• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your regular spiritual schedule

Twig pentagram

High Priest
If you guys have any, then please answer away:

What are the things you guys try to do daily for spiritual contentment?

Doesn't matter if you don't do it daily, but I'm curious to see what people do on a regular basis to quench their spiritual side. Do you chant, meditate, listen to hymns or devotionals, or read scripture, pray, and so on? :)
I try to indulge in the things that make me happy, I always look for reasons to be grateful, and I try to be as peaceful as I can every situation.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I awaken. I breathe. Life continues. It's a habit that I have found hard to break.

I try to indulge in the things that make me happy, I always look for reasons to be grateful, and I try to be as peaceful as I can every situation.

Doughnuts and cookies are free for me at my work, and yet I know that I would go to the hospital if I indulged in that happiness, LOL.

But I always loved to be conscious at every moment and know that everything is a blessing and miracle from God. If I keep on realising that, I know that I will be graced with bounties and divine benedictions. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I am very curious why are you asking?
First, because it's nice to know.
Second, because it's nice to see RFers do something besides play the continual ******* match. RF's been a bit too feisty recently that I feel some people will begin disliking others, which I don't think is constructive for a forum.

That help? :)

Daemonic Coyote

I be kind to all I meet and I try to make the world a better place every day. It's not so much that I do as much that I try to do it. I also take a moment to think about God and what he means to me, and how I can make a better tomorrow.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Doesn't matter if you don't do it daily, but I'm curious to see what people do on a regular basis to quench their spiritual side. Do you chant, meditate, listen to hymns or devotionals, or read scripture, pray, and so on? :)

Other than the times I do manage to settle my *** down and meditate, I reflect and practice during work. As a groundskeeper at a hospital campus, this affords me a wonderful opportunity to directly practice dharma through many venues whether picking up garbage, cigarette butts 1, asphalt and cement patching 2, or landscaping 3. I get to observe the world at work while working.

Sometimes I supplement my personal sense of spirituality with music through my itunes which in addition to the normal selections 4, I have included Tibetan music (singing Bowls especially) and bell ceremonies recorded from various temples. I also listen primarily to episodes of the Secular Buddhist on I tunes. My days normally go by quick of which I lose the passage of time due to the activity. (Same as with some sittings of Zazen Hmmm.....) My challenge ATM is to drop my perception which separates work and free time to where upon coming home, I have a tendency to drop on the couch feeling exhausted and exclaim on how happy my day is over with! :O)

1 Here my emotions usually well up trying to reconcile the fact that people are simply animals naturally throwing crap all over the place
2 This work is hard and intensive involving heavy lifting and physical labor thus I'm fairly sore and achy for a bit of which my body makes this perfectly abundant at times.
3 I like to rake the beds similar to zen garden meditation
4 RAMONES any one ??? 1 2 3 !!!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
We attend church on Sundays and holy days such as Good Friday, Ash Wednesday, etc.

I read scripture several times a week, usually in relation to studying a particular ethical topic.

I thank God every day - and usually several times a day - for all that He has blessed me with, which is far more than I ever expected. I think what this boils down to is an attitude of gratitude - the realization (which honestly never leaves me) that all good things come from above, from my Father who loves me.

I pray as needed throughout the week for guidance and wisdom.

I share my faith with others when appropriate. As St Francis said so well:

"Share the gospel always - when necessary, use words."

Bismillah

Submit
Wake up at 5:30. Ablations, prayer.
12:40. Ablations, prayer.
5:20 Ablations, prayer.
7:40 Ablations, prayer.
9:20 Ablations, prayer.

Normally I will read for about an hour a book on Islam by various authors and spend time reading the Qur'an.

Every Friday go the mosque.
Dawah table every Wed which just ends up discussing religion bw/ me and my friends.

Boethiah

Penguin
I am only really alone and the house is only truly quiet at night, so that is when I like to sit and meditate. I meditate in the dark because I find it calming. I offer respect and thanks through the meditation/prayer. It is my quiet peace time really. That is the regular part of the schedule.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I pray for blessings to be sent to those who need them. I also express my gratitude for my good fortune.

I'm exploring meditation a bit more. That's been interesting.

I attend Church on Sundays and have become an active volunteer. I'm not entirely sold on the whole concept, but that's not required to be a member, so it all works out.

TurkeyOnRye

Doesn't matter if you don't do it daily, but I'm curious to see what people do on a regular basis to quench their spiritual side. Do you chant, meditate, listen to hymns or devotionals, or read scripture, pray, and so on?

I usually take a few moments throughout the day to merge. It does wonders for my health.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Well, each morning, I profess my undying love for Richard Dawkins. In the evening, I read an excerpt each from On the Origin of Species and The Communist Manifesto to calm my mind.

But more seriously, I don't really feel spiritual need, at least as far as I can tell. (It likely depends on the definition of a spiritual need.) I do, however, make a note to read a few religious texts and philosophical texts each year. The last one I finished was a re-reading of the Bhagavad Gita, and I think next will be the Qur'an again. Also on my list are reading some more Buddhist scripture, since I'm rather sparse in that area. As far as philosophy goes, I'm meaning to read Niezsche this year. I may read an Upanishad as well (if anyone has any recommendations, let me know).

There were periods back a while ago when I regularly attempted lucid dreaming and meditation, but neither of those really went anywhere.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nine days out of ten I do 15 minutes hatha yoga, japa of my mantra, short 10 minute puja, 10 minutes scriptural reading, and about 5 minutes effort at meditation. I go to Hindu temple at least once a week, and pilgrimage somewhere at least once a year.

Jordan St. Francis

I attend Mass each Sunday and daily Mass about once a week (which is preceded by a devotion to a particular Saint/ the Sacred Heart and adoration and benediction of the Most Blessed Sacrament).

I also try to make it to any particular feasts that are either obligatory or of special value to me: ie. the Annunciation, Immaculate Conception, Candlemas, Assumption....aside from the obvious Christmas and the events of Holy Week.

Daily, I am trying to pray some of the liturgy of the hours for Lent (morning, evening and before bed) . Otherwise, I typically say a few prayers on my walk to work and a few before bed. I also pray the Rosary often.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
I meditate irregularly (but I am trying to do it every day or every other day), and I practice the solstices and equinoxes religiously (lol). I have also been doing Sunbathing and Moonbathing, and going out and really feeling the wind, earth, water and fire to connect with the elements. I practice small magick throughout the day, everyday, and I practice divination at least once a week.