• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Because the Bible said so. . . .

DavidFirth

Is it dangerous to believe something just because it is in the Bible?

No. It is quite dangerous to ignore the Bible. On the great day of the Lord you and everyone else will see that I told you the truth. Until then men will do as they please.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
To turn my previous short answer of "yes" into a longer explanation:

It is as dangerous to believe something just because it is in the bible as it is to believe something just because it is in any other fiction book. We teach our children to know the difference between fiction, Harry Potter books, and reality, a school's scientific textbook. To teach that the bible is as historically accurate as "The Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank is irresponsible.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Are you suggesting that actions are never influenced by beliefs?

Not that the don't but until they do they hurt no one. Believing all your life that there's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow hurts no one. Until you try and find the pot of gold you are not effecting anyone.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I could quote Leviticus as part of my yes it can be dangerous especially to take various passages literally. People find in all scriptures what they're looking for including injunctions to commit evil acts. After all, both North and South used the Bible during the Civil War to argue against and for slavery.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Not that the don't but until they do they hurt no one. Believing all your life that there's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow hurts no one. Until you try and find the pot of gold you are not effecting anyone.
That is not a realistic way of looking at it. If we lived in some imaginary land where people never acted on thier beliefs (something that is impossible) you may have somewhat of a point.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
In answer to the OP it is dangerous to take any unknown text as factual. It is analogous to eating something without knowing what it is. For example suppose the govco says that hiding under a wooden desk will save you from nuclear bombs. Is it really safe to believe that? Its the government, so why would it lie?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
That is not a realistic way of looking at it. If we lived in some imaginary land where people never acted on thier beliefs (something that is impossible) you may have somewhat of a point.

And blaming people for just having beliefs is more realistic. It is more impossible to not have a belief, in fact without a belief there would be no facts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why are you trying to bait me?

I'm not. I just get pet peeved when anyone separates themselves from others. Also, though, I was serious about my other question. I wanted a Christian to answer it rather than Bahai. I figure I can trust what a christian word about christianity than a muslim or anyone else.

Plus, RF makes people "look" suspicious of baiting. There are pros of being on here but then there are cons. Big cons. What's the point of being on here if you don't trust the intent behind the people who ask honest questions?

But, why do you separate yourself from others? That's one thing I didn't care for as a Christian. I'm no better than a wolf and no wolf is better than a sheep. We're all animals. Hence why Christ died for wolves as well as sheep. So, I don't understand.

Why would you be outside of those who twist scripture to suit their own interpretations?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No. I believe christ is spirit and I believe people die in christ. If I treated people who did not believe what I do as wolves, then yes, it is dangerous. If I'm generous in my belief and help others as christ helped others rather than talk down about them, then no, it wouldn't be dangerous.

It's how a person acts and express themselves based on their beliefs not the beliefs in and of themselves.

DavidFirth

I'm not. I just get pet peeved when anyone separates themselves from others. Also, though, I was serious about my other question. I wanted a Christian to answer it rather than Bahai. I figure I can trust what a christian word about christianity than a muslim or anyone else.

Plus, RF makes people "look" suspicious of baiting. There are pros of being on here but then there are cons. Big cons. What's the point of being on here if you don't trust the intent behind the people who ask honest questions?

But, why do you separate yourself from others? That's one thing I didn't care for as a Christian. I'm no better than a wolf and no wolf is better than a sheep. We're all animals. Hence why Christ died for wolves as well as sheep. So, I don't understand.

Why would you be outside of those who twist scripture to suit their own interpretations?

2 Corinthians 6
14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belialb ? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them

and walk among them,

and I will be their God,

and they will be my people.”c

17Therefore,

“Come out from them

and be separate,

says the Lord.

Touch no unclean thing,

and I will receive you.”d

18And,

“I will be a Father to you,