• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Sin Become a Joke?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Consider:
1 Corinthians 6:18 (KJ21)
Flee fornication. Every other sin which a man doeth is outside the body, but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Then consider

sex.png

So, almost 9 out of every 10 people, 87%, say they would have sex before marriage even though it's a sin.

And considering that
"Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians.
source
it appears that a very large percentage of Christians don't care what the Bible says about sex and don't care what god thinks of their behavior. (I'm quite certain that even if they never read 1 Corinthians 6:18 they're still aware that premarital sex is a sin.)

So what's going on? What's your take on the situation?

Christians are a group who's common denominator is that we admit we are all total moral failures and in need of a savior. Of course Christians should stay away from sin and just as certainly we all fail to do so in different degrees from person to person.

If God has said we are all moral failures who are you to demand perfection?

New International Version
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

New International Version
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst.

I agree that it is disappointing to see Christians fail to meet their own moral goals, but if your looking for perfection look no further than Christ. It is by HIS virtue a sinful Christian has unity with God not our own moral righteousness. This is why Christianity is so unique. All other faiths are man's pathetic attempts to reach God by virtue of their own human own merit, Christianity is God reaching down to man based on his merit. In Christians good works do not produce salvation, but salvation should produce good works. Though we fail at times Christianity possesses more of histories most honorable people and acts than any similar group. The questions you ask emphatically show that you only have a surface level understanding of the bible and do not grasp the harmony of the core doctrines it contains which is probably the most common barrier between non-theists and faith. You literally don't understand what your supposed to have faith in.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

It seems to me that there is a considerable, largely self-inflicted degree of confusion happening inside Christianity.

Belief is far too often presumed or demanded, and as a result many Christians are sincerely confused. Their social protocols do not respect their actual stances and they end up develop a lot of hypocrisy and fear that they could probably do without.

I even wonder how many Christians actually see a difference between something being a sin or instead being perceived as deplorable by their community. It may easily lead to a lessened perception of morality.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Consider:
Flee fornication. Every other sin which a man doeth is outside the body, but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Then consider

sex.png

So, almost 9 out of every 10 people, 87%, say they would have sex before marriage even though it's a sin.

And considering that
source
it appears that a very large percentage of Christians don't care what the Bible says about sex and don't care what god thinks of their behavior. (I'm quite certain that even if they never read 1 Corinthians 6:18 they're still aware that premarital sex is a sin.)

Strange that sin is so infrequently discussed outside of sexual sin.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Your mistake is to assume that the pendulum will only continue swing one way. There's no reason to assume that the current course of things will always remain so. The Roman Empire was decadent, and the tides of history swept it away. Do you think that the same can't happen for the current powers that be? I actually put my bets on a more religious future, even more so if and when (God forbid) the bombs start falling.
I never made any such mistake or assumption. Concocting groundless premises so as to make a point isn't interesting.

Ashley Mathura

Consider:

Then consider

sex.png

And considering that
source

Mhmm...you could be onto something here...Personally I think your question goes beyond just sex.

pearl

it's not a laundry list to check off and do no more

And probably there is no Christian more scrupulously checking off a list than older Catholics. What many forget is the sin of omission, there is more to do. In the Confiteor at the beginning of the Liturgy we confess 'and in what we have failed to do'.
I think God judges on who one has become at the moment of death.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think people are starting to realize it is an outdated idea and have started thinking for themselves. To call something 'sin' is to say you disapprove of it. Well, sex is something people tend to approve of.
I agree. For many people sin has become passé.

The current trend underscores how our sin nature--the propensity to sin that is more important than any individual sin--causes us to harm ourselves and others. All the "try before you buy" concepts of cohabitation and sex are wrong. People who have premarital sex reap a lifetime of varying pains and guilt.
This is an incredible claim, so let's see the evidence you're basing it on.

if sin has become a joke.....is the devil laughing his tail off?

or could he be upset?..... as no one takes him seriously any more
I'll opt for the second.

First, not many Christians read their own bible much. Instead they go to church and get told about it.
Just to be clear, I said "I'm quite certain that even if they never read 1 Corinthians 6:18 they're still aware that premarital sex is a sin." So in this case reading the Bible isn't important.

Second, that's only grumpy old Paul who tries hard to be nice about sex but doesn't really believe in or approve of it.
In looking at the text of the Bible I don't regard it as a creation of the mind who wrote it, but as the words of god. Whether literally or inspired, it's what he wanted to be said.

People drive 62 mph in a 55 mph zone because they figure they can get away with it, not because they deny breaking the law.
In the case I've presented, it looks like the people simply find the "law" to be toothless and meaningless. Go ahead, make up a law against eating prunes on Friday. I don't care.

I agree that it is disappointing to see Christians fail to meet their own moral goals, but if your looking for perfection look no further than Christ.
But that's just the thing. For many it appears their goals no longer include abiding by the moral dictates of god. They no longer have such moral goals.

I even wonder how many Christians actually see a difference between something being a sin or instead being perceived as deplorable by their community. It may easily lead to a lessened perception of morality.
I agree. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone say that action X was bad because it was a sin. I believe our present morality has evolved away from the need for the fear of the "wages of sin." An action is bad not because its a sin, but because it hurts others. And if an action doesn't hurt anyone then it isn't bad, and certainly not a sin. (I wrote this off the top of my head so if their are any contingencies to what I've said and didn't include it's only because I didn't bother to completely think through the issue. :p )

Strange that sin is so infrequently discussed outside of sexual sin.
Hey, Sex Sells. Besides, as I recently pointed out in another thread, sexual behavior is extremely important to god.

Mhmm...you could be onto something here...Personally I think your question goes beyond just sex.
Absolutely. Sin is no longer the big bugaboo it once was. It's almost like: "That's a sin? Really? Who cares."

David1967

Premium Member

Of course they are aware that its a sin, but the natural desire for sex outweighs personal conviction for the vast majority. Sex , next to food is the strongest desire we have.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Of course they are aware that its a sin, but the natural desire for sex outweighs personal conviction for the vast majority.
But I don't believe they have any such "personal conviction." While they probably know the Bible condemns premarital sex as sinful, they don't care. The Bible's condemnation is inconsequential, just as inconsequential as god's directive on slavery: "Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven." (Colossians 4:1) Or, how about looking at a woman with desire that's akin to adultery: "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28) Think many people stop themselves and think, "whoa I just about committed adultery with that babe on the TV. Where's the cold water."

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Consider:

Then consider

sex.png

And considering that
source

I think it's a perfect example of how Christians tend pick and choose what parts of the Bible they will take seriously and which parts they can conveniently ignore.

QuestioningMind

The current trend underscores how our sin nature--the propensity to sin that is more important than any individual sin--causes us to harm ourselves and others. All the "try before you buy" concepts of cohabitation and sex are wrong. People who have premarital sex reap a lifetime of varying pains and guilt.

What a silly claim. The only people who reap a lifetime of pain and guilt for having premarital sex are the poor folks who were brainwashed by controlling authority figures into believing that having unmarried sex is sinful.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
It's certainly important to have integrity no matter where it lies.
If you lose your integrity you have difficulty getting it back and that makes life harder on you because you waffle on everything.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The current trend underscores how our sin nature--the propensity to sin that is more important than any individual sin--causes us to harm ourselves and others.
You may have this "sin nature," but not all of us do. We appreciate it if you don't try to degrade us all with your own belief that we all carry these shackles of shame and guilt.
All the "try before you buy" concepts of cohabitation and sex are wrong. People who have premarital sex reap a lifetime of varying pains and guilt.
I had no problems with cohabitation, and have not had any pains and guilt from having premarital sex. If anything, it helped me learn more of myself so that I won't inadvertently bring pains and guilt to a significant other because I just didn't know myself well enough.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

Consider:

Then consider

And considering that
source

What is going is - that globally society has become somewhat isotropic. There is a world culture to some degree; except perhaps in some Muslim countries where the goings and comings of women is highly controlled.

Many who do what they can to be Christian may then as young have sex with the person they fell in love with, and thereafter go and have their wedding. Since they had sex and remained in their original partnership consummated by marrying - whether civil or church marriage - this should satisfy God since they are not going around and having sex with anyone they meet up with that looks good.

Unfortunately, Christians divorce for no good scriptural reasons many times, and since you asked if sin has become a joke, the question is whether God keeps tracks of their sins. The answer is that all of our sins are tallied, every word, every act.