• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe what you believe

I believe

• In a deity or deities

• Maybe deities exist, maybe not.

• I don't care if deities exist or not.

• Deities do not exist.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted I believe 'in a deity or deities'.

In my view Consciousness/Brahman Alone is real for which the word deity is not really appropriate. I see deities as beings that exist on the highest spiritual plane. They represent the infinite in a finite form.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that each minister, priest or Imam at his or her podium is a deity in competition with the unseen and completely nonphysical God. To say that God exists is to lower God to our level of existence, to that of a god or a goddess. We are the ones who need to exist, not the other way around.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is for discussion only, no debating, please. Simply vote and post what you believe. Since this isn't a debate no one need feel like they have to justify or defend their belief.

I've learned a lot about people being here at RF. Let's learn more.
What I believe doesn't really fit into any of your categories.

When it comes to gods and religions:

- I believe that every religion I've looked into in depth has serious logical flaws and strong signs of being completely made up.

- I haven't looked into every religion in depth (but religion's poor track record so far gives me no hope whatsoever that any of those other religions are true or reasonable either.

- I recognize that sometimes, irrational, fabricated beliefs can turn out to be coincidentally true, so there are some god-claims I've encountered that I can't absolutely rule out... though the same can be said of all sorts of ridiculous nonsense that isn't related to gods, so that's not saying much.

- if it weren't for all the theists in the world, theistic claims wouldn't be worth a second thought. But I have to interact with theists, so it's worthwhile to try to figure out why they believe what they believe.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is for discussion only, no debating, please. Simply vote and post what you believe. Since this isn't a debate no one need feel like they have to justify or defend their belief.

I've learned a lot about people being here at RF. Let's learn more.
Here is what I believe.

I believe that there is a singular root entity that is the substantial essence of everything, actualizing all physical phenomena that exists as well as all logical and mathematical structures that give physicality form. I believe evolution has granted human mind a limited cognitive ability to perceive this essential reality at a subconscious level (for most) through which we gain the ability to make creative connections and also gain our enhanced sense of meaning making and self awareness. Spiritual practices can bring this cognitive awareness to the level of conscious apprehension, though incompletely. We Hindus call this entity Brahman, but it may also be perceived as a personal entity, in which case it is called God.

I have had certain meditative experiences that indicate the above description is true. Which is the reason that I believe, along with the fact that the intuitions about ethics and reality I had gained from them had stood me in excellent stead both in my personal development and as a scientist.

David T

Premium Member
There was no none of the above in the poll. I believe if I need to use the bathroom as I am driving then I can, Google McDonald's and they will have a bathroom. I don't believe, that my Googling it will guarantee there to be a bathroom. What I do know is that whether I believe or don't believe is totally independent of reality of whether or not there is a bathroom there. So why is it important to believe, or not believe, or be agnostic at all when I have just SHOWN, that at least two instances in fact have zero to do with reality all? . Then I have to ask why so many people place total trust in that phenomenona, and make it bedrock to whom they are in totality! It's absurdly NORMAL!!!!!!.

David1967

Premium Member
I believe in God. I have no doubt in the existence of the creator. I do doubt mans fumbling attempts to define Him. Terms like angry , jealous and vengeful IMHO are dwelt on too much in many churches. I believe God is so much more than that. And with that being said. I also believe that I have much to learn and am humbled by that.

danieldemol

Premium Member
To every discerning and illumined heart it is evident that God, the unknowable Essence, the divine Being, is immensely exalted beyond every human attribute, such as corporeal existence, ascent and descent, egress and regress. Far be it from His glory that human tongue should adequately recount His praise, or that human heart comprehend His fathomless mystery. He is and hath ever been veiled in the ancient eternity of His Essence, and will remain in His Reality everlastingly hidden from the sight of men. "No vision taketh in Him, but He taketh in all vision; He is the Subtile, the All-Perceiving."[1] No tie of direct intercourse can possibly bind Him to His creatures. He standeth exalted beyond and above all separation and union, all proximity and remoteness. No sign can indicate His presence or His absence; inasmuch as by a word of His command all that are in heaven and on earth have come to exist, and by His wish, which is the Primal Will itself, all have stepped out of utter nothingness into the realm of being, the world of the visible.
[1 Qur'án 6:103.]

Gracious God! How could there be conceived any existing relationship or possible connection between His Word and they that are created of it? The verse: "God would have you beware of Himself"[2] unmistakably beareth witness to the reality of Our argument, and the words: "God was alone; there was none else besides Him" are a sure testimony of its truth. All the Prophets of God and their chosen Ones, all the divines, the sages, and the wise of every generation, unanimously recognize their inability to attain unto the comprehension of that Quintessence of all truth, and confess their incapacity to grasp Him, Who is the inmost Reality of all things.
[2 Qur'án 3:28.]

The door of the knowledge of the Ancient of Days being thus closed in the face of all beings, the Source of infinite grace, according to His saying: "His grace hath transcended all things; My grace hath encompassed them all" hath caused those luminous Gems of Holiness[3] to appear out of the realm of the spirit, in the noble form of the human temple, and be made manifest unto all men, that they may impart unto the world the mysteries of the unchangeable Being, and tell of the subtleties of His imperishable Essence. These sanctified Mirrors, these Day-springs of ancient glory are one and all the Exponents on earth of Him Who is the central Orb of the universe, its Essence and ultimate Purpose.
[3 The Messengers of God]
(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 98)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Apatheist and ignostic here. Also strong atheist, but that is of lesser or no significance.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You left out the category I vote for:

5. No one can define a real god for me such that I could tell it was a god if I found it, and imaginary gods don't count, so I have no clear idea what the question is referring to.
So, you too are an ignostic then?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am a Baha'i. This means excepting there is only One God. That One God has given all the Messengers in a progression of understanding, that is guiding and assisting us in our evolution of the Love and knowledge of God in this Material World.

May all be well and happy, regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe in God. I have no doubt in the existence of the creator. I do doubt mans fumbling attempts to define Him. Terms like angry , jealous and vengeful IMHO are dwelt on too much in many churches. I believe God is so much more than that. And with that being said. I also believe that I have much to learn and am humbled by that.

Well done, great thoughts.

Regards Tony

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have seen absolutely no evidence for the existence of deities, therefore I've gone with the last choice, although I suppose I could have gone for the second.