• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your regular spiritual schedule

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If you guys have any, then please answer away:

What are the things you guys try to do daily for spiritual contentment?

Doesn't matter if you don't do it daily, but I'm curious to see what people do on a regular basis to quench their spiritual side. Do you chant, meditate, listen to hymns or devotionals, or read scripture, pray, and so on? :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Daily I say aloud
I love my wife
I love my children by name
I like my life.

Weekly
I meditate on Peace, Health, and Happiness for all

It has made all the difference in my life.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Every evening I contemplate on God and the issues of the day, in informal prayer.
I go to Communion on Thursdays.
Most Sundays I watch songs of praise.

Noaidi

slow walker
I walk my dog every day by the sea and at weekends, weather permitting, I climb the mountain behind my house. Sometimes - again weather permitting (it rains a lot here!) - I take my bodhran, sit on a rock and drum to the sea. Sounds loopy, I know, but it works for me and I'm not forcing it on anyone else!

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I pray, or at least contemplate, daily and I read at least a few verses from the Tanakh daily.

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
I write my thoughts in a small green notebook I carry around with me in my coat pocket. I also try to read a little bit of poetry to flex my artistic muscles.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I usually don't do much...

If anything, almost once a week I meditate while thinking of things that are needed, kind of like a prayer.

11:11, kinda superstitious, it's where I pray at 11:11am a wish and 11:11pm the "amen". Sometimes I miss the time though.

BruceDLimber

I endeavor to do the things asked of Baha'is each day:
  • read the scriptures morning and evening,
  • recite "Allah-u-Abha" ("God is Most Glorious") <aka the Greatest Name> 95 times, and
  • recite the daily Obligatory Prayer.
Best regards, :)

Bruce

Levite

Higher and Higher
If you guys have any, then please answer away:

What are the things you guys try to do daily for spiritual contentment?

Doesn't matter if you don't do it daily, but I'm curious to see what people do on a regular basis to quench their spiritual side. Do you chant, meditate, listen to hymns or devotionals, or read scripture, pray, and so on?

In theory, I ought to be praying three times a day and learning Torah every day. In practice, I try to pray every day, and I try to learn some Torah most days. I meditate once or twice a week-- breath work, some movement meditation, and a little mantra chanting.

I try to do seasonal spiritual practices also. For example, I count the Omer (marking the fifty days between the first of Passover and the holiday of Shavuot) in the Spring, and recite kinot (prayers of mourning) during the Three Weeks (between the fast of the 17th of the month of Tammuz, marking the fall of beseiged Jerusalem to the Romans, and the fast of the 9th of the month of Av, marking the date both Temples were destroyed); and I recite selichot (prayers of repentance, introspection, and acknowledgement of God's justice) during the month of Elul, leading up to the High Holidays.

As a Baha'i, I read Baha'u'llah's Writings every morning and evening, even if it is one sentence, and I meditate on it.

Then, I do the Long Obligatory Prayer, which is to be said once every 24 hours after abluting oneself.

And of course, after I sit down and chant Allah'u'Abha, God is Most Glorious, ninety-five times a day. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted so far! It's good to see what people do on a regular basis for their spiritual/religious needs.

Keep 'em coming!

and a little mantra chanting.
I'm curious Levite, what kind of mantra chanting do you do? Do you have any specific mantras that you chant that you would be willing to share? :)

Levite

Higher and Higher
I'm curious Levite, what kind of mantra chanting do you do? Do you have any specific mantras that you chant that you would be willing to share?

Well, I don't feel comfortable using most of the traditional Hindu or Buddhist mantras, because they usually walk the line, or are over the line, of what is theologically acceptable to a Jew. But I really like the concept of mantra repetition as meditation focus, so I tend to use words or phrases in Hebrew or Aramaic from the Tanakh or from Talmud or from Kabbalistic works, or sometimes I use one of the lesser names of God, if I feel like I want the meditation to be a focus for me increasing my connection to the Divine Presence, or the flow of sacred energy from a particular aspect of God.

I would say my most common mantra is sh'ma Yisra'el Adonai elohenu Adonai echad ("Listen, [People] Israel: YHVH our God-- YHVH is One!" which is Deut. 6:4, I believe). Second to that would be kadosh kadosh kadosh Adonai Tzeva'ot melo kol ha'aretz kevodo ("Holy! Holy! Holy! YHVH of Legions! The world entire is full-up with His glory" or, alternatively translated, "Holy, holy, holy is YHVH of Legions! He encompasses the universe!" Which is Isaiah 6:3, if I recall right).

.Frame.

Title pending.
I set aside time each day to spend open mindedly and open heartedly reflecting upon my place in the universe, my relationship with others, and allowing this reflection to influence my state of mind.

Where it is not impolite, I eat only during daylight hours.

I take temporary vows, which expire after a few days or weeks, or only when certain conditions are met. Sometimes these serve an express purpose, but often they are simply an opportunity to practice my self control and to dull the influence of my selfish desires.

That's about it, at the moment. I expect my practice will evolve as my beliefs evolve and I become wiser.