• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I finally met a Trump supporter

Akivah

I've been trying to meet someone that would admit they support him and finally met two this past weekend. I didn't want to argue or persuade them, I just wanted to know why they did.

All two of them said they wanted a candidate that promised change from the current state of Washington. And they were hopeful about Trump's ability to deliver. And they both said that he is the most honest of the candidates remaining.

All I could think from their words, is that "hope and change" sound eerily familiar with a past presidential candidate that ended up not delivering either.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Shoot, I have 4 in my family, My brother in law and his 2 voting aged son's and my father. They stand by the fact the Trump is the only candidate able to make change. The brother in law and his 2 son's also hate democrats Obama for ruining the country. I have given up debating them they don't believe that Trump means all the negative things he says but they do believe he will make change its frustrating.

Sultan Of Swing

Trump is very interesting in that he's managed to make different people project their ideal candidate onto him.

I've seen people as you have said just looking for change, there's one I've watched whose top priority is 'reducing the national debt' and has projected that top priority onto the can-do-all-things Donald Trump. I've also watched Mexican voters who say Trump doesn't really mean a lot of the stuff he says but he will get things done and make things better for them. There are more obvious things like people who are tired of mass immigration etc., but there are a whole host of different issues that people care about, from stagnating wages to conservative anger at losing the culture wars to libertarian desires to protect hard-fought freedoms, and Trump has managed to somehow tap into all of them.

I for one very much hope, as a Brit who is tired of his country being dragged into international conflicts, based on what Trump has said, that he will end destructive foreign wars, draw back NATO, respect the sovereignty of nations and peel back the effects of globalisation.

But perhaps I am just projecting my ideal candidate onto him too? He has said so many things, sometimes contradictory, that he can appeal to many different swathes of people all at once.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When ya canna look at the candidates, & decide who's best,
ya look'm over, & see which is the least worstest.
This will lead different people in different directions.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
And they both said that is the most honest of the candidates remaining.
With this statement, it is clear your new found friends have little to no critical grasp of the reality of his rhetoric.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
When ya canna look at the candidates, & decide who's best,
ya look'm over, & see which is the least worstest.
This will lead different people in different directions.

Kind of like asking people whether they would rather be tortured to death using a blow torch or an ice pick.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've been trying to meet someone that would admit they support him and finally met two this past weekend. I didn't want to argue or persuade them, I just wanted to know why they did.

All two of them said they wanted a candidate that promised change from the current state of Washington. And they were hopeful about Trump's ability to deliver. And they both said that is the most honest of the candidates remaining.

In the sense that he speaks his mind, that is probably true enough.

However, listening to one's innards over one's head is hardly a constructive quality when it comes to seeking solutions to the very real challenges of political representation in the current system and scale.

All I could think from their words, is that "hope and change" sound eerily familiar with a past presidential candidate that ended up not delivering either.
I honestly have no idea of who you mean here. There are so many reasonable guesses that I am surprised you are thinking of a single person.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Really? So you think we're worse off now than we were at the end of Bush's terms? Me thinks that's gonna be a hard sell.

Akivah

In the sense that he speaks his mind, that is probably true enough.

However, listening to one's innards over one's head is hardly a constructive quality when it comes to seeking solutions to the very real challenges of political representation in the current system and scale.

I honestly have no idea of who you mean here. There are so many reasonable guesses that I am surprised you are thinking of a single person.
Simply Google "hope and change" and the person I was alluding to, appears right on top.

[img id="yui_3_10_0_1_1460404098585_2472" src="http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/d4/42/36d44299b38a077bc7c8cc8478f6fc83.jpg" alt=" | My Thoughts on politics | Pinterest">

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The financial crash skews that perspective slightly, and I don't think Obama would have stopped it either...
But he did by taking actions prompted by Bernanke, Paulson, and even Bush in his last year. Bush and Paulson tried at first to hold off any radical change, but then it became clear that we had gone into a freefall, so they had to change course and they did.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've seen a few Trump 2016 bumper stickers, but I've never actually met any of his supporters.
I'm not really looking at Trump when it comes to this "hope and change," but rather the legions of Trump supporters who mirror legions of Obama supporters who seem to think the President has more power than what they actually have and that they can just walk right into the oval office and start doing whatever they want. It's actually rather frightening that these people, despite knowing anything about American politics, the political process, and the separation of powers, are putting people into office based on their misconceptions and delusions about how the government functions.

Baladas

An Págánach
My brother-in-law is the only person I personally know who is an open supporter.
I've seen the bumper stickers and even a shirt or two though.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I honestly gotta give it to Trump tho. He seems to be an honest person indeed. His mocking of a man of a special need, although was absolutely wrong, gives a strong impression that he is honest and tells what he really thinks. But yeah, politics are still full of lies by nature (so far).