• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incels: A growing movement

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The following video is short but an introductory to a small but growing movement

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I don't always agree with Jordan Peterson, but on this point I do: One essential aspect of a successful, happy life is to become competent. The incel worldview is a path to despair.

Flame

Beware
I don't always agree with Jordan Peterson, but on this point I do: One essential aspect of a successful, happy life is to become competent. The incel worldview is a path to despair.

Which is funny considering some of the incels I know of see Peterson as a godfigure.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is certainly disturbing that there is such a thing as an organized movement of people who want to continuously and openly resent being on the shelf, to the point of advocating violence.

In retrospect, it is also probably predictable. A perhaps unavoidable result of the raising awareness and empowerment of women coupled with the regrettable situations of subservience and passivity that made that empowerment necessary in the first place. It would have been considerably less traumatic if we were not also under a powerful spell of individualism-as-a-virtue; people neglect the very real need of social safety networks and sometimes feel proud of it. Online communities may sometimes be helpful, but this example shows how dangerous they can also be when too insulated, too incestuous.

Anyway, it all goes down to necessary, unavoidable social change. Some people adjust and accept the changes earlier and better than others, and that creates situations of desolation and despair based on self-pity, loss of references, a sense of abandonment.

I see no real response possible besides actually addressing the estrangement and solving it. Those people need better ways of dealing with loneliness and loss. For their own well-being as well as of those who deal with the consequences of their misguidance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't watch videos. Could you summarize?
I've heard of this strange type of organized failure.
I googled.
I found.
Incel - Wikipedia
A surprising excerpt.....
The first online community to use the term "incel" was started in 1993 when a Canadian
college student known only by her first name, Alana, created a website in order to discuss
her sexual inactivity with others.[11][14][15][16] The website, titled "Alana's Involuntary
Celibacy Project",[11] was used by people of all genders to share their thoughts and
experiences. In 1997, she started a mailing list on the topic that used the abbreviation
INVCEL, which was later shortened to "incel". During her college career and after, she
realized she was queer, and became more comfortable with her identity. She later gave
the site to a stranger.[15]

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The following video is short but an introductory to a small but growing movement

What are your thoughts?
A rather pathetic collection of people who seek destruction and abuse of others in lieu of self improvement. I am of the opinion that it is a dangerous mentality.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Which is funny considering some of the incels I know of see Peterson as a godfigure.

Which is doubly funny since those folks aren't competent enough to actually listen to what he's saying. :)

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
So that they can raise their own independence movement and military and settle things with despair and missiles.

Sure. Why not?
The guys can't figure out how to get laid, I highly doubt their abilities to figure out how to build a missile.

Rational Agnostic

What are your thoughts?

They're addicted to playing the victim. Many of them *could* be attractive to women if they wanted to, but if you sit on your computer all day in a dark room wearing a ratty striped-shirt and chain-smoking cigarettes, what do you expect? The fact that these guys can't form meaningful relationships with women is just natural selection's way of weeding self-pitying losers out of the gene pool.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The guys can't figure out how to get laid, I highly doubt their abilities to figure out how to build a missile.
Never underestimate the resolve of a desperate man.

(And just to be clear, I was being sarcastic).

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
They're addicted to playing the victim. Many of them *could* be attractive to women if they wanted to, but if you sit on your computer all day in a dark room wearing a ratty striped-shirt and chain-smoking cigarettes, what do you expect? The fact that these guys can't form meaningful relationships with women is just natural selection's way of weeding self-pitying losers out of the gene pool.

Could equally be said about many with mental health issues though - which some of these might indeed have. Perhaps some gentle beating about the head with some common sense might get some of them out of their fixed positions to engage with the real world and shift their viewpoints. Nowt come from nothing, might be a good start. :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Technical skill is often inversely proportional so social skill.
But worry not....they'd never find needed parts in Inceladus.
They'd have plenty of ice though.