• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your position about Islam

outhouse

Atheistically
Oh yeah. But like all religions you have your Zealots who will do that. That's the main reason why there is so much violence between them. The Sunni are way more Rigid in their beliefs than the Shia. What can I say man its a religion and it is growing faster in poor third world countries. They have anglicized Christianity so much that it has less of an appeal to people of color now.

Heres what I see.

islam are all literalist, it cause their fanaticism

christianity has YEC, and they have fanaticism, yet they are for the most part non violent. and a minority of the 2 B poeple

orthodox Judaism gets way out there too, but I only see them in Israel bobbing heads near the wall

Could you imagine USA if everyone were Christians YEC and our government was ran by YEC :facepalm: it would be a global nightmare, just like how many people view islam

Tabb

This is from a time when day dreams and visions were considered real.

The mythology and predictions are mythology added to the definition that started with christians

Also prophets were simply defined as someone who speaks about god.

The problem is not with the book as much as how it in interpreted, that is where the religion has taken a dangerous turn some 1100 ish years ago and has never recovered.

I totally agree with that. In this country where the chasm between the haves and have nots is getting bigger and bigger each day and religion is naturally cozying up with the wealthy. The lessons the French learned from their revolution should be paid attention too. A lot of religious leaders lost their heads to the guillotine also.

Tabb

Heres what I see.

christianity has YEC, and they have fanaticism, yet they are for the most part non violent. and a minority of the 2 B poeple

orthodox Judaism gets way out there too, but I only see them in Israel bobbing heads near the wall

Could you imagine USA if everyone were Christians YEC and our government was ran by YEC :facepalm: it would be a global nightmare, just like how many people view islam
That's what I'm saying.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Back to "what's wrong with Islam"?

So little time... Okay, I'm told that Islam is a "total solution". It covers who to believe in, how to pray, how to eat, how to have sex, how to keep clean, how to make laws, and on and on and on. It professes to be "a total solution to life".

This is almost the most extraordinary claim ever made. If not, it's way up the list of extraordinary claims.

But where's the evidence? When we ask Muslims for evidence things start to get a little shaky. No one will agree who even has the correct interpretation of the scripture. "It's perfect and all encompassing, but we can't actually find it for you."

Nice job, very compelling.

How about shining examples of Islam in practice? What Muslim majority country should we look to, to understand how Islam ought to work in practice?

So, extraordinary claims, next to zero evidence.

==

Does this seem harsh? Muslims start the game by making these claims. You want to claim you've designed a better hammer? You'll get far less resistance to that idea. You come in claiming the perfect, total solution for life, you ought to expect some really healthy skepticism.

Last edited:

samosasauce

1- What is your position about Islam?

My position is that peaceful Islam is a good religion. However, whenever people begin killing off others in mass mobs and beheading women for not dressing to their religious standars is when I can't handle it. Of course, this happens in every religion and even some atheistic views.

2- Do you have any questions that you would like having answers to?

Not particularly, not right now. Maybe at another point. I simply don't know what I would ask.

3- Why do you think Islam is wrong?

"Wrong" is the wrong word for it, although that might seem strange for me to say. See, I don't connect with Allah. I connect with him as much as I did with the Christian God when I was a child, which was almost none. I know I can't force myself to believe anything. I can't let myself be a liar and pretend I believe in something. I'm sure such an act would be worse to any god than being truthful about non-devotion.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Heres what I see.

You really should meet some Muslims and talk with them so that you can learn that your opinions specifically literalism does not have a basis in fact.

Tabb

Heres what I see.

m

Well Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity. How violent were Christians 600 yrs ago? pretty violent from what I read. Talk about Literalist.

Last edited:

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Back to "what's wrong with Islam"?

So little time... Okay, I'm told that Islam is a "total solution". It covers who to believe in, how to pray, how to eat, how to have sex, how to keep clean, how to make laws, and on and on and on. It professes to be "a total solution to life".

This is almost the most extraordinary claim ever made. If not, it's way up the list of extraordinary claims.

But where's the evidence? When we ask Muslims for evidence things start to get a little shaky. No one will agree who even has the correct interpretation of the scripture. "It's perfect and all encompassing, but we can't actually find it for you."

Nice job, very compelling.

How about shining examples of Islam in practice? What Muslim majority country should we look to, to understand how Islam ought to work in practice?

So, extraordinary claims, next to zero evidence.

==

Does this seem harsh? Muslims start the game by making these claims. You want to claim you've designed a better hammer? You'll get far less resistance to that idea. You come in claiming the perfect, total solution for life, you ought to expect some really healthy skepticism.

I bolded the part I was originally going to snip, but then decided to quote the whole thing. The evidence is in the practice, more than a 1000 years, and look where they are! FAILURE! To the point that the only solution is kill everyone that does not agree so to prove their point.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Well Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity. How violent were Christians 600 yrs ago? pretty violent from what I real. Talk about Literalist.

And with all the hate and violence of historical christians no one flew a jet into building. I don't imagine there were any suicide bombers or train bombings either. Thank goodness today's muslims could never get a nuke..o i mean thank goodness they didn't have nukes 600 years ago :))(

Erebus

1. I don't know enough about Islam to provide detailed criticism. That said, from what I've seen and heard of the religion it seems to stand in total opposition to my own values in virtually every area.

2. What would you say is the single most important thing Islam teaches?

3. Whether Islam is right or wrong is pretty much irrelevant to me.

Tabb

And with all the hate and violence of historical christians no one flew a jet into building. I don't imagine there were any suicide bombers or train bombings either. Thank goodness today's muslims could never get a nuke..o i mean thank goodness they didn't have nukes 600 years ago :))(

Wait a minute, you're forgetting about the terrorist In the UK. It was not so long ago that the IRA were the only terrorist in the news. People forget that one of their main beefs had to do with Catholic Irish Nationalism.They were blowing stuff up all over the place.

outhouse

Atheistically
You really should meet some Muslims and talk with them so that you can learn that your opinions specifically literalism does not have a basis in fact.

Find me one that does not believe Gabriel revealed the book to muhammad, and im all ears.

That is a requirement of islam, and it is all gods word to them.

So sorry but your wrong here, and I have talked to many muslims including my family that say your wrong.

Started a thread here about muslim literalism and not one muslim denied it.

Find me any muslim that thinks Abraham is a mythical character, that moses was mythical, and the rest of the mythology and we will talk.

less one point, everyone I know that follows history and science and is educated. is no longer really muslim.

Alceste

Vagabond
Do you think there are different levels of literalism and fanaticism between the 3 or are they all the same?

All the same. Within each there are different levels of fanaticism. All three have there fair share of both extremists and secularists. None are egalitarian or humanitarian enough for my taste, but different strokes for different folks.

outhouse

Atheistically
Some do, some don't. You're talking about 1.6 billion people. Any generalization you try to make is going to sound foolish.

I don't think there is a single muslim that thinks the koran was not revealed to muhammad by Gabriel.

All gods word.

or they would no longer be muslim

Reactions: MD

Levite

Higher and Higher
I don't think there is a single muslim that thinks the koran was not revealed to muhammad by Gabriel.

All gods word.

Let's be fair. Whatever the majority of Muslims, globally, may or may not believe, I have certainly met Muslims who self-identified strongly as Muslim, who were observant of the five pillars of Islam in most of the traditional senses, yet who were willing to believe that parts of the Quran are metaphorical and not literal, or who disagreed with traditional and literal interpretations of various parts of the text, and some of whom even believed that the text of the Quran considered canonical by Islam might not be the precise information revealed to Muhammad by Jibril.

I've probably met at least a dozen or more such Muslims, including an imam colleague of mine. I am told there are many, many more such out there.

It does seem like there are a plethora, a superfluity of literalists and fundamentalists among the world Muslim community, but I hardly think it's fair to say that every single one of the 1.6 billion Muslims on earth are literalist and/or fundamentalist. Even just statistically speaking, it would test the bounds of probability for there literally to be zero progressive Muslims.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

All gods word.

Out of 1.6 billion muslims, how can you be sure? I don't know if Sufis believe that. Do you?

ZooGirl02

I hope that only interested member about the topic would reply to it.

I have been pointed to create this thread in this section so I would be able to debate things.

Please note that some complex questions may require some time so I can get the answer to. I may also answer some question along with youtube videos.

I wish questions would be more directed towards theology and about Islam rather than being about Muslims and what they seem to do.

After all, not all muslims represent Islam. I would like to start with a misconception about Islam. This misconception is that we hate Jesus peace be upon him. As a matter of fact we don't and it is the other way round. Jesus peace be upon him is one of the greatest prophets in Islam and no one can be a muslim without believing in him and his miraculous birth from the mother Mary. There are far more misconceptions about Islam an here I would like to shed light and debate some of them

Two things I wish to hear from members so we can debate when there is a room for debate. I would be basing my answers from the Quraan when possible.

1. I personally have a great deal of admiration for Islam and have considered converting to Islam. I still consider the idea from time to time.

2. I don't have any questions at this time.

3. I can't really think of anything right now but I do have issues. I just can't quite articulate them at this moment.

outhouse

Atheistically
It does seem like there are a plethora, a superfluity of literalists and fundamentalists among the world Muslim community, but I hardly think it's fair to say that every single one of the 1.6 billion Muslims on earth are literalist and/or fundamentalist. Even just statistically speaking, it would test the bounds of probability for there literally to be zero progressive Muslims.

Point taken.

I think 100% is a bit of a push myself. But majority, I think still stands.

Where do you think that percentage stands? 1% 8% 10%?????

Christian YEC may stand at what 30%-40% by polls done.