• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Sin Become a Joke?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I find some truth a quote from this comic.

"An innocent man took the bullet so we could live horrible lives, apologize at the end, and get in for free." - Daniel Tosh

pearl

it appears that a very large percentage of Christians don't care what the Bible says about sex and don't care what god thinks of their behavior.

The focus is on commitment to relationship, symbolized by marriage. Two people may be committed faithfully to each other without a legal paper stating so. It may be considered sin in the practice of religion, but is that equivalent to real guilt before God to who alone belongs judgment? In the Catholic church marriage is a sacrament of commitment as is Holy Orders. The couple administer the sacrament to each other with the priest as witness. The marriage license satisfies the civil requirement.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Consider:
1 Corinthians 6:18 (KJ21)
Flee fornication. Every other sin which a man doeth is outside the body, but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Then consider

sex.png

So, almost 9 out of every 10 people, 87%, say they would have sex before marriage even though it's a sin.

And considering that
"Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians.
source
it appears that a very large percentage of Christians don't care what the Bible says about sex and don't care what god thinks of their behavior. (I'm quite certain that even if they never read 1 Corinthians 6:18 they're still aware that premarital sex is a sin.)

So what's going on? What's your take on the situation?

The current trend underscores how our sin nature--the propensity to sin that is more important than any individual sin--causes us to harm ourselves and others. All the "try before you buy" concepts of cohabitation and sex are wrong. People who have premarital sex reap a lifetime of varying pains and guilt.

DavidFirth

Yes, Christians sin, Skwim. Not one of us is perfect. And many of those "Christians" polled have varying definitions of the word, "Christian."

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if sin has become a joke.....is the devil laughing his tail off?

or could he be upset?..... as no one takes him seriously any more

Thief

Rogue Theologian
seriously.....if we can be forgiven any transgression......

how then to take our failings ......seriously

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What do you mean?
forgiveness wipes the slate

if you are sure this will be for you......
then your transgressions do not hold your mind

I think there is more to it than a promise of forgiveness

otherwise.....everyone and his cousin are going to toss that trump card at the Gate

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
it appears that a very large percentage of Christians don't care what the Bible says about sex and don't care what god thinks of their behavior..
First, not many Christians read their own bible much. Instead they go to church and get told about it.

Second, that's only grumpy old Paul who tries hard to be nice about sex but doesn't really believe in or approve of it.

Third, those Christians who indeed read their bibles may have come across Mark 12, where Jesus informs us that "25 when they rise from the dead they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like angels in heaven" ─ which is to say, ain't no postmortal bonking, folks. Which suggests that (given how excruciatingly long eternity is) here and now is the time and place for getting on with it and storing up enough happy memories.

DavidFirth

forgiveness wipes the slate

if you are sure this will be for you......
then your transgressions do not hold your mind

I think there is more to it than a promise of forgiveness

otherwise.....everyone and his cousin are going to toss that trump card at the Gate

Well, it isn't that simple. We are encouraged by the Apostles not to sin because of the fact that Jesus was willing to die for our sin on the cross. We are made aware that since God loved us that much we ought not to sin considering the fact that God's Son had to die a horrible death to get rid of our sin. Also, we are encouraged to love God because He first loved us while we were sinners.

God knows who is and who is not realistic. Just asking God to forgive your sins without faith in Christ and sincere repentance will not result in forgiveness. There must be genuine faith, repentance and sorrow for having sinned. There is joy in being forgiven but sorrow in the repentance process.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well, it isn't that simple. We are encouraged by the Apostles not to sin because of the fact that Jesus was willing to die for our sin on the cross. We are made aware that since God loved us that much we ought not to sin considering the fact that God's Son had to die a horrible death to get rid of our sin. Also, we are encouraged to love God because He first loved us while we were sinners.

God knows who is and who is not realistic. Just asking God to forgive your sins without faith in Christ and sincere repentance will not result in forgiveness. There must be genuine faith, repentance and sorrow for having sinned. There is joy in being forgiven but sorrow in the repentance process.
I think it goes deeper than that.....

it's not a laundry list to check off and do no more

sin is that which separates you from God's Presence

some claim God is in their life
many expect to go to heaven

I suspect judgement runs far reaching than a list of fails

I suspect it looks to the very core of your mind and heart
that part of you that goes 'bump' in the night

DavidFirth

I think it goes deeper than that.....

it's not a laundry list to check off and do no more

sin is that which separates you from God's Presence

some claim God is in their life
many expect to go to heaven

I suspect judgement runs far reaching than a list of fails

I suspect it looks to the very core of your mind and heart
that part of you that goes 'bump' in the night

I think you're right. God judges the heart of a man.