• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Because the Bible said so. . . .

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
2 Corinthians 6
14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belialb ? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them

and walk among them,

and I will be their God,

and they will be my people.”c

17Therefore,

“Come out from them

and be separate,

says the Lord.

Touch no unclean thing,

and I will receive you.”d

18And,

“I will be a Father to you,

and you will be my sons and daughters,

says the Lord Almighty.”

Why would christ die for unbelievers (if they are so bad) and then talk with sinners, instruct sinners, and be an intermediary so that sinners can be in union with god?

Wouldn't those verses be for those non-believers who verbally and literally reject god (I remember christ yelling at someone for rejecting god somewhere) and not for unbelievers in general?

Believers and unbelievers have one thing in common: they are sinners. Regardless their belief and disbelief, in christianity, christ died for all people so that all people have the chance to be in union with god. That is why you have missionaries and evangelist. You have people who are humble sharing god's word and people honest in their inquires about christ-even on RF-because they are not put down as unbelievers but people searching for christ.

What christ is talking about is people who willingly reject. I'm out the house to find the scripture but I read the bible in full; so, I'm asking more of a deep question rather than shooting scripture back and forth....

unless you want to talk more about scripture itself rather than just quoting it??

DavidFirth

Why would christ die for unbelievers (if they are so bad) and then talk with sinners, instruct sinners, and be an intermediary so that sinners can be in union with god?

Wouldn't those verses be for those non-believers who verbally and literally reject god (I remember christ yelling at someone for rejecting god somewhere) and not for unbelievers in general?

What do you think some people do on here all day long?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What do you think some people do on here all day long?

Many people reject (if one likes) because they genuinely do not believe god exists. Some reject because they know they do not need a savior. Some-like Hindus on here-haven't even heard of christianity enough to want to pick up a bible in order to reject it.

I think you're generalizing a lot of us based on a handful of people on RF that really hate christianity and christ.

I edited my other post. I try not to do that but I always think of something last minute.

Christ put trust in people who sinned. This isn't being mean: why don't you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@DavidFirth

Do you have to look down on those who do not believe?

I mean, when I was christian it was always "people are coming to christ" or "people are spiritually growing" or "god is working with them to change their hearts."

We never talked about people who outwardly rejected christ in a bad manner. One Catholic where I live (most are Catholic or protestant) used to be protestant. So when people say something against christ-not insult just differing beliefs-she'd get upset and tell them they need christ and all the things you mentioned. Then I think, is it a protestant thing? I've never heard of a Catholic-in my area mind you-say that to anyone christian, catholic, buddhist, satanist, or not. They just share what christ taught and how the body of christ sees it.

Another example is when I went to a protestant church and they were talkin about homosexuality and how it was a sin. The pastor was fussin' up a storm saying its an abomination and all of that mess.

Then one day at Mass, the priest talked humbly and shared the value of marriage. He didn't put down homosexuality and homosexuality but shared what scripture teaches about union between man and woman and why. The way he expressed it, it wasn't an insult just difference of opinion.

Why do many protestants need to look down on people??

Do you really feel christ looks down on unbelievers but talks to them, teaches them, washes their feet, and saves them all in the same gospel?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
2 Corinthians 6
14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belialb ? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them

and walk among them,

and I will be their God,

and they will be my people.”c

17Therefore,

“Come out from them

and be separate,

says the Lord.

Touch no unclean thing,

and I will receive you.”d

18And,

“I will be a Father to you,

and you will be my sons and daughters,

says the Lord Almighty.”

Case in point.

This is what worries me, the people who think in Bible verses.

DavidFirth

@DavidFirth

Do you have to look down on those who do not believe?

I mean, when I was christian it was always "people are coming to christ" or "people are spiritually growing" or "god is working with them to change their hearts."

We never talked about people who outwardly rejected christ in a bad manner. One Catholic where I live (most are Catholic or protestant) used to be protestant. So when people say something against christ-not insult just differing beliefs-she'd get upset and tell them they need christ and all the things you mentioned. Then I think, is it a protestant thing? I've never heard of a Catholic-in my area mind you-say that to anyone christian, catholic, buddhist, satanist, or not. They just share what christ taught and how the body of christ sees it.

Another example is when I went to a protestant church and they were talkin about homosexuality and how it was a sin. The pastor was fussin' up a storm saying its an abomination and all of that mess.

Then one day at Mass, the priest talked humbly and shared the value of marriage. He didn't put down homosexuality and homosexuality but shared what scripture teaches about union between man and woman and why. The way he expressed it, it wasn't an insult just difference of opinion.

Why do many protestants need to look down on people??

Do you really feel christ looks down on unbelievers but talks to them, teaches them, washes their feet, and saves them all in the same gospel?

No, I do not look down on anyone. I merely tell it like it is.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Believing something just because it is in the Bible is a blind belief and it is reckless and potentially dangerous, more often to the people around you. This is not the same as facts, as facts face a lot of scrutiny. We all know blind beliefs can lead people down dark tunnels, as it is common sense, but for some reasons people dump this common sense when it comes from holy scriptures, and then suddenly it becomes OK to just take things to be true blindly with no amount of reserve.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Believing something just because it is in the Bible is a blind belief and it is reckless and potentially dangerous, more often to the people around you. This is not the same as facts, as facts face a lot of scrutiny. We all know blind beliefs can lead people down dark tunnels, as it is common sense, but for some reasons people dump this common sense when it comes from holy scriptures, and then suddenly it becomes OK to just take things to be true blindly with no amount of reserve.
There are people who take passages out of context because the passages confirm their preconceived bias. There are others, regrettably few, who check what they think they've read against the central message - the law of love. If one believes the Christian Bible, then one should check everything they read against the statement of the two greatest commandments upon which everything is based. And that check includes the stories of what Jesus did and the Sermon on the Mount. If what they think they've read is different than this, they should recognize that they've missed the boat.

What I see all too often is those calling themselves Christian ignoring the law of love and speaking and acting from fear, anger and rejection. And instead of avoiding judging others, thunder on rejecting and judging someone else.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, I do not look down on anyone. I merely tell it like it is.

How you express it isnt humble. For example, everyone has their interpretation of scripture. Scripture is only a book. From my experience, you know christ more intimidly through the body, the people of the church (body of christ); union of worship.

So when scripture says "worthy of correction" its talking about correcting people in christ not unbelievers. So a nombeliever cannot twist scripture he doesnt believe in.

Thats like saying Im lying about my adopted mother with whom I dont have. I would put more emphasis on helping your peers see the correct untwisted scripture.

I havent read about christ saying that non believers twist scripture. He said pagans and those who willingfully reject christ. There is a difference. Unbelievers is a generalization. An unbeliever to a JW is a believer to a Catholic. Yet, JW cant stand christiandom noneless catholicism.

I dont know. The twisting scripture is illogical. Nonbelievers cant twist scripture they dont believe in. Maybe they are growing in christ. Maybe their interpretation like yours and mine are human and the Real relationship is with christ not a book.

Many humble ways to express what scripture says.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
So you consider the Bible to be equivalent to being factual?

I consider the bible to be mostly stories and interpretations with some historical facts but the question was about belief. If a person wants to believe Moses parted the Red Sea, The world was flooded killed off all but those on Noah's boat or that Adam and Eve are the father and mother of all humans it causes no harm unless acted on.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So Christians don't want to be yoked to righteousness and light? That's fine. Go off in your wickedness and darkness without us.

I think a better way of saying it is, if christ went among the wicked, sick, and unfaithful, why cant a christian.

People live in service to god daily by serving people who dont believe. So, its not wickness. Its just lack of wanting to be a service to unbelievers as christ did. Its more, how would Insay, indifference for lack of stronger words.

Ponder This

Is it dangerous to believe something just because it is in the Bible?

Well, almost anything can be turned into a dangerous weapon... the Bible isn't special in that regard. If you knew someone would believe exactly what you said as long as it was a direct quote from the Bible, you could manipulate him into doing horrible things. On the other hand, you could manipulate him into doing good things too.

Sometimes, how you choose to use knowledge is more important than the informational content itself.

DavidFirth

And what is the 'great day of the Lord'?

Revelation 6
12I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, 13and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. 14The heavens receded like a scroll being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

15Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and everyone else, both slave and free, hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. 16They called to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide usf from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! 17For the great day of theirg wrath has come, and who can withstand it?”