• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion on Wal-Mart to pull of of Washington D.C.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Even so, this proves to further a worthless society if everyone is inspired to work minimum wage.
Do you really think people are inspired to work minimum and low wage jobs? About every adult that I know who does works them because they can get nothing else. It's not about skills or experience, it is about job availability and the fact some income is better than none.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Do you really think people are inspired to work minimum and low wage jobs? About every adult that I know who does works them because they can get nothing else. It's not about skills or experience, it is about job availability and the fact some income is better than none.
And another thing to think about is that if the minimum wage is increased, more people who don't want to work for whatever reason may be inspired. After all, who wants to live at home forever? I'm sure most people think working minimum wage and trying to pay for expenses will require tons of hours to barely make it. With an increase in the minimum wage, these people will understand that you can make it on a basic 9-5 instead of a 6-6

Alceste

Vagabond
I asked for evidence. You don't have any. Neither of your links support your assertion that the majority of workers that are on minimum wage are teenagers and college students. You're welcome to try again, or just admit you're wrong.

They don't support the claim that "every time the minimum wage goes up, there's more unemployment" either. The second actually contradicted it. This province just raised the minimum wage by over a buck, and employment has been steady.

esmith

Veteran Member
From the majority of the opinions on the subject, it appears that it is okay for some businesses and union shops to pay the minimum wage if they so desire. That is one part of the proposed legislation if you happened to read it. However, it appears that the City Council is using selective legislation to single out one corporation. Are the majority of the previous posters willing to allow government to selectively punish a businesses? Sure seems that way to me.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
What else would pay people in order for them to survive? This is not to say corporations or money are better than people, because if you ask me, when you put a company and a thousand dollar paycheck on one end of a scale and a person on the other, the person outweighs them by far. In fact, corporations are evil, businesses are evil, I don't support companies buying smaller companies, it just makes a messy market.

But one thing I do think is that labor is a necessary thing, you can pretty much call anything slave labor as long as you don't like it.

I don't see why people would be happy if they have a job that literally doesn't pay anything, though. Mind going in deeper on that?

I was being sarcastic. :p

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Instead of trying to force a business into becoming a charity, Why not simply shop or work elsewhere if they find their practices displeasing?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Instead of trying to force a business into becoming a charity, Why not simply shop or work elsewhere if they find their practices displeasing?

Actually, Walmart relies on the charity of the US taxpayer. And nobody forced them into it. Not only do they take millions in tax breaks and other subsidies from the taxpayers, they also sign their employees up for food stamps in order not to need pay them more than they do.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Actually, Walmart relies on the charity of the US taxpayer. And nobody forced them into it. Not only do they take millions in tax breaks and other subsidies from the taxpayers, they also sign their employees up for food stamps in order not to need pay them more than they do.

Right..A "charity" that "only" profits 13 billion a year (after taxes and paying their employees a living wage).instead of 15 billion..

Poor things they give so much.

The only other charitable organization that PROFITS that much is.....not going to say it.

esmith

Veteran Member
I wish a lot of walmarts would go out of business. So I support the idea of them not being in DC
So from you post I will have to assume you believe in the following:
Keeping people enslaved by not allowing them a chance to better themselves.
I continue to here from public figures saying that their community is lacking in businesses within their community that allows the members of their community to have a source of goods and materials without commuting great distances to do so. Having a local business that can provide work experience so that they can gain experience. Maybe giving a person some self-esteem by giving them a chance to work for something rather that having to live on the charity of others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Consider that every person who works at Walmart does so because it was a better choice than all others available, eg, lower paying jobs, unemployment. So if we compare the taxpayer burden of these alternatives (ie, work for Walmart vs not work there), our (taxpayers) cost is lower if they become Sam Walton's minions.
Regarding tax breaks, can you explain how Walmart gets such subsidies?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
So from you post I will have to assume you believe in the following:
Keeping people enslaved by not allowing them a chance to better themselves.
I continue to here from public figures saying that their community is lacking in businesses within their community that allows the members of their community to have a source of goods and materials without commuting great distances to do so. Having a local business that can provide work experience so that they can gain experience. Maybe giving a person some self-esteem by giving them a chance to work for something rather that having to live on the charity of others.

This makes the assumption that no other business would fill the vacuum left by Wal-mart. Seeing as Wal-mart and other such big box stores tend to put small businesses out of business, I think the opposite assumption would be more likely.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
That Wal Mart would rather cancel developing new sites than pay a living wage to it's employees only highlights the problem of corporate greed over social and community wellbeing.

This.

Local governments have the right to set regulations concerning the welfare of their citizens. And businesses have every right to pursue a profit. But I find it very telling when the pursuit of profit is the only thing that the management of a corporation seems to be concerned with.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Well it appears that Wal-Mart says it will pull out of Washington D.C. if the City Council passes the Large Retailer Accountability Act which would basically require Wal-Mart to pay minimum wages 50% above the city's current minimum wage. Of course there are exceptions and exemptions in the purposed legislation..... this was taken from the following article: Wal-Mart Threatens to Pull Out of Washington, D.C. - US News and World Report
There has always been complaints that stores that provide good nutritional groceries can not be found in low income areas of big cities. Why the City Council is basically "cutting off it nose to spite it's face" is hard to understand.

What is your opinion on the possible legislation?

I don't think that our government should be regulating businesses and their employee wages to this extent. It makes me uncomfortable that we continue to allow government to take such measures.

No company should be demanded to raise its employee wages and if WalMart decides to pull - more power to them. People can shop elsewhere and haters should be shopping elsewhere already.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Maybe giving a person some self-esteem by giving them a chance to work for something rather that having to live on the charity of others.
ANd what kind of charity of others are these people living on? Care to share what groups of people, race, etc?

esmith

Veteran Member
This makes the assumption that no other business would fill the vacuum left by Wal-mart. Seeing as Wal-mart and other such big box stores tend to put small businesses out of business, I think the opposite assumption would be more likely.

Then tell me which business have stepped up and offered to build a story in what some would consider a poor neighborhood community or area? I point to the following article

Grocery stores scarce for many DC residents - Greater Greater Washington

tytlyf

Not Religious