1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured How to experience Bliss

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by stvdv, Sep 6, 2019.

1. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,820
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Yes. Both approaches are prescribed in Hindu methods too.

I think Ramana’s ‘sahaja samadhi’ is similar. However, Ramana would not allow any doubt as to what supervenes on what.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Howard Is

Howard Is Lucky Mud

Ratings:
    +2,927
    Religion:
    Egregious Cyber Hippy
    Mahamudra as I was taught originates with the mahasiddhas. The progenitor of Kagyu buddhism is usually considered to be Milarepa, but the roots go back to India and the mahasiddha Tilopa.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    The definition of mind:"bundle of thoughts"

Object of meditation actually is a thought

So that seems contradictory to me. But all exercises are kind of tricks in duality to gradually grow to non-duality; as they say "words are used to describe the indescribable"

So if this works for you, I would say use it. The other one you mentioned did work for me when I tried it in the past.

And I think your idea will also work for me. No I know, while typing I already checked it out:) (I just used "space in my head" instead, as mind equals bundle of thoughts in my vocabulary (Ramana and Sai Baba define it this way)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    That is why I appreciate Ramana Maharshi and Sai Baba so much. They teach very similar:

1) Do not dismiss other's Religion/Path
    2) Good to dismiss your thoughts ***

***: Of course don't become too enthusiastical in the practices:) (keep common sense): When on the road, in the driver seat, it's best to have "eyes on the road (not on Krishna)" and "focus on driving (not on third eye)";)

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,820
    Religion:
    Hindu
    I wholeheartedly agree.

As Gaudapada explained, advaita has no conflict with any variety of dvaita since dvaita is product of advaita. Also, I will like to cite my most favourable verse from upanishads.

When to a man who understands,
    the Self has become all things,
    what sorrow, what trouble can there be,
    to him who beholds that unity.
    — Isha Upanishad, Hymn 7
    So, rejoice in your path, till the following:

पुरुषः सोऽहमस्मि
    (O Sun the Nourisher, O sole Seer, O controller of all, O Soorya, the son of Prajapati!
    Disperse thy rays
    and gather up thy fiery Light...
    O That! What an auspicious Form is Thine – O That most glorious Form do I behold!
    That is This...It is This Supreme Self within me, He, indeed, am I!)
    — Isha Upanishad, Hymn 16

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,820
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Meditators may understand the profoundness of the above. There is no space-time before the Self-Consciousness. Once one realises that one is not the body and not the mind, there remains no difference between the Heart of Sun and Heart of Me. What profound auspicious teaching.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    Good reminder to keep Advaitists humble; major lesson I learned. I don't read that often though. Good to repeat often.

Beautiful verse. The moment my eyes see this, joy arises. Key word "beholds"

Thanks for reminding me
    This is the Truth

8. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    When Granted a Glimpse of THAT

And worldly happiness loses it's charm

I agree.:)

9. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    Thank you for sharing.
    The first 2 looked western and friendly. Then 2 very "Guru like" looking (what I expect them to look like). And the last one looked very strange (but long time ago, just picture drawing it seems). Naturally I am most drawn to the ones really looking like an Indian Guru. They really looked nice, those 2 from Sri Lanka. I visited Sri Lanka 5 times (around 1990-1995), probably I saw their pictures, because now, when I look at them, they feel kind of familiar to me.

When I first came to India (never read anything about Gurus except that I heard about Osho; my uncle went and was enthusiastic about Osho, so I thought let's go to India and experience myself; was in 1990 I think) and saw a foto of Shirdi Sai Baba, I "fell in love" with Him. Such a saintly person. I was really sad He was not alive anymore.

I guess that it does solve potential problems. Humans with too much ego tend to fall in to that trap. Guru is He who overcame that trap.
    The Guru concept is really very special. Some people mock this "Guru concept", but that usually are the people who never lived/experienced a Guru.

I can imagine he kept going back to Sri Ramana. Sri Ramana was the real deal (I stayed for a while with Poonjaji in Lucknow; disciple of Sri Ramana). Why search any further if you found "your Master". I did visit a few Masters when I started out in India; just to get a good impression. But after being with Sai Baba for a few years, and having my personal experiences, I never feel like searching for other Masters anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,353
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Now I'm curious. Are you Indian, or a westerner who moved, or an NRI who moved back?

Color is irrelevant to me, but what they teach would count.

11. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    I am born in Holland, so I am westerner. But I feel very "home" when being in India. When I was in Rishikesh it was a "magical mystery tour"
    And I love the Indian culture. Beautiful and rich in life lessons. Riksha driver first praying before starting to drive ... I liked that

I have been many years in India, but now I stay in Holland again.
    I found my "home" in India, and took it home to Holland
    Now I feel at "home" wherever my home is