• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Sin Become a Joke?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Consider:

1 Corinthians 6:18 (KJ21)
Flee fornication. Every other sin which a man doeth is outside the body, but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Then consider

sex.png

So, almost 9 out of every 10 people, 87%, say they would have sex before marriage even though it's a sin.

And considering that

"Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians.
source
it appears that a very large percentage of Christians don't care what the Bible says about sex and don't care what god thinks of their behavior. (I'm quite certain that even if they never read 1 Corinthians 6:18 they're still aware that premarital sex is a sin.)

So what's going on? What's your take on the situation?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Dunno. For me, personally, as I am not a sinner and such a label does not apply to me nor shackle me to ancient dogma, sin is nothing.
As for Christians, even historically, I think the only sins they have ever been concerned about are the ones their human authority figures tell them to worry about (why apostasy and witchcraft were big issues centuries ago, but LBGT issues are their "foam at the mouth" issues today).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We just had yet another anti-abortion (republican) politician advise his mistress to get an abortion. So, from that perspective, some treat what they proclaim as sin as not applying to themselves. That to me is worse than a joke and is a sin.

There's another perspective, from a rendering of Hafiz in "I Heard God Laughing"

If someone sits with me
And we talk about the Beloved

If I cannot give his heart comfort,
If I cannot make him feel better
About himself and this world,

Then Hafiz,
Quickly run to the mosque and pray—

For you have just committed
The only sin I know.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Sin, in a Heathen concept, is any action that breaks frith - frith being the sense of security and fellowship found within a community. Actions like theft, murder, rape, etc. Things that drive one from a community. So in that sense no, sin is far from a joke; those actions are still seen as very much in the wrong.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
than what is the Christian judgment on all people?

I think it's believe in jesus, or face eternal hell .

now that is a blind judgment on all of mankind. it overlooks the possible good potential of humanity and all the quality things many regular people do to make society work out.

sin says that humans are incapable of doing good, and that they have no heart for what matters.

So yeah, its not good to be a christian like that. that is the kind of Christianity I was exposed to all my life.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
You did not limit the thread to Christians in the OP just quoted the Bible.
We may have got our signals crossed here. Everyone is welcome to post, Christians, Shintos, atheists, and old grandmothers. My reference to how sin is regarded by Christians, only means; as it appears in the Christian context.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's simple, most Christians in the west are nominal and as such their Christianity will only have a marginal influence on their general day to day conduct.
I believe you're absolutely right. :thumbsup:

Looking into it a bit. . .

decline-church-attendance.png

Seems people just aren't caring about Christianity that much any more. In consequence, sin has lost its sting and is pretty much ignored. Orrrr,. . . . . maybe it's the other way around: Sin has lost its sting and is pretty much ignored so Christianity is beginning to loose its relevance. Hmmmmm. The chicken or the egg revisited.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Seems people just aren't caring about Christianity that much any more. In consequence, sin has lost its sting and is pretty much ignored. Orrrr,. . . . . maybe it's the other way around: Sin has lost its sting and is pretty much ignored so Christianity is beginning to loose its relevance. Hmmmmm. The chicken or the egg revisited.

There is a reason why "few" will be saved when Jesus comes as judge. (Matthew 7:13-14) Listen to his words as he tells "many" who call themselves "Christians" why they have failed to qualify as his true followers.....

"Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’"

If you identify as "Christian" and yet fail to obey the Christ, you are fooling yourself, not him. You can do all the performances you like, but it won't help if you are disobedient. When Jesus says "I never knew you!" he really means it. They will be stunned at his rejection because they imagine that claiming Jesus as their "Lord" counts for something.....but it counts for nothing. They have to be "doing the will of the Father"...not pleasing themselves what rules they will obey and which ones they will ignore.

He calls them "workers of lawlessness" because they are breaking God's laws....his moral laws and others.

Gambrinus

accumulative error
When I was young and went to church I was told that I could be forgiven for my sins if I asked to be saved, which I thought was a joke because I could commit sins all week and then on Sunday I could repent and get saved again.
I instead stopped going to church and try to have good morals.
I wonder if sins were created by a lawyer, because tithing seems to be important in a church.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
When people are secure and comfortable they typically become irreligious. We live in a decadent, dying culture. That religion is declining and most who still identity as Christian are habitual fornicators is no surprise.

Your mistake is to assume that the pendulum will only continue swing one way. There's no reason to assume that the current course of things will always remain so. The Roman Empire was decadent, and the tides of history swept it away. Do you think that the same can't happen for the current powers that be? I actually put my bets on a more religious future, even more so if and when (God forbid) the bombs start falling.

We live in one particular moment of history, but the Church no matter how small it may become will remain. Matthew 16:18

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
When I was young and went to church I was told that I could be forgiven for my sins if I asked to be saved, which I thought was a joke because I could commit sins all week and then on Sunday I could repent and get saved again.

I am guessing that you never found the difference between what Jesus taught and what the church did. They are not the same.
No repentance, means no forgiveness. If you keep practicing sin, then you never repented in the first place. Pretty dumb to imagine that God can't read your mind or your motives.
14k8gag.gif

I instead stopped going to church and try to have good morals.
I wonder if sins were created by a lawyer, because tithing seems to be important in a church.

Since tithing was a Jewish requirement, Christians did not have to tithe. Their contributions were entirely voluntary.
Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 2:7....
"Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly* or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Here in the UK churches are being sold off because most people only attend for funerals weddings and christenings so the Sunday morning sermon preaching about sin is defunct.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Consider:
1 Corinthians 6:18 (KJ21)
Flee fornication. Every other sin which a man doeth is outside the body, but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Then consider

sex.png

So, almost 9 out of every 10 people, 87%, say they would have sex before marriage even though it's a sin.

And considering that
"Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians.
source
it appears that a very large percentage of Christians don't care what the Bible says about sex and don't care what god thinks of their behavior. (I'm quite certain that even if they never read 1 Corinthians 6:18 they're still aware that premarital sex is a sin.)

So what's going on? What's your take on the situation?

I think people are starting to realize it is an outdated idea and have started thinking for themselves. To call something 'sin' is to say you disapprove of it. Well, sex is something people tend to approve of.

Gambrinus

accumulative error
I am guessing that you never found the difference between what Jesus taught and what the church did. They are not the same.
No repentance, means no forgiveness. If you keep practicing sin, then you never repented in the first place. Pretty dumb to imagine that God can't read your mind or your motives.
14k8gag.gif

Since tithing was a Jewish requirement, Christians did not have to tithe. Their contributions were entirely voluntary.
Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 2:7....
"Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly* or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."
Does the New Testament require a tithe? No, it does not mention tithing by name, except for Jesus correcting the Jews abuse of tithing (Matt 23:23; Luke 11:42) and Paul's historical description of Abraham giving Melchisedec a tithe (Heb 7:1-4). But there are many useful and godly principles of the Old Testament that are not repeated specifically in the New Testament.