• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men - Would you take your wife's last name instead?

Mustard Seed

Jack of all trades... :)
So, now I pose the question to the men of RF: Would you change your last name to your wife's if she asked you to? And if not, what are your reasons? Would you expect her to change her last name to yours? Why, or why not?

I would never change it...mine has strong blood lines. :D

In Canada we have a neat little rule. After you get married your wife can just assume your last name. This way she can use it whenever she wants and if the time ever came where she would need her old "identity" back....then she could, with no hassle at all.

Littledragon

Questing Dragon
I'm getting married in a month and I am taking my fiancees last name. I come from a really bad childhood, my family is non-existant (I don't even know my fathers name), and I don't want to carry on the name I was born with. I will just feel better changing my last name, and my fiancee wanted to keep her last name anyway (for professional reasons). It will be a fresh start for me with a new name and a new family

Sweet water and light laughter
Littledragon

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"Would you take your wife's last name...?"

Of course I'd take her last name. She's not going to need it anymore.

*runs* :run:

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
So, now I pose the question to the men of RF: Would you change your last name to your wife's if she asked you to? And if not, what are your reasons? Would you expect her to change her last name to yours? Why, or why not?

I nearly did. My parents had gone through a messy divorce and I wanted nothing to do with my father, so I thought, why not take my wife's surname? She, unfortunately, had even worse problems and didn't want anything to do with her father either and in Romania it would be viewed as strange, to put it mildly, for a husband to take his wife's name. For a short period we considered her mother's maiden name, but in the end went with my mother's.

James

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
So, now I pose the question to the men of RF: Would you change your last name to your wife's if she asked you to?

I seriously considered this, since I had moved to Sweden to be with my Swedish partner, and I thought that it might help my prospects of securing a job. However, she wouldn't hear of it. We decided instead to both retain our last names.

If she had asked, I might very well have changed my last name.

eudaimonia,

Mark

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
I would be willing to come to a compromise as my last name means a lot to me and I get that my better halfs last name means alot to her aswell.

I know it sounds selfish but I want my name to carry on as I'm the only one who can do that in my generation as my cousins are either girls or sons who have their fathers last name (see something good does come from having a single parent mother lol).

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
My wife and I did discuss this before we were married.
She and I agreed that it did not matter who's last name was used so we let tradition decide.

Does anyone here come from a family that their father and mother are still married and have only been married once?
As a matter of fact, not only are my parents stilled married without divorce, so are the parents of my wife.

Out of curiosity, what does this have to do with the topic?

yuvgotmel

Does anyone here come from a family that their father and mother are still married and have only been married once?

Me....

My parents will be married for 35 years coming this June. And I'll be 34 years old in September.

ADDITIONAL: (Apologies for the duplicate posts... But this server is lagging soooooooooooo badly.)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Just wondered if anyone had a reason to break away from tradition. Usually there is a reason for everything.

I have a question...

What exactly is so great about tradition, other than the fact that its traditional? And, for that matter, why do you assume that someone who questions tradition has to come from some sort of anti-traditional history?

Maybe the reason is just because there's no reason not to question any tradition.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Just wondered if anyone had a reason to break away from tradition. Usually there is a reason for everything.
Personally my parents have been together for 20+ years. They're both each other's first husband/wife. And yet somehow I manage to have different opinions and desires than them, and a different outlook than people who have been raised by parents who also are each other's first spouse and haven't separated! Isn't that weird?

I'll ask this again: Where in this thread has anyone said that we should "abandon all traditions and burn all religious books and string up every white hetero male on the planet and worship the woman and make her all powerful"?