• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remove ’Everybody Draw Muhammad Day’ from Facebook

murtaxa

The Forum ’Everybody Draw Muhammad Day’ on facebook is against moral values and mutual respect for all cultures. This forum contains graffiti including sexual images, defamatory slogans and images containing extreme gore depicting the Prophet of Islam. Despite over 20000 reports against this group as hate speech/racism, facebook has not removed this group during the past month.

Link to group: facebook.com/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammed-Day/121369914543425?ref=ts

it is also a breach of 3 different laws within the United States that restrict freedom of Speech w.r.t. rights of individuals regarding ethnicity, race and religion. Facebook qualifies for a lawsuit if it does not remove this group before the 20th of may 2010, by US law.

Details of the legal practicalities can be seen here:
Link: zohaibhisam.com/?p=185

People from all religions and races should refrain from exercising free speech in defamatory hate statements, hate crimes and incitement to violence. Mutual respect for each others beliefs and sanctity of all religions should be kept intact on all social forums to ensure we bridge gaps between all men, instead of aggravating relations more. Genuine efforts towards removing such communities, be they against any religion, is our duty as responsible individuals. Ideas for better, responsible regulation of content over facebook and other social networks would be greatly appreciated.

no-body

As long as they aren't telling people to commit criminal acts against others it doesn't matter what they host/print. This is one place where I think Canada and a lot of other countries drop the ball and the U.S. is superior... these nut balls need an outlet, free speech means free speech not just what you agree with. Facebook should be allowed to host whatever they like if it's within the law and I can't see how writings, drawings, art, etc can ever be against the law no matter how inflammatory.

Now if Muslims and their supporters want to start some sort of ban on facebook and their sponsors until they cave, that is reasonable. Flailing about with threats of lawsuits and criminal sanctions is as ridiculous as death threats.

nomadchild

Gone Sailing
The Forum ’Everybody Draw Muhammad Day’ on facebook is against moral values and mutual respect for all cultures. This forum contains graffiti including sexual images, defamatory slogans and images containing extreme gore depicting the Prophet of Islam. Despite over 20000 reports against this group as hate speech/racism, facebook has not removed this group during the past month.

Link to group: facebook.com/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammed-Day/121369914543425?ref=ts

it is also a breach of 3 different laws within the United States that restrict freedom of Speech w.r.t. rights of individuals regarding ethnicity, race and religion. Facebook qualifies for a lawsuit if it does not remove this group before the 20th of may 2010, by US law.

Details of the legal practicalities can be seen here:
Link: zohaibhisam.com/?p=185

People from all religions and races should refrain from exercising free speech in defamatory hate statements, hate crimes and incitement to violence. Mutual respect for each others beliefs and sanctity of all religions should be kept intact on all social forums to ensure we bridge gaps between all men, instead of aggravating relations more. Genuine efforts towards removing such communities, be they against any religion, is our duty as responsible individuals. Ideas for better, responsible regulation of content over facebook and other social networks would be greatly appreciated.
I disagree with you, they are not at all violating the constitution as a matter of a fact, what they are doing is protected by the first amendment under freedom of speech. Not only this but also they are not keeping the Muslims from practicing their religion, so it is still not violating the first amendment; freedom of religion. :shrug:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Despite over 20000 reports against this group as hate speech/racism, facebook has not removed this group during the past month.

That's because this is America, and we allow hate speech/racism. If this was Canada, you might have a case.

This is simply not true. We have freedom of speech and expression. It would be a breach of the Constitution to ban this kind of thing.

People from all religions and races should refrain from exercising free speech in defamatory hate statements, hate crimes and incitement to violence.

And you're welcome to that opinion. However, while it may be that people should do that, it's not against the law to exercise free speech and expression, and it shouldn't be.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The Facebook page is simply a reaction by free speech advocates to those in the Muslim community who would use violence as a response to what they perceive as insults to their prophet.
The intimidations and murders committed by radical Muslims on political artists and commercial cartoonists is where the true problem lays.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The most intelligent and the most effective response that any Muslim can have to this is just to ignore it completely. You may not want to hear this, but the fact is that if there is a big response to this, it will become an annual event. If there is no response it will fizzle.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Mohammad, Allah and Islam have become implicitly political as such it is only right they be ridiculed like any other politician. Because they also have a religious aspect they should be doubly ridiculed just like any other religion. Darwin was ridiculed by his religious peers (and wife) but was eventually proved right. Scientology is ridiculed regularly as well as the Catholic Church. Time will tell who was right.

The cartoon as a single frame distilled depiction can say more than a thousand words. If it offends one must ask on what basis. As I saw on the website there was nothing particularly offensive, when compared to the trillions of equivalent political comical or sarcastic art that has been around since neanderthal man.

Muslims would do well to get a sense of humor rather than run around *****in like school children all the time.

Cheers

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Genuine efforts towards removing such communities, be they against any religion, is our duty as responsible individuals. Ideas for better, responsible regulation of content over facebook and other social networks would be greatly appreciated.

We already have a fantastic system for regulation of speech. Example: I hate simplistic partisan political humor. So I don't turn my TV to channels broadcasting
The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, etc. To simply not watch distasteful material works. It also doesn't interfere with anyone else's need for drivel. Moreover,
it avoids more government control. This last reason is an important one.....if you give the fed power to control religious speech, what makes you think that
they'll control it in the way you want? Government regulation is a blunt instrument, & subject to the vagaries & whims of a fickle public. On one day, you might
see the kind of censorship which lets you speak your mind without having your sensibilities offended, but on the next you might find that to express some of
Islam's tenets could be prohibited because it offends others.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
But why should we respect beliefs that we think are silly. Isn't that a tiny bit absurd? I am not inclined to agree with any kind of censorship unless the offending work/group/person/whatever directly calls for violence against any particular group/person. Sometimes it is better to just ignore things instead of demanding that the Nanny state protect you from people who don't care what you think.

DeitySlayer

President of Chindia
:facepalm: If you find it offensive, then don't view the material. It's not as if it's calling for the destruction of Islam or even proposing that the images are accurate representations of Islamic culture and the Prophet Muhammad. So just leave it alone. It's not hurting you.

Whatever happened to 'sticks and stones'?

301ouncer

:facepalm: If you find it offensive, then don't view the material. It's not as if it's calling for the destruction of Islam or even proposing that the images are accurate representations of Islamic culture and the Prophet Muhammad. So just leave it alone. It's not hurting you.

Whatever happened to 'sticks and stones'?

I guarantee it that it will never be removed. Not that I care either way.

But....

When the truth is told we get removed asap. One rule for them and one rule for us.

Where did my does secularisim lead to total darkness go? It was a valid question about a system that is implemanted worldwide and mankind is living every minute of it. :facepalm:

dogsgod

Facebook is doing what needs to be done and what the newspapers failed to do after death threats were made following the printing of a cartoon. The point is that those making the threats will have to threaten everyone and that way they wouldn't know where to begin, as it should be.

DeitySlayer

President of Chindia
I guarantee it that it will never be removed. Not that I care either way.

But....

When the truth is told we get removed asap. One rule for them and one rule for us.

Where did my does secularisim lead to total darkness go? It was a valid question about a system that is implemanted worldwide and mankind is living every minute of it. :facepalm:

There's a difference, 301 ouncer. Your thread was implying that it was making an accurate and truthful judgement or statement on the nature of secularism, and that secularism should be destroyed; a statement that you repeatedly failed to contextualize or validify, and was therefore fallacious.

The 'Draw Muhammad' pictures, although I do not contend they are offensive, never claim to be accurate representations of Islam or Muhammad. Therein lies the difference.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Now, now tumbleweed let's not give them facts. Let's all keep pretending Islam is the religion of peace, and that radicals don't kill about 10 people on average a day around the world.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
There would be no "draw Mohammd day" if Muslims didn't try to push their beliefs and rules on everyone else. Take a hint maybe.