• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for Atheists..

HonestJoe

The yeast of PW makes sense "You loose nothing by believing in god, but can gain everything by doing so"
Well you can't choose to believe, you either do or you don't (another flaw in the Wager) but even if you could, it would be perfectly possible to loose by choosing to believe in god. There could be a god who will punish those who seek to believe just for their own gain or the true power in the universe could be something entirely different that will punish those who believe in gods. Again, this isn't a binary question. Believing in a god (especially in a specific god) is just one of a literally infinite range of viewpoints a person could have. And only one will be entirely correct (if that).

Or to put it differently "until proven wrong keep an open mind, does make sense to me"@
Isn't that the opposite of "believe in god because you've nothing to loose"? Keeping an open mind would mean not believing anything but only focusing on what we can know and working around the vast range of things we don't. Belief happens when when the ignorance becomes too unsettling. :cool:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well you can't choose to believe, you either do or you don't (another flaw in the Wager) but even if you could, it would be perfectly possible to loose by choosing to believe in god. There could be a god who will punish those who seek to believe just for their own gain or the true power in the universe could be something entirely different that will punish those who believe in gods. Again, this isn't a binary question. Believing in a god (especially in a specific god) is just one of a literally infinite range of viewpoints a person could have. And only one will be entirely correct (if that).
Were you Christian in the past?

Belief happens when when the ignorance becomes too unsettling. :cool:
Might be for you, but does not apply to me

More accurate might be

Ignorance causes people to not "see God/Truth"

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Hence I highlighted in pink the part I found valuable

But the highlighted part is simply wrong and I, as well as others, have already addressed that.
You have tremendous things to loose by believing false things, especially when it concerns religions - which typically have massive impact on worldviews in terms of social relations, political stances, treatment of women, treatment of LBGTs, etc etc etc.

I respect your belief. Advaita adherents might disagree with you

It's not a belief, it's fact. Thousands of different, incompatible, gods have been claimed and believed in by mankind.

When people "claim Gods in which they believe" does not make it true (even the word "believed in" indicates it's not fact)

Duh.

Again, I respect your belief. IMO "to believe is a choice" ... "to know is not a choice"

It is not a choice and you can EASILY demonstrate that to yourself.

For example: go ahead, "choose" right here, right now to believe in santa. Or alien abduction. Or bigfoot. Or extra-dimensional pixies.

Choose, right here, right now to honestly believe something that you currently think is bonkers.

I submit that you can't do it. You can pretend to believe. But you can't honestly believe by choice.

Belief is a compulsion, a result of being convinced of something for whatever reason.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The yeast of PW makes sense "You loose nothing by believing in god, but can gain everything by doing so"

@HonestJoe just explained how that wouldn't be sufficient. Believing in a god that is not Jawhe, would be idolatry for example. A breach of the 10 commandments.

Or to put it differently
"until proven wrong keep an open mind, does make sense to me"
@stvdvRF

That's like the definition of an argument of ignorance.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
IMO:

There is not something like "True (non) Faith"
Just pick any (non) Faith that agrees best with you (for you Atheism)
Gradual purify body, mind, emotions and gradual wisdom will be revealed

Note: Wisdom is not acquired by reading/studying (like knowledge), but by purification

Seems to me like you are simply talking from the standpoint of your particular belief.

That type of belief would be insufficient if christianity or islam is incorrect and you'ld lose pascal's wager.

The point. You keep missing it.

stvdv

For example: go ahead, "choose" right here, right now to believe in santa. Or alien abduction. Or bigfoot. Or extra-dimensional pixies.

Choose, right here, right now to honestly believe something that you currently think is bonkers.

I submit that you can't do it. You can pretend to believe. But you can't honestly believe by choice.

Belief is a compulsion, a result of being convinced of something for whatever reason.
I see 1 huge difference between "Santa, Bigfoot" and between "Divine". I don't talk about "Bible-God"
I respect your opinion on this, but I have a different opinion about this
I have no desire to prove you wrong nor to impose my belief on you
So, I leave it at that. You believe your way, and I believe my way

Last edited:

stvdv

Seems to me like you are simply talking from the standpoint of your particular belief.

That type of belief would be insufficient if christianity or islam is incorrect and you'ld lose pascal's wager.

You are free to stick to your opinion

stvdv

@HonestJoe just explained how that wouldn't be sufficient. Believing in a god that is not Jawhe, would be idolatry for example. A breach of the 10 commandments.

That's like the definition of an argument of ignorance.
I don't expect you to agree with me, because you identify with Atheism
So, we just disagree on this. You believe your way, and I believe my way

From my POV what I said is correct, but I understand you disagree, and I am fine with that
I don't care if others disagree with my opinion, and have their own opinion about this

Yes, that is what IMO means, which I also have added under all my posts. I make no claims, just share my opinion.

From my POV you keep missing the point I make, But that is to be expected with Atheism vs Theism
So, I understand that you have a different opinion than I have, hence I decided not to argue, just share my opinion

Only when the other claims that my opinion is faulty, I tell him "I agree to disagree on this".
Unless he can convince me. But that is not to be expected, when we speak different languages (atheism vs theism)

Last edited:

HonestJoe

Were you Christian in the past?
No, I've never been a believer or practiced any religion.

Might be for you, but does not apply to me
You wouldn't necessarily be conscious of it. I see it as a fundamental consequence of human psychology.

More accurate might be

Ignorance causes people to not "see God/Truth"
Which leads them to believe things that aren't true instead?

Everyone will have their own beliefs and views of existence (though I suspect a lot of people probably don't really think deeply about this kind of thing). Most of us (maybe even all of us) must be wrong. And god or not, that is a truth. :cool:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
] But that is to be expected with Atheism vs Theism
This is exactly the point that you're missing.

Pascal's Wager is NOT about "atheism vs theism".

It is about "atheism vs islam vs christianity vs budhism vs hinduism vs scientology vs ......<insert long list of mutually exclusive religions here>"

And actually, even that is not really correct...
It's actually broken down even further into:

atheism vs sunni islam vs shiite islam vs shia islam vs protestan christianity vs catholicism vs southern baptists vs ................................................................................. <insert immensly long list of mutually exclusive denominations of all religions>

stvdv

This is exactly the point that you're missing.

Pascal's Wager is NOT about "atheism vs theism".
I was not talking about Pascal's Wager when I mentioned "Atheism vs Theism"
Your focus here is on PW, whereas my focus is on Spirituality; hence different POV, hence we can't agree
I don't say you are right/wrong and neither am I, we both have different opinions about this. And that's fine with me

I said that the text I colored pink makes sense to me
That's all; I am not interested in Pascal's Wager
And I never debate opinions of others
I don't want to change their POV

You follow your belief system and I follow mine
Belief is about opinions. There is no right and wrong
Otherwise it would not be called belief (unproven till now)

This is how I see it, and I don't expect/want you to accept it. But I don't let others belittle my opinion
When I make a false claim, you could tell me I am wrong. But all my posts are my opinions only

When I make a claim, I will announce it in BIG LETTERS, so all can try to prove me wrong
But unless I do that, it would be better to not try to prove my opinion wrong

Loaai

A Logical Scientific Philosopher.
Yes. I have personal standards, and I try to employ them in my judgment. Don't you?
I find it an abandonment of responsibility to declare that some or other view expressed in a book can be taken to be absolute.
What's the point of declaring that God has all that knowledge if we don't have access to it? It may as well be a lie for all the good it does.
Yes, that he's a sadist or an amoral authoritarian. I endeavor to be neither. Don't you?
Goodness me! That's a shocking picture of a god, who has to torture people to substitute fear for respect. Should we model our governments on such a principle because someone alleges God does?
Ah, there's the difference right there. I have respect for my fellow humans, rather than send them into traps.
We drew lines, yes, but we never hit any of our children, merely reproved, on not very many occasions restricted, but largely explained. Seems to have worked pretty well.
It never occurred to us to ask our kids to worship us. What benefit does worship bring the worshiped one, do you say?
[He] doesn't act like [he] wants anyone to believe [he] exists. [He] never appears, never says, never does, even when terrible things happen. In my morality, if something bad is foreseen and can be prevented with effort proportional to a good result, then I do it. I certainly don't look on if a small child falls into a swimming pool, for instance, or is about to run onto the road ─ let alone the events that overtake adults. But if there's a God, and if that God is good, then [he] shouldn't just sit on [his] hands, any more than I should.

Or else [his] morality is seriously different to mine, much cruder, much more barbaric.
The number of authenticated miracles is zero, of course.

Does it ever occur to you that the world behaves exactly as if the only place manner in which God exists is as a concept / thing imagined in individual brains?

So, first of all you didn't answer the very first question of this debate:
(If believers were to be correct about afterlife) What would you say then?

Now for the misconceptions:

"The number of authenticated miracles is zero, of course."

What you said here is absolutely invalid and if no such miracles occurred I myself would be an atheist just like you.

But let's first agree on a single definition for "Miracles", They are irregular acts that are against logical/rational thinking, are against nature and from these acts we can conclude that they are connections between a divine world (consider it to exist) and the secular world. So these acts were created by a God to further prove his existence to human beings.

From these miracles are:

- The fact that an illiterate person "invented" / "created" such amazing and long poetry 1400 years ago (Qur'an) that consists of about 600 pages is itself a miracle.

- God said: (Didn’t those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were an act of embellishment, so we devoured them) Al-Anbiya’s: 3 :Qur'an
The scientists' amazement at the Islamic Youth Conference held in Riyadh in 1979 reached its peak when they heard the holy verse and said: Truly, the universe at its beginning was a huge nebulous cloud of smoke, contiguous and gradually transformed into millions of millions of stars that fill the sky.
Then the American Professor (Palmer) stated that what was said could in no way be attributed to a person who died 1400 years ago because he did not have telescopes or space ships to help discover these facts, so the one who told Muhammad was God. Then the Professor (Palmer) converted to Islam at the end of the conference.

- God said: (And we made from water every living thing, will they not believe?) Al-Anbiya ': 30: Qur'an
Modern science has proven that any living organism consists of a high percentage of water, and if it loses 25 percent of its water, it will inevitably die because all chemical reactions inside the cells of any living organism take place only in a water medium. From where to Prophet Muhammad, - may God bless him and grant him peace -, with this medical information?

- God said: (And the sky we built with our hands, and it's expanding) Al-Dhariyat: 47: Qur'an
Modern science has proven that the sky is constantly increasing in capacity. Did Arabs own telescopes and satellites 1400 years ago? Or is it a revelation from God, the Creator of this great universe? Is this not conclusive evidence that this Qur’an is true from God?

- God said: (And we made from the sky a protecting roof) Al-Anbiya ': 32: Qur'an
And modern science has proven the existence of the atmosphere surrounding the earth, which protects it from harmful solar rays and destructive meteors, so when these meteorites touch the Earth's atmosphere, they are raging in contact with it, so they appear to us at night in the form of small luminous blocks falling from the sky at a great speed estimated at about 150 miles per second. They quickly extinguish and disappear, and this is what we call meteors. Who told Muhammad, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, that the sky is like a roof that protects the earth from meteors and harmful sun rays? Is this not from the definitive evidence that this Qur’an is from the Creator of this great universe?

Is this enough or would you like to know more? Source is the one and only Qur'an (The Noble Quran) which I doubt if you have even googled before.

Famous Islamic advocate [Zakir Naik] said himself that if anything mentioned in the Qur'an was proven scientifically 100% to be incorrect or to be against humanity/moral values, he would become an atheist and I strongly agree with him, that further explains why the first verse that was revealed by God to prophet Muhammed -peace be upon- him was just "Read." which at that time meant to seek learning and science (since he was illiterate).

God knows that science is going to further proof his existence, and if you say anything related to "Oh, that was just a coincidence" then I have to tell you that Richard Dawkins have explained our existence on earth among billions of other planets to be also a coincidence, and that the shift between regular chemistry and biochemistry on Earth was not discovered till now and was said to also be a coincidence and that we being the only creatures that can debate right now was also a coincidence.. Coincidence after coincidence after coincidence? Now THIS IS irrational for any normal human being. (Especially when you're presented with miracles that exist till now.)

God knows that science is going to convince millions who are in doubt that this book itself is a very obvious miracle and that God actually exists. A single prophet A single person A single human being who can't write or read, Muhammed -Peace be upon him- invented this book? an illiterate person literally created the Arabic Grammar? An illiterate human being mentioned all these scientific information 1400 years ago?

I love logical and rational thinking, I love to critic everything and everyone and even myself, and I love the way atheists think, BUT. There is a huge misconception among all atheists it's that any religious human should be radical, irrational and unscientific which is absolutely incorrect for all what Heavenly religions urge (Islam, Christianity and Judaism) and the only book that was never swerved till now is the Qur'an (Unlike The Bible and The Torah).

I'm an ordinary Muslim and I'm sure you have met Christians and Jews before, we are all as ordinary as you, we all approve of Science just like you, don't feel as if we are all stupid, fooled and brainwashed. We think, create, imagine, criticize and eat just like you! but when proof from God is presented in form of conclusive miracles then and only then life does have a meaning, we obey his rules proudly and genuinely believe.

Last edited:

Loaai

A Logical Scientific Philosopher.
I was not talking about Pascal's Wager when I mentioned "Atheism vs Theism"
Your focus here is on PW, whereas my focus is on Spirituality; hence different POV, hence we can't agree
I don't say you are right/wrong and neither am I, we both have different opinions about this. And that's fine with me

I said that the text I colored pink makes sense to me
That's all; I am not interested in Pascal's Wager
And I never debate opinions of others
I don't want to change their POV

You follow your belief system and I follow mine
Belief is about opinions. There is no right and wrong
Otherwise it would not be called belief (unproven till now)

This is how I see it, and I don't expect/want you to accept it. But I don't let others belittle my opinion
When I make a false claim, you could tell me I am wrong. But all my posts are my opinions only

When I make a claim, I will announce it in BIG LETTERS, so all can try to prove me wrong
But unless I do that, it would be better to not try to prove my opinion wrong

I mean I came here to debate man. --> That's undebatable.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, that is Pascal's Wager. I see nothing wrong with it; even a smart one ... until proven wrong keep an open mind, does make sense to me
The more I study (and think) the firmer my belief in God becomes.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I mean I came here to debate man. --> That's undebatable.
At a certain point, one shouldn't keep switching lines, should they? I mean one should be able to draw conclusions (iow, make sense).

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, first of all you didn't answer the very first question of this debate:
(If believers were to be correct about afterlife) What would you say then?
Back in #26 I stated that if people find comfort in such ideas, that's fine.
"The number of authenticated miracles is zero, of course."

What you said here is absolutely invalid and if no such miracles occurred I myself would be an atheist just like you.

But let's first agree on a single definition for "Miracles", They are irregular acts that are against logical/rational thinking, are against nature and from these acts we can conclude that they are connections between a divine world (consider it to exist) and the secular world. So these acts were created by a God to further prove his existence to human beings.
I define "magic" as the alteration of reality independently of the rules of reality, and "miracle" as that subset of magic which is said to be performed by a supernatural being which is worshiped.
From these miracles are:

- The fact that an illiterate person "invented" / "created" such amazing and long poetry 1400 years ago (Qur'an) that consists of about 600 pages is itself a miracle.
We don't know who wrote the Qur'an. Although we think it comes from around the time of Muhammad, we don't know if it had been written by someone else a little earlier, or at the same time. Put it this way ─ which of these possibilities is more likely: (a) that it was written by someone else and influenced Muhammad (b) that Muhammad was the author and was better educated than the evidence otherwise suggests (c) that it was dictated by a supernatural being. It seems obvious, uncontroversial, that the chances of (a) are distinctly high, the chances of (b) are not impossible, and the chances of (c) are indeed impossible.
God said: (Didn’t those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were an act of embellishment, so we devoured them) Al-Anbiya’s: 3 :Qur'an
There's that nasty punitive streak again, the bully who rules by threats and acts of violence both purposeful and arbitrary.
The scientists' amazement at the Islamic Youth Conference held in Riyadh in 1979 reached its peak when they heard the holy verse and said: Truly, the universe at its beginning was a huge nebulous cloud of smoke, contiguous and gradually transformed into millions of millions of stars that fill the sky.
The Big Bang theory says no such thing. Instead it postulates a singularity as close to infinitely compact as physics will allow, which expanded with colossal force, creating within itself the universe ... and so on.
Then the American Professor (Palmer) stated that what was said could in no way be attributed to a person who died 1400 years ago because he did not have telescopes or space ships to help discover these facts, so the one who told Muhammad was God. Then the Professor (Palmer) converted to Islam at the end of the conference.
I wish Professor Palmer well, as I wish people of goodwill everywhere well, but how many Muslims have lost their faith as they learnt and understood modern cosmology, modern physics?
- God said: (And we made from water every living thing, will they not believe?) Al-Anbiya ': 30: Qur'an
Thales, generally regarded as the originator of Greek philosophy, said that water was the basis of matter c. 600 BCE. That someone should say water was the basis of life a thousand years later doesn't seem at all extraordinary to me. And although modern theories of abiogenesis postulate the likelihood that life originated in water, however life started, it was not made from water but simply from chemical events probably taking place in water.
- God said: (And the sky we built with our hands, and it's expanding) Al-Dhariyat: 47: Qur'an
Modern science has proven that the sky is constantly increasing in capacity. Did Arabs own telescopes and satellites 1400 years ago? Or is it a revelation from God, the Creator of this great universe? Is this not conclusive evidence that this Qur’an is true from God?
The trouble is that the statement is so vague that no single clear meaning appropriate to physics can be attached to it.

And if we ignore that aspect, why would a god make statements to [his] followers that they wouldn't be able to understand for another 1400 years?
- God said: (And we made from the sky a protecting roof) Al-Anbiya ': 32: Qur'an
No, that sounds more like the biblical idea of the firmament ─ the sky as a hard dome you can walk on. (The bible also thinks the stars are attached to it.)
Is this enough or would you like to know more? Source is the one and only Qur'an (The Noble Quran) which I doubt if you have even googled before.
I'm wholly unpersuaded. Fundamentalist Christians make similar arguments from the bible which don't stand scrutiny either.

You don't address the moral problem that seems to me to be central ─ you describe fear, the threat of divine violence, death and post-mortal torment, as the substitute for respect; and also punishment / torment instead of healing.

My morality rejects all of those out of hand.

Last edited:

Earthtank

Peace be upon you everybody!

I have seen a lot of atheists here on the forums, but honestly I expected to see believer not atheists; as this site is called "religious forums", but anyway I've had a really interesting question for those who don't believe in after life and think that Its all fake, and as my communist friend once said (Karl Marx) "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

- Let's all assume that this is correct.
that after life is all fake and atheists were correct after all.. nature created the universe, planets, sun, human beings, animals, birds, Everything..but then would it really matter for believers?
20 minutes is the average time that a believer "wastes" everyday to pray, and worship his/her God, a very humble number that never compares to the hours that we all admit to waste on social media and random stuff, if believers are wrong.. Are they sincerely going to be regretful for those "wasted" minutes everyday?

I don't think so.

- Now, Lets assume the opposite.. that after life was true and that there is a single God who created this whole universe, what are atheists going to say then? What are atheists going to say when Heaven and Hell are revealed? and that only those who believed in God will go to heaven and others will not.

To any atheist reading this, I know that pride and dignity are your divine principles, but they won't do anything for you if believers were correct, they won't have any value if you find out that afterlife was true, consider both situations to happen, personally as a believer myself I would never feel ashamed if my beliefs were incorrect, I would never feel ashamed because I would just die and that's it. No afterlife!

For you atheists If believers were to be correct about Heaven, Hell, Afterlife, God, What would you do/say then?
Asking Atheists any question is a waste of time as everything is subjective and can change with the wind. They can't even prove that rape is wrong