• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The point of the thread is pretty clear to me.

"Here's my evidence."
"That's not evidence."
"Yes it is, you're just too arrogant, imperceptive, closed-minded, and stubborn to accept it."
"No, it isn't, you're being ridiculous."

I'd rewrite that as this, at least for my part

"The message and the life of the messenger are evidence of God"
"No, they are not. They're ordinary words and an ordinary life. To be evidence of a God they would need to transcend human capability at a minimum."
"You need to investigate further."
"Investigate what? More of this vague, flowery language? I've seen enough in what has been reproduced here in this thread."
"You need to investigate further. I know you won't."
"Correct. I have no reason to read more of that, and you can't give me one."

Where you see failure on the part of theists to provide evidence of God, the theist sees a failure of perception on your part.

So how do we resolve the matter of whether one group is seeing something not there or the other not seeing something that is? There actually is a good test. Quiz the seers independently and see how well their reports correlate. If most or all give the same report, then they are probably seeing something real. Imagine a color-blind kid who can't tell red from green wondering whether he is being pranked by others the way they conspired about the Santa Claus thing. So, he buys five pair of red socks and five pair of green, has somebody identify which is which for him, he tags them, and has his friends independently identify the color of each. Then he compares their answers. If they give the same report, he knows they see something he doesn't. If they can't agree, he knows that the opposite is the case. The discordant reports of believers are evidence that they see their own minds.

the assumption that our beliefs are without foundation, and without reason, is erroneous and rather patronising.

Assumption? There is no sound argument - evidenced or pure reason - that ends, "therefore God," thus that position can only be believed by faith. That is the criterion for belief for a critical thinker - sound conclusion - and thus whoever says that there is a God lacks foundation for that belief by that criterion even if he believes that he is on firm footing according to some other criterion for justified belief.

“I don’t believe in God”, and “I believe there is no God” are symmetrical statements.

Did you mean synonymous? They are not synonymous to me. The first is the position of all atheists including agnostic atheists, the majority, and the second only of the so-called strong (gnostic) atheist.

Anybody who sincerely seeks truth will find it.

I disagree, but I suspect that we have different definitions of truth. For me, a statement is true only if it is demonstrably correct. For the faith-based believer, it seems truth is whatever he fervently believes. If it feels right, it's true.

What is the reason why a person would rather have a relationship outside of marriage?

Two. Maybe they don't want to be married. And maybe they want to know if they are sexually compatible before marrying. There is no rational reason not to have extramarital sex. Religious dicta to the contrary are not a good reason to do anything.

A believer knows that it is "trouble" .. fights in pubs over women, and broken glasses in people's faces. Pfft !

In response to the comment I just addressed, another poster answered, "Because there is no good reason not to [engage in extramarital sex] if reasonable precautions are taken," and your answer was that?

I believe that it was from God, you believe it was human. Neither one of us can prove what we believe so why argue about it?

The thread is about what constitutes evidence for a god. It's not about proving our beliefs. For the critical thinker, it's about justifying them. When believers claim that they have such evidence, it is appropriate for the critical thinker to explain why it doesn't justify their conclusion. It is appropriate to show that you do not have evidence for your beliefs according to those standards for belief. The believers find themselves in a world that respects reason trying to show that they have that in support of their beliefs just as they try to show that science supports them when it does not, either.

Baha’u’llah was either a Messenger of God or He was a lying con-man or He was deluded. NOTHING that Baha’u’llah did in His life and on His 40 year mission fits with Him being a con-man or a delusional man, so that is why, by the process of elimination, I believe He was a Messenger of God.

Is deluded synonymous with mistaken but sincere to you? If so, he was deluded by your definition. If not, you left out a possibility, a very likely one, leaving you two options - the one you chose, or simply mistaken.

I have looked at ALL the evidence and there is too much evidence that indicates that He was exactly who He claimed to be.

But your method of evaluating evidence is flawed. Just because you looked at evidence and hold an opinion of what it signifies does not mean you are correct. You'd need a sound argument to justify that conclusion, not just a fervent belief, however strong it might be, however certain you are. What's your argument that connects that life and those words to your conclusion that they indicate a god? You have none. It's just gut feeling for you. Do you know what is required to connect the evidence you offer to the conclusion you claim it supports? I've told you a few times.

Mismatched sexual desire is not one of the main reasons that marriages fail.

The Top Five Reasons People Divorce
  • INCOMPATIBILITY/ TOO MUCH CONFLICT. Opposites attract. ...
  • LACK OF COMMITMENT. Marriage is work. ...
  • BAD COMMUNICATION. All relationships thrive on communication, be it romantic, or platonic. ...
  • INFIDELITY/ EXTRAMARITAL AFFAIRS. ...
  • FINANCIAL PROBLEMS.

What does incompatibility mean to you? Just arguing? I told you why I got divorced. I married a Christian woman that I had not lived with or had sex with before marriage. Then I found out we were incompatible in several ways including sexually. Those were the days when I made decisions like who to marry based in faith. So, I eventually left the religion and the marriage, remarried after living together first, and have been happily married 32 years now. The lesson couldn't be clearer to me.

The message is that we know that Baha'u'llah was who He claimed to be because of the evidence that supports His claims.

There is no objective evidence for God, and any logical person would understand why.

You don't think those last two comments contradict one another? Incidentally, I'll bet that you have eliminated the likeliest reason for there being no evidence of God without cause.

if evidence for God was easily seen or experienced everyone would choose to believe.

And you don't see that as an argument against the existence of a tri-omni deity that wants to be known, loved, believed, obeyed, and worshiped? It is. It's not evidence against a noninterventionist god, or a limited god who might not be able to manifest, but it's pretty strong evidence that the deity described in the Chrisitan Bible doesn't exist.

you don't have enough spiritual awareness to recognize the Word of God

Spiritual awareness, huh? What's that? The willingness to believe that prose comes from a deity because it is flowery and hortative? I'd say that you don't have enough critical thinking skill to recognize that those are words men could have written.

the frist criterion is the person of Baha'u'llah anyway

And what did he do to convince you he channeled God? Did he turn water into wine or rise from the dead? Somebody else commented that he was honest and trustworthy.

In short, it would take a lot of work by you to establish the truth, and I don't expect you to put in that work.

Why should he? Reading more from your sources won't make a difference. And as I said to another poster, I'm pretty sure that what you are calling truth here wouldn't meet an empiricist's criteria for using that word.

F1fan

Veteran Member
There's also one additional subject that would need addressed to convince some of the posters here. It's:

Is there even a God at all?
And I have brought this up every time a believer cites their God as if it exists.
When we read a post that says something like "God wants you to follow these rules" it is this mortal acting as if they are God themselves, and want control over us. This is what abusive people do. Why are they abusive? Because they lack self-esteem.

It is apparent that no believer can present a case that any of their versions of Gods exist outside of their imagination. At best believers can only argue for why their beliefs are likely valid (still a longshot), or at least have a utility for human beings. The God problem is a huge problem, as God existing is the major dillmma they face. This is one reason why they form statements that imply their God exists, and hope to smuggle that assumption past critics.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
This OP was only to determine what is valid evidence.
And you Baha'i have presented the very best that you have, and it is inadequate for reasons stated. You have nothing better than what you have already presented, so what can we critics do but be unconvinced?

You either need to find more evidence, or admit that you have failed to present compelling evidence.

Not to provide proofs from the evidence, though at times to confirm evidence, some proofs need to be stated.
What are you going to confirm, that texts are texts? That Baha'u'llah was a mortal? That he claimed to communicate with a God? We know all this. What we don;t know if there is actually a God, or that is actually communicated with Baha'u'llah. The default is that no God exists, and that he invented the texts himself. That is the most likely explanation. Now convince us this model is wrong.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The asteroid hit a sulphur deposit in Yucatan. Otherwise the Cretaceous world would have survived, sort of.
So the asteroid needed to hit at the:
exact angle
exact spot (ie time of day)
exact season (spring, vulnerability)
So when a child is hit and killed by a car the car had to be coming down the road at the right time and right speed and right spot, the child had to be running at the right time and right speed and at the right spot, so by your thinking all car accidents are caused by a fine tuned universe.

As a competitve cyclist I have been hit by cars four times in the last decade, each time I was i was following the rules and the drivers made mistakes, and I have had many close calls, so the four times that time, place, and speeds was all planned out by the universe (God)?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There are several problems with the fine tuning argument. It is based on the values of various constants of the universe. The first and biggest problem is that they assume that hose values could be different. We do not know that. We don't know if they could be different or not and it is an error to assume that they can vary. There are even examples of constants of the universe being solved.

Another problem is that they assume that life would be impossible if those constants could be changed. We don't know this. Perhaps human life could be impossible, but we do not know enough to say that all life would be impossible.
I often think that there's another problem with the fine tuning argument. Consider a piece of paper, 8 1/2 by 11 inches. Make a haphazard, jagged cut from one edge to the other, or from one end to the other, or in any other direction you please. No matter how haphazard that cut is, the two pieces have an indubitable relationship to one another -- they still fit together very neatly. Now, do the same thing with another piece of paper, a different haphazard cut. Those two pieces are also related to one another, but the two pieces from your first sheet have no relationship to those from your second.

What I'm trying to suggest is that it may just be possible that as subatomic particles (and then larger particles) are formed out of the essential nothingness of quantum foam, there may well be many ways in which a reality could arise -- capable of sustaining radically different physical and chemical properties: possibly even forms that could be thought of as living that in our own reality would be impossible.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There are several problems with the fine tuning argument. It is based on the values of various constants of the universe. The first and biggest problem is that they assume that hose values could be different. We do not know that. We don't know if they could be different or not and it is an error to assume that they can vary. There are even examples of constants of the universe being solved.

Another problem is that they assume that life would be impossible if those constants could be changed. We don't know this. Perhaps human life could be impossible, but we do not know enough to say that all life would be impossible.
Isn’t it also a big issue because: of course the planet we live on just so happens to have a series of great “coincidences” that allow life to exist; life is complicated and requires complicated nature to cause it. But also, if life did not exist here we would not be discussing it.

Do you think The Lack of Martians ever think about how Mars is NOT fine tuned to support life? (Not asking you, just an argument against fine tuning)

We Never Know

No Slack
So when a child is hit and killed by a car the car had to be coming down the road at the right time and right speed and right spot, the child had to be running at the right time and right speed and at the right spot, so by your thinking all car accidents are caused by a fine tuned universe.

As a competitve cyclist I have been hit by cars four times in the last decade, each time I was i was following the rules and the drivers made mistakes, and I have had many close calls, so the four times that time, place, and speeds was all planned out by the universe (God)?

"So when a child is hit and killed by a car the car had to be coming down the road at the right time and right speed and right spot, the child had to be running at the right time and right speed and at the right spot"

Precisely. Change any of it and the kid more than likely wouldn't have been ran over. As far as a cause, you all hash that out.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I often think that there's another problem with the fine tuning argument. Consider a piece of paper, 8 1/2 by 11 inches. Make a haphazard, jagged cut from one edge to the other, or from one end to the other, or in any other direction you please. No matter how haphazard that cut is, the two pieces have an indubitable relationship to one another -- they still fit together very neatly. Now, do the same thing with another piece of paper, a different haphazard cut. Those two pieces are also related to one another, but the two pieces from your first sheet have no relationship to those from your second.

What I'm trying to suggest is that it may just be possible that as subatomic particles (and then larger particles) are formed out of the essential nothingness of quantum foam, there may well be many ways in which a reality could arise -- capable of sustaining radically different physical and chemical properties: possibly even forms that could be thought of as living that in our own reality would be impossible.
Yes, and that may be the case. The reason that physicists propose a multiverse is not due to science fiction, but because the concept it well supported by mathematics.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Isn’t it also a big issue because: of course the planet we live on just so happens to have a series of great “coincidences” that allow life to exist; life is complicated and requires complicated nature to cause it. But also, if life did not exist here we would not be discussing it.

Do you think The Lack of Martians ever think about how Mars is NOT fine tuned to support life? (Not asking you, just an argument against fine tuning)
The old "Goldilocks zone" argument was dropped a while back because creationists finally learned that the Goldilocks zone is much larger than they realized. At one time Mars was in the Goldilocks zone which is why signs of life are looked for on Mars. Not the science fiction Martians, rather single celled life. None has been found, but then we have only explored just the tiniest fraction of the surface of Mars.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You know this evidence of the Baha'is includes proving that Baha'u'llah is the return of Christ and is the Jewish Messiah. So, if the Baha'i claims are true, then Christians are just as bad off as everybody else if they reject the Baha'i prophet. Christ returned and Christians, for the most part, rejected him. Or the Baha'i prophet is not the return of Christ.
ok, so what do you think will happen to those who reject Baha'u'llah as coming from God?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The old "Goldilocks zone" argument was dropped a while back because creationists finally learned that the Goldilocks zone is much larger than they realized. At one time Mars was in the Goldilocks zone which is why signs of life are looked for on Mars. Not the science fiction Martians, rather single celled life. None has been found, but then we have only explored just the tiniest fraction of the surface of Mars.

Yes, well maybe there are enough minerals plus other things that will form like as in Miller-Urey and who knows, maybe tortoises will have locks of gold. Now THERE's a mathematical possibility as well as a good sci-fi story. And maybe -- some of dead residue can be blown up to reproduce whatever it came from, hmm?

InvestigateTruth

And you Baha'i have presented the very best that you have, and it is inadequate for reasons stated. You have nothing better than what you have already presented, so what can we critics do but be unconvinced?

You either need to find more evidence, or admit that you have failed to present compelling evidence.

What are you going to confirm, that texts are texts? That Baha'u'llah was a mortal? That he claimed to communicate with a God? We know all this. What we don;t know if there is actually a God, or that is actually communicated with Baha'u'llah. The default is that no God exists, and that he invented the texts himself. That is the most likely explanation. Now convince us this model is wrong.
As a Bahai, I offer that, Baha'u'llah did not have any education in religion, nor did He have any teachers, or books to study. Then the question would be, where did get His knowledge from to write over 100 volumes of Books? In our view, the knowledge must have come from Himself, from His own mind, a clear evidence of being Manifestation of God. That is knowing things without learning them from another source.
The Bahais investigated this, and came to this conclusion. I wouldn't be able to convince anyone else. Rather everyone is free to investigate and make their own conclusion. Hope that helps :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As a Bahai, I offer that, Baha'u'llah did not have any education in religion, nor did He have any teachers, or books to study. Then the question would be, where did get His knowledge from to write over 100 volumes of Books? In our view, the knowledge must have come from Himself, from His own mind, a clear evidence of being Manifestation of God. That is knowing things without learning them from another source.
The Bahais investigated this, and came to this conclusion. I wouldn't be able to convince anyone else. Rather everyone is free to investigate and make their own conclusion. Hope that helps :)
One hundred "books" is not all that impressive. Especially if they are all on the same subject and rehash a lot of material covered in other books. Also the term "books" can be very misleading. i have seen "books" of the Bible where one could write a hundred of them in a year. And what makes you think that he had no education? He was born to a rich family. Formal education may not have existed in its present form where he lived then. A rich family would hire their own teachers in the past. Odds are that his family did this.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
You probably will not accept my definition. That is why I ask others for theirs. Quite often they do not have one because they do not understand the term. I can define scientific evidence quite easily. But I have never seen believers in woo woo define what they mean by evidence.

One thing to remember is that evidence needs the ability to cut both ways. And that is why believers probably cannot define it. For them there is only belief. They cannot properly test what they believe in.

This made me think, and I came up with this. What is evidence?

Often, the police ask members of the public to call in with what they think are sightings of some wanted suspect. They get thousands of responses, most of which are quite useless, but a precious few actually lead to the apprehension of the wanted suspect. Let's say the police then take all the responses and put them in a box labelled "evidence".

What I'm asking is how we determine what is evidence and what is not. Before the police start sifting through he responses, it's all evidence, at least potentially. After they complete their investigations, only the few that bore fruit were useful as evidence, so we could say that those were the only ones that should be called "evidence". What about those that were never investigated because the subject was already caught? What about those that could reasonably be evidence, but it was impossible to check for some reason?

Some categories seem to be emerging. Reports that seem on their face to be useful. Reports that are obviously unrelated. Those that pan out. Those that were never investigated at all. Let's put each type into separate boxes and undertake the task of coming up with a good label for each box, each having the word "evidence" as part of it. The unrelated ones can be called "not evidence". How about the rest?

And of course, to stay on topic, which box do the Messengers' statements go into?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
One hundred "books" is not all that impressive. Especially if they are all on the same subject and rehash a lot of material covered in other books. Also the term "books" can be very misleading. i have seen "books" of the Bible where one could write a hundred of them in a year. And what makes you think that he had no education? He was born to a rich family. Formal education may not have existed in its present form where he lived then. A rich family would hire their own teachers in the past. Odds are that his family did this.

And he spent much of his life under house arrest or in gaol so there was probably not much else to do other than write.

QuestioningMind

So you see the recorded Word as bad Evidence. I personally get different proofs from that evidence than you do.

I would offer the proof that I look for in the evidence, is not the claim. I personally look what it offeres in virtues.

Regards Tony

Claims that can't be verified offer no proofs whatsoever. Just because you happen to like the claim that's being made doesn't in any way make it true.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
About Jesus and Muhammad proving they have been the greatest leaders? No, I don't think that they have, not at all. Christianity is, today, not really all that much about what Jesus said and did, but about how Paul (and a couple of pseudo-Pauls) interpreted the little they actually knew about what he did and said. Christianity really should be called Paulianity.

And Islam spread through military conquest, trade, pilgrimage, and missionaries, as Arab Muslim forces conquered vast territories and built imperial structures over time. Most of the significant expansion occurred during the reign of the Rashidun from 632 to 661 CE, which was the reign of the first four successors of Muhammad, not Muhammad himself. The caliphate—a new Islamic political structure—evolved and became more sophisticated during the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates. Again, very little to do with Muhammad except the retention of his name, and a mis-guided belief as to how the Qur'an was written.

Use the word Educators then.

They proved they are the greatest Educators of Humanity.

Regards Tony

QuestioningMind

This OP was about evidence. Thank you, you see it as weak evidence.

Regards Tony
Claims that can't be verified are about the weakest evidence someone can provide. Thus if there are genuinely 'messengers from god' then I can only conclude that this god is extremely weak and ineffectual and probably not worthy of my attention.