• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Bigbang effected your Beliefs?

After knowing about bigbang and evolution:

• I realized I can no longer be sure there is a God

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I realized, my belief about existence of God was false

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It had some minor effect on my beliefs (please explain)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • It had no effect whatsoever, as I don't believe in bigbang and evolution

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • It had no effect on my beliefs in God and Religion for other reasons (please explain)

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters

InvestigateTruth

I remember when I was a teenager, some thirty years ago, the Big bang theory was not known to many people, including myself. As a teenager I thought this world obviously must have been created by God, as it is too big and complex to exist without a creator.

Off course, now, that science expains it through Big bang theory and evolution, I don't have same reasoning that it is too big and complex to be without a God, as science explains it how it did happen.

Now, I am curious how many of you, that used to believe in God, due to the complexity of this world, no longer believes in God, after you become more informed about Bigbang and evolution.

We Never Know

No Slack
I remember when I was a teenager, some thirty years ago, the Big bang theory was not known to many people, including myself. As a teenager I thought this world obviously must have been created by God, as it is too big and complex to exist without a creator.

Off course, now, that science expains it through Big bang theory and evolution, I don't have same reasoning that it is too big and complex to be without a God, as science explains it how it did happen.

Now, I am curious how many of you, that used to believe in God, due to the complexity of this world, no longer believes in God, after you become more informed about Bigbang and evolution.

What exactly is the current model of the BBT?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
None of the answers to the poll fit. Creation manifested as science has been uncovering. God is why. Science is how.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I was never affected by the Big Bang as the idea that God created the world and man in any completed form from scratch never seemed right to me. The universe already seemed too big and complicated for that kind of thinking.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The first time I heard about BBT my mind imagined a massive lump of material that exploded and expanded creating what we know as the universe. In my mind it kept expanding until it reached a point where it began to contract and eventually returned to the giant lump of material which would then explode again in a never ending cycle. Then I eventually found out my understanding was completely wrong and what happened is beyond my ability to comprehend. So something I misunderstood and can't understand has no effect on my religious or lack of religious beliefs.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well, Hoyle's Steady State theory was around as well when I was growing up, and neither this or the Big Bang theory seem to have influenced me much as to such beliefs. It didn't seem then that confident answers would be forthcoming, even if we no doubt have made lots of progress as to cosmology (age of our universe and getting closer and closer in time to the origins of any BB and what might have occurred) and how galaxies and stars are formed, together of course as to the number of planets in existence. The same goes for the likelihood of the multiverse existing perhaps. These are not subjects that I could get into with enough understanding to help me much in making any belief be appropriate - hence why I am agnostic as to such things. My irreligious stance just comes from other areas of knowledge - as to what people are likely to believe, what might be possible (along with suitable explanations as to such), and the many areas of science that help in making such decisions.

And evolution is rather separate, and to me, seemingly the best available explanation as to how life on Earth has evolved to be as it is.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

I'm unclear why you think the Big Bang should have a negative effect on religious belief. If anything, it is suggestive of there having been an actual, historical creation event. In fact it was first put forward, to explain the cosmological observations, by a Catholic priest (Mgr. Georges Lemaître) and the Catholic church had to be very careful not to claim, overenthusiastically, that it was hard evidence of a creator.

Evolution is another issue. The churches have had over 150 years to get their heads round that, just as they have with the geological age of the earth. Neither poses any problems for mainstream Christianity or Judaism, because neither treats the Genesis creation stories as literal, historical accounts - and indeed have not done so for centuries. Children in the developed world learn about dinosaurs etc at about 8 years old. Evolution does not come as a sudden surprise.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
OK, but how about your religious beliefs? Did knowledge of bigbang had any effect on it?

When I was growing up, there was still a bit of a controversy between a big bang and Fred Hoyle's believe in continuous creation. As an atheist at that time, either explanation convinced me that Genesis could not be literally true. In the mid-60's when the evidence for the big bang became overwhelming, I was still an atheist so it did not affect my view at all.

When Divinity came into my life, it did not affect my view of the big bang or the reverse. My focus was elsewhere.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
how many of you, that used to believe in God, due to the complexity of this world, no longer believes in God, after you become more informed about Bigbang and evolution.

The Big Bang theory had no effect on my rejection of theism and religion, just where I ended up when I did - atheistic humanism.

Along with evolution to partially account for the tree of life (it accounts for the tree part, not the life part), nineteenth and twentieth century science including the Big bang theory made atheism tenable. The science before then showed how the universe operated without a ruler god, but this only facilitated the eighteenth century's rise of deism, not atheism, as there was still no answer for how any of this got here. We still needed a builder god. This second wave, which included the Big Bang theory, excused even the deist god. So, when I left Christianity, it was for humanism rather than deism or another religion.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not much of an effect at all. The demand to know why or how the universe began is just a defense mechanism that believers use. Even if we know how the universe began to a T that does not necessarily refute a god. God beliefs should be based on rational reasoning and evidence. And Big Bang or no Big Bang there does not appear to be a rational reason to believe in a god.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suppose it pushed Genesis into the category of being a myth.
Not necessarily that there was or wasn't a God.
Just that ancient people created a narrative that made sense to them at the time based on life as they understood it.

So if there is a God, there is no longer a reason to see the Bible as an authoritative resource about God.
God is an expression of an individual's belief about reality.
That belief may or may not have anything to do with actuality.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I voted i can no longer be sure there is a God and would have also voted it changed my beliefs about God.

The reason why is because the God belief i was indoctrinated with was an All-knowing, omnipotent, All merciful creator type God.

I dont see how a sound understanding of the blind cruelty of evolution is compatible with that particular God type.

Also since material things seem to assemble under their own properties rather than waiting around idly for God to command them I could no longer see evidence of a creator of the material realm.

In my opinion.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

The BBT didn't cause me to stop believing in God or religion generally. It did end my believe in Young Earth Creationism (along with the evidence for old universe, evolution, etc.).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Even when i believed in god i believed in the bb and evolution to. It's what was taught at school. The genesis account was faith school was education