• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is no God who started the universe

Bear Wild

All the time i hear "there is no God, evolution is the cause of our existence "

My thought: i believe many religious people are thinking, if there is no God, how did it all start?

How can something suddenly go Bang ( big bang) but nothing triggerd the bang to happen?
So the question is.

No God, how did it go bang the first time from a big empty nothing?
Was there something there that triggerd it?

If there as been a series of big bangs over billions of years,what cased the first big bang?

The current universe started from what was before the current universe. We do not have a way to know exactly what was present but it was not nothing. Nothing comes from nothing so there was something. There is no more evidence for a god than we have for what was present before the big bang.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I don't know what started the universe. I don't even know if there was a start at all. Maybe there wasn't. We may never know.

I think more people should be comfortable with answering "I don't know" to unknowns.

InvestigateTruth

All the time i hear "there is no God, evolution is the cause of our existence "

My thought: i believe many religious people are thinking, if there is no God, how did it all start?

How can something suddenly go Bang ( big bang) but nothing triggerd the bang to happen?
So the question is.

No God, how did it go bang the first time from a big empty nothing?
Was there something there that triggerd it?

If there as been a series of big bangs over billions of years,what cased the first big bang?
Maybe there is a scientific reason for start of big bang. Maybe an unknown force caused it. Why does it have to be a god? It is not discovered yet.

Last edited:

MonkeyFire

Evolution is NOT the cause of creation. It is God that created universe, NOT evolution.

We cannot you use the word "created" and "evolution" together ?

If evolution is still creating -- then in order to claim this point -- we have to wait until evolution finish creating everything.
If evolution created. then it is NOT evolution because evolution means which is constantly evolving/changing all things every sec (Even evolving while when we making all these posts)

Hence, evolution created claim stands inappropriate.

Imo they're both wrong.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
By definition God always existed and will always exist. Is that so hard for people to grasp? Really!

All I know is that existence exists so there must be eternal, infinite existence out there. In an infinite existence you could conceivably have an existence that is fundamental, and totally unconditional as for its eternal existence.

No one knows if our universe is eternal, or exists because of prior conditions. One thing I'm certain of is that the universe in its present condition is fleeting. It won't stay the same forever.

A Vestigial Mote

Because we are finite - ourselves with a perceived start and perceived end - we have a tendency to feel it necessary that all other things have starts and ends. But if you view this universe of matter and energy as simply a system experiencing a constant and gradated change, then you come to suspect that foisting a "beginning" onto it might actually be very silly. "Time" is only our expression of witnessing that the change has a certain rate to it - and our attempt to measure it, and make some sense of our relative place in this vast ocean of change. We honestly have zero authority to assign it all a beginning.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wouldn't someone concerned with the truth simply ask "how did it all start?" Why do you need the "if there is no God..." on the beginning?

I mean, starting off with the assumption that your preferred conclusion is some sort of default isn't rational.
Because a gazillion threads in RF is about that "God does not exist"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do not know if people overlook the question in the OP, but one of the question was, if there is no God how did it start?

Yes i know evolution comes after something has been " created"but if there is no God to make something go bang, what was it?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I do not know if people overlook the question in the OP, but one of the question was, if there is no God how did it start?

Yes i know evolution comes after something has been " created"but if there is no God to make something go bang, what was it?

It is not possible for anybody to know because we can't examine the cause of the Big Bang. Until we can examine it, best treat it as unknown, since anything else is a guess. Even those who say that a god exists cannot explain the mechanism of how that god caused creation and many religions cannot even explain of what he made creation out of.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is not possible for anybody to know because we can't examine the cause of the Big Bang. Until we can examine it, best treat it as unknown, since anything else is a guess. Even those who say that a god exists cannot explain the mechanism of how that god caused creation and many religions cannot even explain of what he made creation out of.
True, but still the question will remain ( unanswered) about if God do not exist, how did it all start :)
This questions is just oposit of what those who do not believe in a God ask those who believe.

They ask for proof of God, I ask of the proof no God exists, that means they have to understand what was it that started it ( they claim science can answer it)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
True, but still the question will remain ( unanswered) about if God do not exist, how did it all start :)
This questions is just oposit of what those who do not believe in a God ask those who believe.

They ask for proof of God, I ask of the proof no God exists, that means they have to understand what was it that started it ( they claim science can answer it)

Then this discussion is really about what method do we use to determine whether something is true isn't it? Do you determine what is true based on evidence proving something's existence or on absence of evidence?

Basing truth on what we see and have evidence of prevents us from believing anything that comes to mind. If we choose to believe in God because there is no evidence that God doesn't exists as well as no proof that he does exist, then if we are consistent in our methodology we have to believe in an infinite amount of things because even if there is no positive proof of them, there is no proof that they do not exist. Do you see the problem with the latter method of determine what is true?

That is why, if a topic is out of the realm of examination, meaning that we cannot prove or falsify something, then really the only intellectually honest claim we can make about the topic is that "we do not know", as we have no knowledge about it.

[edit] Also if someone says that there is no proof of God's existence, they are not claiming that a God doesn't exist. So they don't have to give an alternative explanation.

If they make the claim that God definitely doesn't exist, then they should give an alternative knowledge claim and show how they examined the topic.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then this discussion is really about what method do we use to determine whether something is true isn't it? Do you determine what is true based on evidence proving something's existence or on absence of evidence?

Basing truth on what we see and have evidence of prevents us from believing anything that comes to mind. If we choose to believe in God because there is no evidence that God doesn't exists as well as no proof that he does exist, then if we are consistent in our methodology we have to believe in an infinite amount of things because even if there is no positive proof of them, there is no proof that they do not exist. Do you see the problem with the latter method of determine what is true?

That is why, if a topic is out of the realm of examination, meaning that we cannot prove or falsify something, then really the only intellectually honest claim we can make about the topic is that "we do not know", as we have no knowledge about it.

The meaning of the OP is to see of any of the God bashers can answer how everything started if there is no God.
The OP is their own question, just put the other way, so they have to give the answer how existence actually started if God do not exist

Personally i can not understand how existence in this human realm could start if God do not exist, so i will wait for their answer.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Another thing to bare in mind is that certain claims about God can be proven and potentially proves that a certain concept of God doesn't exist. So for instance if a Holy Book makes certain claims about what God did or does and it is proven that those claims didn't or don't happen, then we could say that the whole concept or certain conceptions of that said God is wrong because then certain attributes or actions attributed to it have proven to be a lie. If that is the case then we cannot trust the religion to provide us with accurate knowledge of God.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Another thing to bare in mind is that certain claims about God can be proven and potentially proves that a certain concept of God doesn't exist. So for instance if a Holy Book makes certain claims about what God did or does and it is proven that those claims didn't or don't happen, then we could say that the whole concept or certain conceptions of that said God is wrong because then certain attributes or actions attributed to it have proven to be a lie. If that is the case then we cannot trust the religion to provide us with accurate knowledge of God.
How can you know what God did or didn't do if you dont even believe God is real? That does not answer how did everything start if there is no God

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
How can you know what God did or didn't do if you dont even believe God is real? That does not answer how did everything start if there is no God

I am approaching it from what I see is the logical position that we cannot determine whether God is real or not. So it would be incorrect to say that I don't believe that God is real.

The method that I am propagating is a method we use in everyday life. If someone says that you, Amanaki, did something and it is proven that you haven't done it, then the claim is a lie. So if people say that God caused a worldwide flood, but through geology we are able to disprove that there was a world wide flood, then the concept of a God causing a wordwide flood is wrong. So it would be addressing certain claims about God made by certain religions.

I think you also missed an edit in one of my posts because I edited too late for you to notice:

"Also if someone says that there is no proof of God's existence, they are not claiming that a God doesn't exist. So they don't have to give an alternative explanation.

If they make the claim that God definitely doesn't exist, then they should give an alternative knowledge claim and show how they examined the topic."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am approaching it from what I see is the logical position that we cannot determine whether God is real or not. So it would be incorrect to say that I don't believe that God is real.

The method that I am propagating is a method we use in everyday life. If someone says that you, Amanaki, did something and it is proven that you haven't done it, then the claim is a lie. So if people say that God caused a worldwide flood, but through geology we are able to disprove that there was a world wide flood, then the concept of a God causing a wordwide flood is wrong. So it would be addressing certain claims about God made by certain religions.

I think you also missed an edit in one of my posts because I edited too late for you to notice:

"Also if someone says that there is no proof of God's existence, they are not claiming that a God doesn't exist. So they don't have to give an alternative explanation.

If they make the claim that God definitely doesn't exist, then they should give an alternative knowledge claim and show how they examined the topic."
What if the geological happens because of God?
You are correct in one aspect:) you are one of the few who do not say " God can not exist or doesn't exists " you are maybe more of a "maybe God exist maybe not"

But there are people who claim God does not exist the ask believers to prove them wrong.
I am as you know, one who believe in God, but i ask non believers to answer one simple question, but they have not given the answer.

If God do not exist how could suddenly something exist, how or what made it go boom?

Until some of the non believers can answer that, i will wait for them to answer.