• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think that Donald Trump is a Christian?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I really do want to get an idea of what members think......
This question has been sparked by conversation on another thread .......

OK... I have seen President Trump hold up a big black book which looked like a bible. He held it high for pictures whilst standing outside the church by the White House. I think it might have been upside down, but that's the kind of mistake that I would make. He has referred to his Christian supporters on telly, and I don't know much else about his own religious 'position'.

So........ Please....... what do you think?

I go with what he says. If he says he's a Christian, he is, as far as I'm concerned. Ultimately, we disrespect any individual if we try to say they're something different than what they claim about themselves. If you say you're a deist, I believe you. Let the individual be their own judge on how they classify themselves with regard to religion.

Nimos

New Do you think that Donald Trump is a Christian?
I actually thought about this last night, not especially in regards to Trump, but in general. Out of the soon 46 presidents, how many might actually be atheists, but to afraid of saying so? :D

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I actually thought about this last night, not especially in regards to Trump, but in general. Out of the soon 46 presidents, how many might actually be atheists, but to afraid of saying so? :D
LoL...Exactly...
I think religious affiliation might be politically appealing...:p

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are no current declared atheists in the US senate. In America, declaring yourself atheist would most likely lead to a sure defeat, given the hate towards atheists.
Religious affiliation in the United States Senate - Wikipedia

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I believe D.Trump has something to do with Christianity ... "Anti-Christ" comes to mind.
For starters "Thou shall not lie" nor "grab them @ their *****" (Bible worded it different, so indeed Trump has something with the Bible:D)

And I wouldn't say that Trump follows the below to a T
You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. Unlike the other commandments which focus on outward actions, this commandment focuses on thought. ... This commandment forbids the desire for acquisition of another's goods.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

OK... I have seen President Trump hold up a big black book which looked like a bible. He held it high for pictures whilst standing outside the church by the White House. I think it might have been upside down, but that's the kind of mistake that I would make. He has referred to his Christian supporters on telly, and I don't know much else about his own religious 'position'.

If he thinks he's christian then why should anyone else deny his faith?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Of course he's lying. Think about the things that he's said in support of his claim:

He claimed to have been a lifelong reader of the Bible, but he's never been able to say what his favourite passage is, and he called Second Corinthians "Two Corinthians" in a speech.

He claimed to be a regular church attender, but the church he claimed to attend says that they don't know him.

Trump has boasted of his religious credentials, but there have been some missteps along the way. Last year, he told an Iowa evangelical gathering he had never asked God for forgiveness — a central tenet of the Christian faith — and he repeated that Sunday on CNN. He's declined to cite his favorite Bible verse or even his favorite testament. And the Presbyterian church he says he attends in Manhattan has said he's not an active member.
Citing 'Two Corinthians,' Trump Struggles To Make The Sale To Evangelicals

ppp

No. I don't believe Trump is a Christin. Just an opportunist.
Though there is certainly nothing he has said or done that is inconsistent with being a Christian, or a Muslim, or a Baha'i, or a Hindu, etc..

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
If he thinks he's christian then why should anyone else deny his faith?

I agree its no one else's business to declare what another person's faith is. The only exception I can think of is, for example, if I declared myself a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and then committed terrible acts in the Flying Spaghetti Monster's name, and claimed it was in the teachings, I could understand if the other church members came out and declared this incorrect, and publicly declared that I was not one of them.

I do wonder a bit if he really thinks he is or not... or if he sits back and giggles at the idea when no one's around. But no, probably not my place to give a definitive on that.

It seems most Christians are ready to accept him as one, even if they disagree with his behavior.

firedragon

Veteran Member

He could be Christian, he could be pretending.

There is absolutely no way to say anything either way. If you are a Christian, then in reality for you only God or any one of the holy trinity would know. No one else.

In my opinion if someone calls himself a Christian honestly, he is a Christian. So that's that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I agree its no one else's business to declare what another person's faith is. The only exception I can think of is, for example, if I declared myself a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and then committed terrible acts in the Flying Spaghetti Monster's name, and claimed it was in the teachings, I could understand if the other church members came out and declared this incorrect, and publicly declared that I was not one of them.

I do wonder a bit if he really thinks he is or not... or if he sits back and giggles at the idea when no one's around. But no, probably not my place to give a definitive on that.

It seems most Christians are ready to accept him as one, even if they disagree with his behavior.

Christianity is as wide as humanity. There are as many versions of it as there are christians.