• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men - Would you take your wife's last name instead?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Let's just abandon all traditions and burn all religious books and string up every white hetero male on the planet and worship the woman and make her all powerful.

Is there any traditions not coming under attack?

I feel like a dinosaur breathing his last breath. Lord take me now! I don't want to live among the unbelievers any longer. The world has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Quibbling over a last name and disrespecting tradition is insulting to the traditional family. What is wrong with traditions?

I think that the reason you are getting reactions to this post is that it sounds as if it is dripping with sarcasm. It does not come off as joking, it comes off as demeaning and sarcastic. Like by challenging the last name tradition we might as well be doing the other things that you mention. Whether you meant for it to sound that way or not, that is how it came out. Hence...reaction.

Otherwise, this thread has me rolling! Some people here are just cracking me up bad, and I think it's obvious who.

I don't expect Turk to take my last name and wouldn't feel the need to ask him. My last name(maiden/current) is maybe not as common, but there are a LOT of males in my family to carry on the name if that is important (though I don't understand why it is so important for a man's name to be carried on and not a woman's). I expect to take his last name. Honestly, I kind of like it better. It is simple and people don't screw it up or mispronounce it constantly. It sounds good with my first and middle name.

I made the mistake of taking my first husband's name (Hiramatsu) and have come to the conclusion that if Turk had a name like that, I'd just keep my own. Much simpler.

Nanda

Polyanna
Just a little follow-up note: My younger sister is getting married next week, and I just found out that her fiancee is going to take our last name! :D

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm trying to imagine how his father feels about the family name not being carried on. In my opinion, a real man would never do this. I wonder what his Mother thinks. Could she wonder if her daughter -in -law is somehow better than she was when she got married.

Nanda

Polyanna
I'm trying to imagine how his father feels about the family name not being carried on.

His father is not in the picture - even if he were, his opinion is irrelevant to everyone concerned; mother, son and future daughter-in-law. He lost their respect a long time ago, and forfeited the right to have any say.

In my opinion, a real man would never do this.

There's no such thing as a "real man," all men are different. My sister is marrying a lovely man who makes her happy and treats her with love, respect and kindness. If that's not a real man, we're not interested in the alternative.

I wonder what his Mother thinks. Could she wonder if her daughter -in -law is somehow better than she was when she got married.

"No, she thinks I'm wonderful." - My sister. They agree one some things, disagree on others, but ultimately, they respect each other, and that's enough in this case.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
There's no such thing as a "real man,"

A real man does not leave his wife and children behind.
A real man provides for his family and puts their needs above his own.
A real man teaches his sons and daughters about honor and traditions.
A real man earns his families respect.
A real mans wife would be proud to carry his name.

In a way, I completely understand the situation now. Best wishes for the new couple.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Just a little follow-up note: My younger sister is getting married next week, and I just found out that her fiancee is going to take our last name! :D
Wow! You don't hear that every day. I didn't read through the entire thread but....why did he decide to take her name?

I gladly took Rick's last name....my maiden name was Edsel, as in the mega-lemon 1950's car. :cool:

lunamoth

Will to love
Likewise BC I happily took my husband's name because I did not really like my maiden name. :) My maiden name is dutch and actually if it were in the original dutch spelling and form I'd like it better...but it was americanized. Blech.

I don't think my hub would have taken my name. I might have asked for it if my mom had kept her maiden name and I had it too...we've had all girls on her side and that name is now gone from all my living relatives.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
My wife took my name when we got married, her last name became her middle name and her middle name went away,

I wouldn't have taken her name because I'm the only male of my family with the family last name to carry on.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Ðanisty;918975 said:
I'm sorry, but I think Edsels are cool...lol.
Actually I really like them too...it's just that I used to get teased endlessly by teachers/adults in school about what a lemon I was. Jokingly of course.

A couple of years ago I almost bought a 1958 Edsel Citation that looked very similar to this pic except it was a cream color. It was so freakin awesome. I still want one!

Edsel_Citation_1958_03.jpg

Nanda

Polyanna

So the first prerequisite for manhood is having children, apparently...

So my husband, my sister's fiance, Victor, and Littledragon are not real men. I bet this will come as a surprise to them.

How about "A real man would be proud to carry his wife's name." :shrug: Just throwing it out there.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I'm trying to imagine how his father feels about the family name not being carried on. In my opinion, a real man would never do this. I wonder what his Mother thinks. Could she wonder if her daughter -in -law is somehow better than she was when she got married.
Can we say no true Scotsman?

In a way, I completely understand the situation now. Best wishes for the new couple.
Interesting how you would not flat out say that a real man would not take his wifes last name.
Seems to me that in presenting it the way you did, you imply that a real man must look for a specific type of wife.
One that is submissive, perhaps?

rojse

RF Addict
I wonder what happens when a man with a hyphenated surname, and a woman with a hyphenated surname marry?

Would the end result be something like Jones-Smith-Williams-Cameron?