• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remove ’Everybody Draw Muhammad Day’ from Facebook

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Most if not All Muslims.
So what if alot of people broke a sacred law of Islam? Shouldn't that be between us and Allah? I get called a devil worshiper all the time, and even though I do not worship anything, being called so doesn't phase me. Actually the last person who called me a devil worshiper I just told him "welcome to the list."
The Washington Post even recently had an editorial stating that discrimination against the transgender community is necessary. It stated we are trying to deceive people, we are unnatural, and for the better of society we need to be denied jobs, housing, be treated like ****, and shunned at every corner. This was a very offensive article, but the uproar from the transcomunity was some heated emails, blogs, and lots of shaking heads and rolling eyes. We've all gotten over it, without demanding Washington Post be shut down.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So what if alot of people broke a sacred law of Islam? Shouldn't that be between us and Allah? I get called a devil worshiper all the time, and even though I do not worship anything, being called so doesn't phase me. Actually the last person who called me a devil worshiper I just told him "welcome to the list."
The Washington Post even recently had an editorial stating that discrimination against the transgender community is necessary. It stated we are trying to deceive people, we are unnatural, and for the better of society we need to be denied jobs, housing, be treated like ****, and shunned at every corner. This was a very offensive article, but the uproar from the transcomunity was some heated emails, blogs, and lots of shaking heads and rolling eyes. We've all gotten over it, without demanding Washington Post be shut down.

It is not a sacred law, it's a simple thing Muslims do out of respect to the prophet. Also, i'm not saying we should remove the group or leave facebook. I'm just saying that this group is a hateful or a wrongful reaction to what the radicals have done.

As for the examples you gave about what some people say about you and your belief, well that's horrible. Since i already clarified that i'm not talking about shutting down anything or denying any body of their free speech, let me ask you, do you think that article was good? (As in was it a right thing to do). There is nothing wrong with criticism, but insults and hateful speech like that article you are talking about, is not something i should accept. I won't try to threat the guy who wrote it, and i won't ask that it be removed from whatever place it was published in, but i'll say that it is wrong and hateful.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There is nothing wrong with criticism, but insults and hateful speech like that article you are talking about, is not something i should accept. I won't try to threat the guy who wrote it, and i won't ask that it be removed from whatever place it was published in, but i'll say that it is wrong and hateful.
You don't have to accept it. The only way that anything can be offensive to you is if you let it be. If you let some group of Facebook offend you, then it is because you let it. You don't have to look it at, or even acknowledge it. The group was aimed at the Muslims who are going to look knowing it''s something they are not going to like, and to get a rise out of them. If you dwell upon it enough to get offended, then that is your own fault. Free speech means seeing and hearing opinions and sights that you are going to disagree with, and down right are not going to like.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You don't have to accept it. The only way that anything can be offensive to you is if you let it be. If you let some group of Facebook offend you, then it is because you let it. You don't have to look it at, or even acknowledge it. The group was aimed at the Muslims who are going to look knowing it''s something they are not going to like, and to get a rise out of them. If you dwell upon it enough to get offended, then that is your own fault. Free speech means seeing and hearing opinions and sights that you are going to disagree with, and down right are not going to like.

I understand what you are saying, and agree. I will not look at it, and i will not let it offend me. My only point is, wether or not this group thing is right or wrong. That's it. You see, it is done to show that radicals can't oppress the free speech of Americans. The goal that this group was made for, is fine with me. I just think they made a big mistake by generalizing this towards the entire Muslim community. What i think should have been done, is that nobody should have complied to the pressure by radicals in the first place. So that they wouldn't be in this position now, and have to show that nobody can stop them.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I understand what you are saying, and agree. I will not look at it, and i will not let it offend me. My only point is, wether or not this group thing is right or wrong. That's it. You see, it is done to show that radicals can't oppress the free speech of Americans. The goal that this group was made for, is fine with me. I just think they made a big mistake by generalizing this towards the entire Muslim community. What i think should have been done, is that nobody should have complied to the pressure by radicals in the first place. So that they wouldn't be in this position now, and have to show that nobody can stop them.

Its not up to the rest of the world to control radical muslims. What i don't understand is why muslims complain about being generalised in with radicals yet do absolutely nothing to try and rectify the situation.
Those who let radicals be radicals are just as bad. Some on this forum fit into that category.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its not up to the rest of the world to control radical muslims. What i don't understand is why muslims complain about being generalised in with radicals yet do absolutely nothing to try and rectify the situation.
Those who let radicals be radicals are just as bad. Some on this forum fit into that category.

Well, it's not exactly that easy. I mean if it was, i'm sure the United States would have found a way to deal with them and stop them. They are people who believe in violence and they are spread all over the world.

And like i said earlier, in every religion and community there are bad examples, that doesn't mean one should generalize against the whole religion or community.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Well, it's not exactly that easy. I mean if it was, i'm sure the United States would have found a way to deal with them and stop them. They are people who believe in violence and they are spread all over the world.

And like i said earlier, in every religion and community there are bad examples, that doesn't mean one should generalize against the whole religion or community.

No but it seems all to convenient for all religions (not just Islam) to wash their hands of extremists rather than dealing with them internally.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No but it seems all to convenient for all religions (not just Islam) to wash their hands of extremists rather than dealing with them internally.

If we deal with those radicals inside our countries (which i think some countries are) still wouldn't solve the problem all that easily. Because lots of them don't live in our countries, like the ones that caused the problem of the issue here.

There are a few countries to be honest in which the extremists have their way, may be intentionally or because they can't fight them. However, in this battle or confrontation with radicals, we shouldn't blame all people who adhere the same religion these radicals do. For example, the US is at war in Iraq, does that mean that if an Iraqi cursed or insulted an American civilian would be a right thing to do, especially when some Americans condone the war in Iraq.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
If we deal with those radicals inside our countries (which i think some countries are) still wouldn't solve the problem all that easily. Because lots of them don't live in our countries, like the ones that caused the problem of the issue here.

There are a few countries to be honest in which the extremists have their way, may be intentionally or because they can't fight them. However, in this battle or confrontation with radicals, we shouldn't blame all people who adhere the same religion these radicals do. For example, the US is at war in Iraq, does that mean that if an Iraqi cursed or insulted an American civilian would be a right thing to do, especially when some Americans condone the war in Iraq.

As a muslim what do you think inspires someone to become an extremist?

As a westerner its hard to grasp why someone would actively seek to slaughter innocent people to prove a point, whatever that point may be.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As a muslim what do you think inspires someone to become an extremist?

As a westerner its hard to grasp why someone would actively seek to slaughter innocent people to prove a point, whatever that point may be.

Well, you are right there is no excuse for such actions. But of course there are reasons.

I think when people are in distress, the worst comes out. So if someone is generally stupid and/or weak, what happens when he is in distress and dangerous or oppressive situations, is that he kind of explode.

So, in the case here, some guys are living in America. Their countries back home are at war and their brothers and sisters are dying, they are angry and they are waiting for an excuse to unleash their anger. This episode thing comes up and they completely over react. While other Muslims also living in America, have not reacted at all to the incident except by may be frowning about it or feel bad about it.

Also don't forget that some people are evil, and that they'll take whatever excuse that helps them accomplish their goal, including religion. They manage to convince people that this the right thing to do. Like the case with the radical groups, they brainwash some young angry and frustrated and foolish guys into believing that this the best way to fight this.