• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion on Wal-Mart to pull of of Washington D.C.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I asked for evidence. You don't have any. Neither of your links support your assertion that the majority of workers that are on minimum wage are teenagers and college students. You're welcome to try again, or just admit you're wrong.

In fairness, I could see how a rise in minimum wage, or rather, the loss of unskilled cheap jobs, could result in no jobs for teens. That doesn't mean that teens were the primary seekers, or retainers, of these jobs. Just that these jobs were the primary employers of teens.

tytlyf

Not Religious
If you want to see food stamp usage/welfare etc drop, increase the federal minimum wage. Problem solved.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Which is a great argument that we are subsidizing business.

Indeed. This write up happens to be about female wal-mart employs.They make up 72% of their employs.But it brings up your point.

For most women, working at Wal-Mart offers a dead-end job that barely
covers the necessities of life. On average, a "sales associate" earns
$6.10 an hour, or $13,688 annually if she works full time. Not
surprisingly, many Wal- Mart workers live below the poverty level, use
county pulic health services and -- at least half of them -- qualify for
the federal food-stamp program. In other words, taxpayers subsidize
Wal-Mart's profits by paying for the federal, state and county assistance
that Wal Mart's workers require to survive.

Women and Wal-Mart — Longview Institute

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member

From above article:
"the one thing that we can safely conclude from the diagram above is that any relation between the minimum wage and the unemployment rate certainly isn't obvious in these data."

as for this one it's a wall street journal opinion piece that mentions "study after study" but has no links to such studies to back up their claims. Not to mention the WSJ is well known for it's bias.

So yeah still no evidence. How about actual studies or peer-reviewed scholarly articles?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
If you want to see food stamp usage/welfare etc drop, increase the federal minimum wage. Problem solved.

Exactly. You'd think all these conservative types who moan and gripe about so much of their tax money being spent on welfare would jump at the idea of increasing minimum wage to a liveable level for those who work full time. It would mean that you could work full time and actually make enough so that you don't have to go on welfare which is what many full time employees have to do now.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I asked for evidence. You don't have any. Neither of your links support your assertion that the majority of workers that are on minimum wage are teenagers and college students. You're welcome to try again, or just admit you're wrong.

Those links weren't at all relevant to that, they were relevant to another one of my points.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I agree. I heard "rumors" that Obama has that on his agenda.I heard the $9.50

That's certainly a good start and I hope he's able to get it through the congress lock down. Ideally I think federal should pass a minimum wage bill that would require all states to raise their minimum wage to a point where working full time would earn one a liveable wage based on the cost of living in that state and that the wage must be slated to increase along with inflation.

These days working full time on minimum wage is not enough to live off of in most areas. Which means the old adage of "get a job, ya bum" really doesn't work because simply getting a job could actually put you in a worse situation without that guarantee that full time labor will give you enough to live off of especially when you factor in the fact that many if not most such people also have kids to care for.

It doesn't have to be enough to live well or comfortably but at least enough to be able to keep a roof over their head, food on the table, and clothes on their backs.

tytlyf

Not Religious
These days the minimum wage that millions work on isn't keeping up with inflation. So as things become more expensive to live, the amount coming in can't keep up.
There's a huge difference between welfare and food stamps. While about 1 in 100 people is on welfare, about 1 in 6 is on foodstamps. Food stamps equate to a little over $100 per month and you have to be working and cannot make a certain amount.
If the minimum wage is increased, you'd see food stamp recipients pass that eligibility level and therefore wouldn't need the extra help feeding the family. Same goes for welfare, some people will make it up from welfare into food stamps (less people on welfare).

So the government in the end is cutting spending on these programs due to less recipients qualifying and the burden shifts to the private corporations to make up the difference.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
These days the minimum wage that millions work on isn't keeping up with inflation. So as things become more expensive to live, the amount coming in can't keep up.

Right just look at even gas prices.

I've seen it written this way and it sounds so odd.Some people cant AFFORD to go to work.

If you make minimum wage or HECK even under $10 an hour where I live you aren't going to make it.Sure you may not litterally die of starvation but is that the standard here now?

The only way to live with just not starving being the goal is to find someone else who is in your position and move in together splitting the basics of roof over head and utilties.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yep, my first apartment wasn't alone, because 1 bedroom's are prime. So you start with what you can afford and if you make more you can move up in privacy. I think this is common sense worldwide.