• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think that Donald Trump is a Christian?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I really do want to get an idea of what members think......
This question has been sparked by conversation on another thread .......

OK... I have seen President Trump hold up a big black book which looked like a bible. He held it high for pictures whilst standing outside the church by the White House. I think it might have been upside down, but that's the kind of mistake that I would make. He has referred to his Christian supporters on telly, and I don't know much else about his own religious 'position'.

So........ Please....... what do you think?

IMO he appears to be Religious in name only, like a lot of other Americans.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I think Donald Trump believes God is for suckers. Just like he believes serving in the military is for suckers. Or doing anything for anyone else is for suckers. Donald Trump believes only in serving himself.
Thanks for your answer. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I believe D.Trump has something to do with Christianity ... "Anti-Christ" comes to mind.
For starters "Thou shall not lie" nor "grab them @ their *****" (Bible worded it different, so indeed Trump has something with the Bible:D)

And I wouldn't say that Trump follows the below to a T
Fair enough.
I'm going to have to count all these answers..... I should have produced a survey really! :)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

OK... I have seen President Trump hold up a big black book which looked like a bible. He held it high for pictures whilst standing outside the church by the White House. I think it might have been upside down, but that's the kind of mistake that I would make. He has referred to his Christian supporters on telly, and I don't know much else about his own religious 'position'.

Not really, and I don't care. I just wish he didn't have to play pretend to keep up appearances for the Christians.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

I don't think it's for me to judge whether Donald Trump is a true Christian, but he's definitely on the side of Christians, at least in many ways.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Does he think that he's a Christian?

He's a notorious liar, so IMO the fact that he said he's a Christian is no indication that he actually thinks that he's a Christian.

I didn't think he was a president but...

It may be ploy but without evidence no one should judge him on that. There is so much evidenced rubbish to judge him on

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ultimately, we disrespect any individual if we try to say they're something different than what they claim about themselves.
I've denounced a few people claiming they have Asperger's because they did not have any hallmark features of it (such as being out and making friends and having a sense of empathy that works better than average).
I have insisted one person I've met who claims to be MtF isn't basically over issues of sexual safety and getting to know someone who likes having erections like a guy, likes using them like a guy, and has a hard time with "no" like a scummy, douchy guy (along with incredible and extreme naivety about women and holding sexually-charged fantasies about women - such as believing women go around groping each other and feeling each other's breasts).

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

It may be ploy but without evidence no one should judge him on that. There is so much evidenced rubbish to judge him on
"Two Corinthians" strongly suggests to me he's not. Here we say "Second Corinthians." He didn't learn the "two" in church or from other Christians.

Heyo

Veteran Member

The only sensible criterion for someone being a Christian is if they say so. That extends even to Donald Trump who is a habitual liar - because there is no way to prove him wrong.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've denounced a few people claiming they have Asperger's because they did not have any hallmark features of it (such as being out and making friends and having a sense of empathy that works better than average).
I have insisted one person I've who claims to be MtF isn't basically over issues of sexual safety and getting to know someone who likes having erections like a guy, likes using them like a guy, and has a hard time with "no" like a scummy, douchy guy (along with incredible and extreme naivety about women and holding sexually-charged fantasies about women - such as believing women go around groping each other and feeling each other's breasts).
I've known a bunch of people who thought they were trans but really weren't (usually either just transvestite pervs or seriously mentally ill).

ChristineM

Premium Member
"Two Corinthians" strongly suggests to me he's not. Here we say "Second Corinthians." He didn't learn the "two" in church or from other Christians.

And i called it Corinthians two, but then i admit i am not a christian. However he says he is. It could be a con to sucker the Christian right but i consider the chances that he is at least the lowest form of christian, to be reasonably high.

I try not to judge without evidence and there is no hard evidence that he isn't but a lot of his callous indifference does remind me of some christians i have had the misfortune to meet.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

2 out of 3 Corinthians say "Uhm, no". ;)

He certainly doesn't seem acquainted with certain principles:

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." - Matthew 6:24

"If you don't support me, you're going to be so goddamn poor." - Donald J. Trump

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." - Matthew 5:9

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?" - Donald J. Trump

"Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." - Matthew 23:12

"Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest, and you all know it! Please don’t feel so stupid or insecure, it’s not your fault.” - Donald J. Trump

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And i called it Corinthians two, but then i admit i am not a christian. However he says he is. It could be a con to sucker the Christian right but i consider the chances that he is at least the lowest form of christian, to be reasonably high.

I try not to judge without evidence and there is no hard evidence that he isn't but a lot of his callous indifference does remind me of some christians i have had the misfortune to meet.
It's not hard evidence, true, but it strongly suggests he's just making it up to appease a group.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's not hard evidence, true, but it strongly suggests he's just making it up to appease a group.

Could very well be but i look at the percentages(lots if christians in the us) and actions. He isn't christian in the bible thumping states style but there is a lot of christian in him

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

But there is evidence.

For him to be a Christian would mean acknowledging something higher than himself. It seems unlikely to me that Trump's ego would let him do that. :D

"Hard evidence" like how the church he claimed to attend in Manhattan said that he's never been a member?

Or like how Michael Cohen described how Trump called Evangelical Christian beliefs "bull****?"

And for me, it isn't that his behaviour is inconsistent with being a Christian; it's that he doesn't seem to have shown any sign of being a Christian until he ran for President, and it seems to be something he only does for show.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If he is christian, whether we believe it or not, is ideally between him and his god. We say we shouldn't judge then we find the right to judge other people's conviction of faith. If he says he is, he is. Whether or not he is living up to his christian ideals, well, that is a different story-not just for him but for all christians and religious and people who trying to live up to their ideal selves and deeply held values. There is a saying somewhere in the bible where only brothers of christ can rebuke and warn other brothers in christ. So, since I'm not a brother or sister (rather) in christ, who am I to say? I don't know him like that.