• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to experience Bliss

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Bliss in the realm of form (rupa jhana) is a dualistic scenario, seeking bliss in some form. Essentially it is not different from seeking bliss in substance or in another person.

But sachidanda is non dual.

Is it important ? Why ?

Is it necessary ? For what ?

It seems to matter to you a lot.
If you have experienced Sat Chit Ananda then you don't have these questions anymore

atanu

Premium Member
Is it important ? Why ?

Is it necessary ? For what ?

It seems to matter to you a lot.

My post was in response to another post that suggested that ananda could be an addiction. I simply clarified.

Even as it is important to know intellectually the difference between deep sleep and nibbana — that are both characterised by absence of craving— it is also important to know the difference between ‘anandamaya kosha’ and ‘sat chit ananda’.

I hope I am clear.:)

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
My post was in response to another post that suggested that ananda could be an addiction. I simply clarified.

Even as it is important to know intellectually the difference between deep sleep and nibbana — that are both characterised by absence of craving— it is also important to know the difference between ‘anandamaya kosha’ and ‘sat chit ananda’.

I hope I am clear.:)

Why is it important to know those things ?

stvdv

What's bliss?
"Neti neti" gives some perspective:
1) Not how you feel after 1 bottle Wodka
(Some drunk might disagree though)
2) Not how you feel after orgasm
3) Not the Rolling Stoned feeling

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
"Neti neti" gives some perspective:
1) Not how you feel after 1 bottle Wodka
(Some drunk might disagree though)
2) Not how you feel after orgasm
3) Not the Rolling Stoned feeling

The thing is that it's a subjective term. It's also progressive. A person can feel 'bliss' then later in life feel 'bliss' and realise that the first experience wasn't bliss at all ... and so on. So just when is the real bliss? Savikalpa samadhi, and nirvikalpa samadhi are different, and described differently.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
@stvdv
"Everything can be sādhanā. The way you eat, the way you sit, the way you stand, the way you breathe, the way you conduct your body, mind and your energies and emotions – this is sādhanā. Sādhanā does not mean any specific kind of activity, sādhanā means you are using everything as a tool for your wellbeing."

Yes, that is it. :) It takes a lot of practice and patience with yourself but once it is experienced there is no going back to chaos and restlessness. There will always be events which can throw off our zen for a while, but to be able to recognize and accept that and resume this state of being is a great tool anyone can learn with enough practice.

stvdv

So just when is the real bliss? Savikalpa samadhi, and nirvikalpa samadhi are different, and described differently.
True it's subjective. Sometimes I hear people describe sex as BLISS or alcohol or stoned.

Scriptures are clear that the above is not what Bliss is, as meant in the Scriptures

I just tried to raise the bar a tiny bit. I did not want to raise the bar into heaven (Samadhi). Those 2 Samadhi states are still not my reality. And I try not to fool myself that I am in that state. Rather stay humble. But Bliss is our reality, so I keep focussing on this reality.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
The thing is that it's a subjective term. It's also progressive. A person can feel 'bliss' then later in life feel 'bliss' and realise that the first experience wasn't bliss at all ... and so on. So just when is the real bliss? Savikalpa samadhi, and nirvikalpa samadhi are different, and described differently.

As Aleister Crowley said, words are given meaning when they are pigeon-holed retrospectively to our experience.

Those meanings can also become odious dogma, especially when they are pigeon-holed to someone else’s presumed experience.

From time to time I take a deep breath, drop my shoulders, relax my face...and just stop. Stop being someone in particular. It’s bliss.

stvdv

Yes, that is it. :) It takes a lot of practice and patience with yourself but once it is experienced there is no going back to chaos and restlessness
Exactly, after I experienced a glimpse of Bliss I can never deny my true reality, this incredible Bliss. Was Gurus Grace to have experienced this. Now I continue my way as good as I can. But even in "chaos" I remember my experiences.

stvdv

Those meanings can also become odious dogma, especially when they are pigeon-holed to someone else’s presumed experience.
True. Personal experience tops it all for me

From time to time I take a deep breath, drop my shoulders, relax my face...and just stop. Stop being someone in particular. It’s bliss.
I know this feeling. Gradually dropping all the "shoulds" I accumulated:). Major step.

stvdv

deep sleep and nibbana — that are both characterised by absence of craving
No way to get around that one:D

it is also important to know the difference between ‘anandamaya kosha’ and ‘sat chit ananda’.
Sai Baba always loved to tell, when 'smart guys' were around, about the Gopikas; though they had no spiritual knowledge, they had Love for Krishna/God. A sure shortcut He always assured.

Just when I thought "finally an easy way out" He continued saying "Yes, it's enough if you think 24/7 about God" (He did mention 2 other criteria; but this 1 was already plenty of homework:D). He was a Master destroying any illusion I had.

Last edited:

stvdv

Good point. I don't know.

Hence maybe the "neti neti" practice

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
True it's subjective. Sometimes I hear people describe sex as BLISS or alcohol or stoned.

Scriptures are clear that the above is not what Bliss is, as meant in the Scriptures

I just tried to raise the bar a tiny bit. I did not want to raise the bar into heaven (Samadhi). Those 2 Samadhi states are still not my reality. And I try not to fool myself that I am in that state. Rather stay humble. But Bliss is our reality, so I keep focussing on this reality.

I see tears of bhakti a lot at the temple, but who knows what that indicates. For many it's just a heartfelt thanks for having such a place in a foreign country, like if a friend just gave you 10 000 to help pay for something.

Last edited:

stvdv

Then, even some masters like Ramana would describe that state as beyond bliss. So perhaps true bliss is nonexistent.
Ramana was a very Great Master, so I trust His words. He knows.

So to get beyond Bliss, it seems to me you go through Bliss.

I just continue, and one day I might know

Last edited:

stvdv

I see tears of bhakti a lot at the temple, but who knows what that indicates. For many it's just a heartfelt thanks for having such a place in a foreign country, like if a friend just gave you 10 000 to help pay for something.
And true, it is not all what it seems or what people pretend. Hence, all I need is just my own experiences.