• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion on Wal-Mart to pull of of Washington D.C.

esmith

Veteran Member
Well it appears that Wal-Mart says it will pull out of Washington D.C. if the City Council passes the Large Retailer Accountability Act which would basically require Wal-Mart to pay minimum wages 50% above the city's current minimum wage. Of course there are exceptions and exemptions in the purposed legislation.....
It would grandfather in retailers currently operating in the District and include an exception for workplaces with unions, safeguards that noticeably do not apply to Wal-Mart.
this was taken from the following article: Wal-Mart Threatens to Pull Out of Washington, D.C. - US News and World Report
There has always been complaints that stores that provide good nutritional groceries can not be found in low income areas of big cities. Why the City Council is basically "cutting off it nose to spite it's face" is hard to understand.

What is your opinion on the possible legislation?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I oppose the whole idea of government regulating wages & prices.
But it would be a crying shame if DC didn't have a Walmart...after all, both have such close ties to China.

tytlyf

Not Religious
They aren't necessarily pulling out, they are reconsidering 6 new stores being built that won't be grandfathered in. Let them pull out, they still have their own stores there. I take issue with a corporation like walmart doing whatever they can to make as much profit as possible.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I just love how money and corporations are so much more important than people. Why should businesses have to pay people in order for them to survive? If you're not born rich, the only thing you're good for is slave labor. So why should business be forced to pay people anything at all? People should just be happy they have a job, even if it doesn't pay anything, literally.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I just love how money and corporations are so much more important than people. Why should businesses have to pay people in order for them to survive? If you're not born rich, the only thing you're good for is slave labor. So why should business be forced to pay people anything at all? People should just be happy they have a job, even if it doesn't pay anything, literally.

What else would pay people in order for them to survive? This is not to say corporations or money are better than people, because if you ask me, when you put a company and a thousand dollar paycheck on one end of a scale and a person on the other, the person outweighs them by far. In fact, corporations are evil, businesses are evil, I don't support companies buying smaller companies, it just makes a messy market.

But one thing I do think is that labor is a necessary thing, you can pretty much call anything slave labor as long as you don't like it.

I don't see why people would be happy if they have a job that literally doesn't pay anything, though. Mind going in deeper on that?

The Sum of Awe

Man, thank god Walmart isn't leaving Iowa, because that store's like the mall to my town.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
That Wal Mart would rather cancel developing new sites than pay a living wage to it's employees only highlights the problem of corporate greed over social and community wellbeing.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Man, thank god Walmart isn't leaving Iowa, because that store's like the mall to my town.
I wonder how many small businesses had to shut down because of it.

That Wal Mart would rather cancel developing new sites than pay a living wage to it's employees only highlights the problem of corporate greed over social and community wellbeing.
yep, they don't give one rats behind about their employees when a business gets that big.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Right.Then rub it in that will be 1,800 jobs that would have been created now lost.Its like I don't know dangling 1/2 a carrot.

The Sum of Awe

I think the minimum wage should be raised across the board period. $7.25 is absurd.

The price goes up, then so does the value. Besides, if you look at the numbers, you'll notice that most people that are working on minimum wage are teenagers or college students, only working part time and most likely will leave in a couple of years anyways.

And, every time there has been a raise in minimum wage, there has also been an increase in the number of low skilled workers that are suddenly unemployed.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The price goes up, then so does the value. Besides, if you look at the numbers, you'll notice that most people that are working on minimum wage are teenagers or college students, only working part time and most likely will leave in a couple of years anyways.

And, every time there has been a raise in minimum wage, there has also been an increase in the number of low skilled workers that are suddenly unemployed.
That sounds like your opinion and not supported by facts. The majority of people on minimum wage are not teenagers or college students.
As far as your second part, prove it. Actually, prove the first part as well.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
That sounds like your opinion and not supported by facts. The majority of people on minimum wage are not teenagers or college students.
As far as your second part, prove it. Actually, prove the first part as well.

Example.The average age of a Mcdonalds worker is 28.Are they all working on their masters still?

And when I go into Wal Mart? Ummm...sorry its just my experience but there are LOTS of middle aged and elderly people working there.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Example.The average age of a Mcdonalds worker is 28.Are they all working on their masters still?

And when I go into Wal Mart? Ummm...sorry its just my experience but there are LOTS of middle aged and elderly people working there.
Exactly, it's not like anyone notices this with their daily activities. That's enough to shake your head at his statement.