• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Because the Bible said so. . . .

Jedster

Is it dangerous to believe something just because it is in the Bible?

Yes. The same goes for any other book.(as @Ponder This has said).
Although many adherents (of any scripture following religion), deny it, they deify their book and in many cases the writings of their associated theologians.
I think that people should form their own beliefs from their own life experience(s) and not borrow them from others'.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not that the don't but until they do they hurt no one. Believing all your life that there's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow hurts no one. Until you try and find the pot of gold you are not effecting anyone.

Unless you convince others there's a pot of gold, they pack their family in a minivan, sell the house, and drive straight off a cliff looking for it.

Err...that example might have been a tad too specific...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Unless you convince others there's a pot of gold, they pack their family in a minivan, sell the house, and drive straight off a cliff looking for it.

Err...that example might have been a tad too specific...

Talking about a belief is an action but to your point all people have the same responsibility to question beliefs especially if it comes from others. If they listen to someone beliefs and don't question the beliefs then they are responsible for driving off the cliff not the person with the beliefs.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
happened to me too, in London UK.
Very disappointed that there was just asphalt there.:(
I actually managed to drive through the end of a rainbow on the way home from work one day. I was SORELY disappointed. :)
Not that the don't but until they do they hurt no one. Believing all your life that there's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow hurts no one. Until you try and find the pot of gold you are not effecting anyone.

Rainbows are circles so they have no ends. We only see them as arches because half of it is in the ground, if you are up high enough in a plane you can see the full rainbow.

circular-double-rainbow.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Talking about a belief is an action but to your point all people have the same responsibility to question beliefs especially if it comes from others. If they listen to someone beliefs and don't question the beliefs then they are responsible for driving off the cliff not the person with the beliefs.

I mean...I guess I get what you mean. But a belief you neither talk about nor act based on is...well...unusual?

Bryan Bridges II

Is it dangerous to believe something just because it is in the Bible?
It depends. The Bible talks about people who are Christians outwardly, yet are not truly converted and therefore not truly Christians. For these people it can be very dangerous, for the natural man doesn't really understand the Bible (1 Cor 2:14). False believers have been the source of many false teachings and heresies, so I would warn everyone who thinks you are a Christian to examine yourself carefully. Also, real Christians can easily misunderstand the Bible. We should read questionable or hard things in the Bible with care and much prayer

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I consider the bible to be mostly stories and interpretations with some historical facts but the question was about belief. If a person wants to believe Moses parted the Red Sea, The world was flooded killed off all but those on Noah's boat or that Adam and Eve are the father and mother of all humans it causes no harm unless acted on.
If a person believes that scientific knowledge is sin caused delusion, that most people are going through the wide gate of hell into eternal torment and the only way to get to heaven is to reject all worldly knowledge and rationality and stick to the literalist Bible (or Quran) no matter what, I would try to be as far away from such a guy as possible.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the natural man doesn't really understand the Bible (1 Cor 2:14).

I think that unbelievers have a more objective perspective of what the Bible says and are therefore the best judges of what its message is. The unbeliever can look at a vague passage and say that it has no clear meaning as the Christians debate among themselves about which of them has the correct interpretation of what is essentially poetry.

The unbeliever can see an example of moral or intellectual failure by the deity and call it that, whereas the believer must sanitize the passage and convert it into something moral or reasonable, or just shrug his shoulders and say that God;s infinite goodness and intelligence transcends our puny minds' ability to understand that what appears monstrous or absurd really isn';t in some inexplicable way.

Ask an unbeliever what the story of Job tells us, and he'll agree with just about every other unbeliever: It is the story of a capricious god unjustly toying with the life of a good man as a demonstration to a demon. That's simply not acceptable to anyone, so the believer adds to the story to make it more palatable. Maybe God was punishing Job for an unstated sin, or training him to be a better person, or whatever one can improvise to justify what is unjustifiable without the ad hoc, just-so explanation.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
If a person believes that scientific knowledge is sin caused delusion, that most people are going through the wide gate of hell into eternal torment and the only way to get to heaven is to reject all worldly knowledge and rationality and stick to the literalist Bible (or Quran) no matter what, I would try to be as far away from such a guy as possible.

But if he kept it to himself, how would you know?