• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men - Would you take your wife's last name instead?

Booko

Deviled Hen
I thought that was supposed to be the funny part. ;)

The only funny use of "unnatural" I've seen is in reference to P.D.Q. Bach's famous opera:

Hansel & Gretel & Ted & Alice: An opera in one unnatural act :areyoucra

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I don't think taking someone else's las name is inherently feminine, it's just traditional. Women aren't born with a burning desire to change their surname. :sarcastic

There is nothing inherently feminine about changing your name when married.
Just like there is nothing inherently feminine about washing the dishes, or cooking supper, or staying home while your husband goes to work to support the family.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I personally don't like my last name, so I have no problem taking my potential husbands. As long as it's not something like: Buggereater

anders

I never understood this business in the Bible about not having your (male) name die. What's in a name? Why the rules, for example on levirate marriage? Way before my turning atheist, I found it abominable that a man might be forced by God's law to reproduce with an equally compelled and perhaps as unwilling woman, just to have a "name" perpetuated.

Ok, when my wife and I got married (we're both girls btw) this was a big issue for us. My last name is VERY important to me, I come from a very close family and I'm a complete Daddy's girl and I just wanted to keep it. She barely knows her Dad. However, we wanted the same last name and I didn't feel right with her giving up her last name. Coincidentally though, since we married, I've started using her last name when I want to simplify things.
Honestly, my last name doesn't really get me worked up. I will say though, I HATE being called Mrs. and will tell anyone who calls me Mrs that. But that's another thread.