• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is no God who started the universe

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
True, but still the question will remain ( unanswered) about if God do not exist, how did it all start :)
This questions is just oposit of what those who do not believe in a God ask those who believe.

They ask for proof of God, I ask of the proof no God exists, that means they have to understand what was it that started it ( they claim science can answer it)

Why would they have to do that?

ANYTHING about the 'start' of the universe is, at this point, pure speculation. We simply have no relevant evidence concerning a 'start'.

We *do* have a variety of theories of physics that attempt to answer this, but NONE have actual data to support them (past what we know about quantum mechanics and general relativity). And they don't all give the same answer.

So, the upshot is that we simply do not know. We have a few guesses, but we have no actual data to test those guesses against. Until we do, any possible answer is speculation and nothing else.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All the time i hear "there is no God, evolution is the cause of our existence "

My thought: i believe many religious people are thinking, if there is no God, how did it all start?

How can something suddenly go Bang ( big bang) but nothing triggerd the bang to happen?
So the question is.

No God, how did it go bang the first time from a big empty nothing?
Was there something there that triggerd it?

If there as been a series of big bangs over billions of years,what cased the first big bang?
All interesting questions.
Does their existence mean anything?
Do they matter? Why?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They ask for proof of God, I ask of the proof no God exists, that means they have to understand what was it that started it ( they claim science can answer it)
If you can't prove God exists and they can't prove that God doesn't exist, what then?

I have an answer, but I'm curious as to what yours is.

HonestJoe

As long as you get that the "Big Bang" is not a fact, we can play that came.
Yes, it's nothing as simple as that, which is why I suggested Amanaki sought out formal technical information about the topic rathe than asking on a religious forum. I don't claim to be any kind of expert so what I get doesn't really matter. I'm not playing any game here.

exchemist

Veteran Member
True, but still the question will remain ( unanswered) about if God do not exist, how did it all start :)
This questions is just oposit of what those who do not believe in a God ask those who believe.

They don't make that claim, actually. Or at any rate, not the ones that know what they are talking about.

Science does not claim to know the answer, as I explained earlier in the thread.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't see how that relates to my post.

Another way to look at my question: even if we assumed that God does exist, wouldn't we still want to understand how the universe started?

... or do you think that you already have an understanding of how the universe started (and this understanding depends on God's existence)?
My understanding of how it all started come from religion, i do not trust science at all on this topics

shivsomashekhar

My thought: i believe many religious people are thinking, if there is no God, how did it all start?

How can something suddenly go Bang ( big bang) but nothing triggerd the bang to happen?
So the question is.

If there as been a series of big bangs over billions of years,what cased the first big bang?

Amanaki,

1. The Big Bang model is theory.
2. It has been developed to explain a number of observable phenomena - as a possible cause.
3. It does not explain the origins of matter, time and space and is *honest* about it.
4. It does not claim that the Universe was created from nothing, through a magical bang

If you claim that your God is an alternative to the above, then you are acknowledging that your God is theory and is nothing more than a primitive speculation on our origins.

The Universe was not created. The idea is logically flawed along with the idea of a creator God.

shivsomashekhar

My understanding of how it all started come from religion, i do not trust science at all on this topics

Totally Ok to not trust speculation and theory.

But be honest to yourself and apply the same yardstick to medieval religious speculation too. These stories are no more credible than scientific speculation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
At the risk of repeating myself, science has nothing to say on the subject of "how it all started". All science tells us is that the observations are consistent with the universe having expanded from a previous hot dense state.

If you distrust that, then you are welcome to come forward with a better explanation for these observations (of the cosmological red shift and the cosmic background radiation, the "CMBR"). Or maybe it is the observations themselves you distrust, in which case you are welcome to explain why you think they are mistaken.

This model says nothing about the actual start, if there was one in any recognisable sense, nor anything about causes for it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Set aside whether you have an understanding of how the universe started; do you even have a belief about it?

I get that you think that God was the cause of everything, but this says nothing about how the universe was created... i.e. how God actually did it.

Saying "God is responsible for the universe" isn't any more of an explanation than saying "natural forces are responsible for the universe."

Believing that God created the universe doesn't say anything about how the universe was created, so I'm curious as to why you would only care about the question when God isn't assumed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Amanaki,

1. The Big Bang model is theory.
2. It has been developed to explain a number of observable phenomena - as a possible cause.
3. It does not explain the origins of matter, time and space and is *honest* about it.
4. It does not claim that the Universe was created from nothing, through a magical bang

If you claim that your God is an alternative to the above, then you are acknowledging that your God is theory and is nothing more than a primitive speculation on our origins.

The Universe was not created. The idea is logically flawed along with the idea of a creator God.
I do not see scientific answer as truth about God :)

Vee

Premium Member

So the question is.

Actually, that's one of those questions that makes your head spin whether you believe in God or not.
If you believe in God you'll be wondering where God came from and how did he make the universe, and if you don't believe in God you'll be wondering how the entire thing started on it's own.

QuestioningMind

So the question is.

Currently we do not have sufficient information to determine what caused the universe to begin expanding in its current form a little under 14 billion years ago. It's quite possible that we'll never know. Unless or until we do obtain such information the cause of the Big Bang will remain a mystery. You can claim without evidence that some mysterious god being did it, however that's useless when it comes to actually solving the mystery. You don't solve a mystery by suggesting as even bigger mystery. Just like I could claim that mysterious magical pixies were the cause... but replacing the mystery of what caused the Big Bang with the even bigger mystery of magical pixies doesn't provide us with any real answers.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Actually, that's one of those questions that makes your head spin whether you believe in God or not.
If you believe in God you'll be wondering where God came from and how did he make the universe, and if you don't believe in God you'll be wondering how the entire thing started on it's own.
So, it seems there is only 1 way out of this then. I'll go for that way:)

HonestJoe

Because science can not answer that God do not exist
So the whole thread is a lie. You don't "trust" science so you don't actually care about the answers to the scientific questions you raised. Your answer will always be "God" regardless of what anyone else says. So what was even the point?