• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do you believe that the Garden of Eden is a real place?

Is the Garden a real place?

• Yes

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
i was curious whether or not people believe the Garden actually exists and why they believe one way or the other.

No. Biggest reason is the time gap is very small for anything distinct like that would exist. Life on earth wasnt around until 4.5 billion years ago. People didnt believe in one-god religions until way way way later. Like other religions, they are stories to help understand the role of how others view one theory of creation. Like Native Ameriacn stories etc. its pretty much for that purpose. Im sure Hindu creation stories are arond the same purpose.

I dont understand how the supernatural can be when abraham lived around in the 7th century BC (as so looked up) but then in the 21st century, nothing!

It all doesnt add up. I dont know if The Catholic Church believes these things are literal. Many Fundamentalist (JW included) surely do.

Elliott5779

I dont understand how the supernatural can be when abraham lived around in the 7th century BC (as so looked up) but then in the 21st century, nothing!

It all doesnt add up. I dont know if The Catholic Church believes these things are literal. Many Fundamentalist (JW included) surely do.

i had a similar thought regarding this. i considered that since i know Torah to be true that maybe we are lacking something today that Abraham had in his time. i continue to research the matter.

What is JW?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I never ask the question "does such and such exist" given if I can ask the question, the answer is already yes. I accept the reality of all worlds, apparent or otherwise, whether they are part of my traditions or not. And let's be clear - I do not accept that the Garden of Eden was a thing in the apparent world, presently or historically. But it certainly is one of the many countless otherworlds out there... one that has some powerful intersections with our own through story and song of one of the dominant mythic traditions of our age.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
i had a similar thought regarding this. i considered that since i know Torah to be true that maybe we are lacking something today that Abraham had in his time. i continue to research the matter.

What is JW?

I'm not a theist, but yeah, it could be. We would have to do a lot of brain hopping. Evidence doesn't bother me either way. But I do wonder why many of you want to prove these stories are historical. Im sure that's not the point of scripture.

Are you jewish? As for Judaism, I don't know of they believe in the literal stories of the Torah. Not many answer my posts to know much of what they believe beyond basics.

JW is short for Jehovah's Witnesses. They are a christian sect but not considered Christian (or followers of Christ) since they disagree with the trinity and most of what's in Christian history that make Christian, Christian. I don't know where to put them outside of being a follower of Christ. Very fundamentalist in their views.

Earthling

David Henson
i was curious whether or not people believe the Garden actually exists and why they believe one way or the other.

I couldn't vote because of the wording. The garden of Eden was (past tense) a real place. It no longer is, probably after the flood.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I may have found it. It's in Florida. There's even a picture of a sign indicating that:

IMG_20170715_131451036.jpg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I don't believe it exists(ed). I think it's a metaphor and allegory the loss of innocence of childhood, or general loss of innocence... a rude awakening.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
According to the Bible it should still be around.

Given we pretty much mapped the entire world and didn't see it anywhere, it's pretty apparent it's something that had never existed except in the annals of ancient Mythology.

Sounds like a pretty cool Garden though.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As for Judaism, I don't know of they believe in the literal stories of the Torah.
Some do but most don't. Even one of the greatest Jewish sages, Maimonides, felt that much of what's in the first dozen or so chapters of Genesis likely are allegorical, thus not literal.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes.

'Eden' is all around us, and it always has been. What we lost when we decided to presume ourselves to be demi-gods (according to the story) was our ability to see it and appreciate it for what it was, and for our natural, humble place within it. And so instead we now toil and labor our lives away endlessly trying to "correct" our world because it will not serve us exclusively as we presume it ought to be doing.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes. Eden is all around us, and it always has been. What we lost when we decided to presume ourselves to be demi-gods (according to the story) was our ability to see it and appreciate it for what it was, and for our natural place within it. And instead we toil and labor our lives away endlessly trying to "correct" our world because it will not serve us exclusively as we presume it ought.
aaahhhh......no

the story speaks of one event
a manipulation to alter the mind and spirit of Man

the specimens were then released into the environment

the garden dismantled having served it's purpose

Elliott5779

I'm not a theist, but yeah, it could be. We would have to do a lot of brain hopping. Evidence doesn't bother me either way. But I do wonder why many of you want to prove these stories are historical. Im sure that's not the point of scripture.

Are you jewish? As for Judaism, I don't know of they believe in the literal stories of the Torah. Not many answer my posts to know much of what they believe beyond basics.

i am Jewish and the Torah has many levels to it, The literal being one of them.