason?"
Abdu’l-Baha, Divine Philosophy.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
They change too frequently?
Nothing wrong with that except that seems to show that you have not yet hit upon a stable set of beliefs that work for you.
Oh I have Baha'i faith and it has become more and more solid, but still have much to understand

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are of course welcome to hold your belief on that, i do not wish to take away anyones belief. Personally i do believe in the Baha'i teaching being right for me.
Me, I like Baha'is and Baha'i values. I used to attend Baha'i firesides every Friday. But, as Baha'u'llah says, belief should be based on reason, and not all Baha'i doctrines are reasonable or fact-based. Therein lies any disagreement.

Brian2

Veteran Member
You are of course welcome to hold your belief on that, i do not wish to take away anyones belief. Personally i do believe in the Baha'i teaching being right for me.

For me it is not about whether a teaching is right for me, it is whether the teaching is right, whether it tells the truth.
If Baha'u'llah says he is the return of Christ and the teachings from Jesus and others in the Bible show that he is not the return of Christ then he is lying about who he is or has been deceived, either way, he is a false Christ.
Example, as a Baha'i you will find that you have to deny pretty much everything that is said below.

Acts 1:9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Me, I like Baha'is and Baha'i values. I used to attend Baha'i firesides every Friday. But, as Baha'u'llah says, belief should be based on reason, and not all Baha'i doctrines are reasonable or fact-based. Therein lies any disagreement.

So please do morality based on reason or facts. Nobody in recorded history has so far been able to do that as far as I can tell. Neither science, philosophy nor religion.