• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zero Probability of Evolution. Atheism wrong?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do you lack the experience of 99% of humankind, do you think?

Yes. I think. That is why I'm an atheist.

Like millions of others, I have learned to critically evaluate claims, including god claims. I have learned the power of skepticism, reason, and empiricism, and have the justified belief that they will lead me to properly understanding my world and to making good decisions more frequently while navigating it.

You have it backward. It's the majority - the believers - who lack the experience necessary to not believe. They lack the education and other cultural support necessary to choose atheism.

Incidentally, the world is not 99% theistic.

religion-statista.jpeg

And those that are theistic contradict one another, which tells us that if they aren't all wrong, at least most of them are.

If you like to use numbers to imply correctness, recall that most of the world rejects the Christian god just as most of it rejects the Muslim god and every other god.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-17_8-8-33.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-17_8-8-33.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Millions disagreed with the idea that the Earth is round, and the sun at the center of the solar system. Of course, that didn't make them correct.

Then explain why most people in the modern era believe in God? Are most Westerners uneducated, superstitious? Think carefully, your answer may condemn you as you condemn your own generation.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yes. I think. That is why I'm an atheist.

Like millions of others, I have learned to critically evaluate claims, including god claims. I have learned the power of skepticism, reason, and empiricism, and have the justified belief that they will lead me to properly understanding my world and to making good decisions more frequently while navigating it.

You have it backward. It's the majority - the believers - who lack the experience necessary to not believe. They lack the education and other cultural support necessary to choose atheism.

Incidentally, the world is not 99% theistic.

religion-statista.jpeg

And those that are theistic contradict one another, which tells us that if they aren't all wrong, at least most of them are.

If you like to use numbers to imply correctness, recall that most of the world rejects the Christian god just as most of it rejects the Muslim god and every other god.

Ah, you're right! I forgot places like China and Russia, with their century or so of firm brainwashing, and martyrdom for the religious. Thanks for the reminder.

Of course, in America, where many are college educated, and where there exists freedom of worship, not only are over 90% of people theists, over 50% believe in creation, not evolution. How come all those hours of secular education haven't convinced us?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ah, you're right! I forgot places like China and Russia, with their century or so of firm brainwashing, and martyrdom for the religious. Thanks for the reminder.

Of course, in America, where many are college educated, and where there exists freedom of worship, not only are over 90% of people theists, over 50% believe in creation, not evolution. How come all those hours of secular education haven't convinced us?

Only Russia's government was atheist in the past. They did not brainwash. They pretty much gave up on fighting religion. China I don't know much about and I am betting that you know even less.

Educated people are more likely to be atheist. Not because of any brainwashing, but because they can and do reason logically.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You said there was evidence God exists. Present it or stop saying you have it.

Prove you exist, and that my solipsism is wrong, and then I'll have a valid reason to spend time on proof for God.

Or we can just jump to the chase now:

1. At some point, you will admit "I know I exist, even if you disbelieve me, because it is self-evident to me that I exist/think therefore am."

2. I will then say, "God is self-existent to me," which Christians call, "a personal testimony".

3. You will then claim I lack empirical evidence for God, and I will say either "no, there's evidence but you're in denial," so instead, I will then say:

4. "You lack empirical evidence that you exist."

5. Your response, even though you were not an eyewitness to the events of your birth, will include documents regarding your existence.

6. I will then respond, "Then why you do you disbelieve the Bible documents," then remember that you merely have an anti-supernatural bias, so instead I will say:

7. "Prove those documents exist, that is, prove reality exists."

8. You will then respond, "no one can prove reality exists, but practically, we have to deal with this life," to which I will respond:

9. Then it would behoove you to prepare for the reality of the judgment and the world that is coming . . . for yourself, thoughtfully.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You could be close to the truth. There are those that posit the bits of the brain that weave these religious fantasies are a coping mechanism for the awareness of mortality, as in, at some point it was a beneficial trait.

Now it's pretty much vestigal, like tonsils or wisdom teeth.

1. I suggest you do research on the non-vestigial facts regarding tonsils, wisdom teeth, etc.

2. Then you can start to unravel the vestigial lies you learn in secular education against original creation.

3. Then some AMAZING things will begin to happen.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you didn't choose atheism? Interesting. Don't you believe in free will?
The question of free will is a toughie.
How is it defined?
How can it be tested?
All I can say with any confidence is that it feels like I have free will.
But is this feeling predetermined?
I see an unanswerable question which doesn't affect me.

I no more chose atheism than I chose to disbelieve in fairies, sprites,
leprechauns, wraiths, angels, ghosts, genies, Satan & Sasquatch.
To believe in things unevidenced has simply never been an option.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Prove you exist, and that my solipsism is wrong, and then I'll have a valid reason to spend time on proof for God.
You are the one who said there were good reasons and evidence for God. If you're a hard solipsist, this cannot possibly be true.

Or we can just jump to the chase now:

1. At some point, you will admit "I know I exist, even if you disbelieve me, because it is self-evident to me that I exist/think therefore am."

2. I will then say, "God is self-existent to me," which Christians call, "a personal testimony".

3. You will then claim I lack empirical evidence for God, and I will say either "no, there's evidence but you're in denial," so instead, I will then say:

4. "You lack empirical evidence that you exist."

5. Your response, even though you were not an eyewitness to the events of your birth, will include documents regarding your existence.

6. I will then respond, "Then why you do you disbelieve the Bible documents," then remember that you merely have an anti-supernatural bias, so instead I will say:

7. "Prove those documents exist, that is, prove reality exists."

8. You will then respond, "no one can prove reality exists, but practically, we have to deal with this life," to which I will respond:

9. Then it would behoove you to prepare for the reality of the judgment and the world that is coming . . . for yourself, thoughtfully.
So you're not content with just putting words in other people's mouths, you're inventing entire dialogues that bear almost no resemblance to any conversation we've had thus far based on pure nonsense.

I'll ask you again: debate the points being made.

Looncall

Ah, but the popularity of religion is evidence that the scam that is religion is very effective, as one would expect of a con game that has been refined over thousands of years. It shows nothing else.

Shad

Veteran Member
How does that explain modern belief in God from educated persons, most of whom believe atheists are in some kind of denial?

Your use of educated is far too generalized to the point that it is creates a useless point. Being educated in Y does not make one educated in X. If people are judging atheists as delusional without any diagnosis in person they are unethical. If they are doing it outside their expertise their views are useless as well as they are uninformed.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
1. I suggest you do research on the non-vestigial facts regarding tonsils, wisdom teeth, etc.
I have. They are still vestigial. You do not appear to understand what "vestigial" means.

2. Then you can start to unravel the vestigial lies you learn in secular education against original creation.

There are none that I am aware of. Do you have a valid source that supports your claims?

3. Then some AMAZING things will begin to happen.

Since you do not seem to be able to support your claims I have doubts about this last one.