• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Musical Dislikes...

I personally can not stand opera music (but maybe that is just because I can't understand what they are saying),
I also do not like screamo music (something that people call music but in reality they are just screaming into a microphone),
jazz, blues, and classical music put me to sleep.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I was thinking about my own sort of musical hypocrisy. Can't stand the Bee Gees, they sound like they're two inches tall. Love the Four Seasons, who sound about 2.5" tall. Hate Neil Young--can't sing. Love Bob Dylan--can't sing. Also Leonard Cohen. Love the Beatles. Don't care for the Rolling Stones. Some weird or possibly bad artists I love: The Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, Mamas and Papas. I really can't justify my tastes, but I'm sure I'm right!

Thought of some more: Love Sarah Vaughn, not crazy about Ella Fitzgerald. Love Dinah Washington, don't much like Billie Holliday. Love
Van Morrison and Paul Simon. Don't like James Taylor or Jackson Browne.

Last edited:

Primordial Annihilator

[youtube]B5Kz26VSpqg[/youtube]
YouTube - Kate Bush - The Kick Inside (Efteling)

On the other hand contrary to the topic I love the music by this woman.

I know she is married with children and old enough to be my mother but I would run off leaving my entire former life behind with her today if she asked me.
She ticks all the boxes for me.
This song is a little esoteric but one of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMa2lrFxhY

One of my favourite music videos...

Last edited:

gnomon

That would have been me, age 14 to 20.. :D

You poor thing.:D

Among all the other styles of music I can find something I like and probably most of the music from any genre I do not listen to or dislike.

My tastes can be weird. When it comes to pop and rock songs the better the song the less I care about the music. So if the music is not to my taste I will not listen to the song. However, take the same song, strip down the music and I can enjoy it.

For example, Billie Jean:
[youtube][youtube]kXhy7ZsiR50[/youtube]
YouTube - Moonwalk - Michael Jackson - Billie Jean - The First Moonwalk King Of Pop[youtube]

[youtube][youtube]0jSrpn8ED74[/youtube]
YouTube - Billie Jean unplugged cover by Chris Cornell[youtube]

i've really given up on generalizing music into good and bad genres.
i thought i didnt like country music, until i found some artists that did it well.
i thought i didn't like rap music, until i found some artists that did it well.
i thought i didn't like new wave
i thought i didn't like bluegrass
i thought i didn't like stoner metal ... you get the point.

i, however, dont feel the need to justify why i do or dont like certain music, and that's what's kinda bugging me about this thread. i know we were asked "why" we didn't like certain music, but to point your finger at a whole musical movement and say "it just sounds like screaming into the microphone" or "the singers are all whiny" is pretty disrespectful of all the artists who write that sort of music that you have never heard. it's important to keep in mind that there are going to be garbage artists in EVERY field and, no matter the kind of music, there will be someone out there writing music that is really incredible (at least to them, which is really the point) that you will probably never hear.

what i do look for in music is evidence that the band/artist truly has passion for what they are doing and is willing to work hard and suffer to keep playing. there are bands/artists like this in every genre and there are also artists who dont have their heart in what they are doing and couldn't care less in every genre.

Dezzie

I personally can not stand opera music (but maybe that is just because I can't understand what they are saying),
I also do not like screamo music (something that people call music but in reality they are just screaming into a microphone),
jazz, blues, and classical music put me to sleep.

I'm not a huge fan of opera either but I do love this one song that I can't put my finger on... One kid sang it on either Britians Got Talent or the American version. Don't remember.

I do agree with you on the jazz, blues, and classical. The 1930's and 40's musical era puts me to sleep too... but I LOVE IT. It's one of my favorite eras. :angel2:

Dezzie

Pink Floyd?

You should be sorry....I can understand Led Zeppelin....but Pink Floyd?

Oh man... I love Zeppelin! I remember being on a Zeppelin fix a couples years back. You have to be in the absolute mood for them though. I'm usually in the mood for Nine Inch Nails, not much anything else. :p

Circle_One

Pink Floyd?

You should be sorry....I can understand Led Zeppelin....but Pink Floyd?

HATE them, haha! There are very few bands that I can fully and wholeheartedly say I absolutely loathe, but Led Zep and Pink Floyd are among the select few.

I see absolutely no need for 15 minute songs with 5 minute drum and guitar solos. The need to drag out a song for the sole purpose of showboating one's musical talent and prowess seems extremely narcisisstic to me.

As they say, there are exceptions to every rule; November Rain and Free Bird are mine.

Circle_One

Well you are talking to a borderline narcisisst here hehehe

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm an absolute total narcissist, ask anyone here that knows me well enough.

But maybe that's the reason I don't like those bands..? Why should people be paying all their attention to them, when they should be paying attention to me?

Hahahaha!

The Bright Beast

*Insert Witty Title Here*
I don't like rap/hip-hop and country. I do like Johnny Cash, though. I also hate the recent hard rock like Creed and Nickelback.

If Nickleback is 'Hard Rock' then what is the world coming to?

-

As for me.. I cannot STAND all these metal bands that seem to have gained in popularity recently. Eg: Slipknot. Disturbed. Linkin Park. Limp Bizkit. Ugh. If you're going to do metal, at least do it properly. These bands are just uninteresting, boring, and I'm sorry.. but if your band needs 9 members (Slipknot i'm looking at you) then I'm sorry, you should just give up.

I love metal, but these bands are the first ones that everyone thinks of (with the exception of LB) when it comes to metal, and they give it the negative stereotype. If you're going to listen to metal, then by all means, start with maybe some metalcore (like Bullet for my Valentine). But then move on to better stuff. Doom metal (Candlemass, Hour of 13 etc..) is a good route to take, as is thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth etc.) If you like harsh vocals, then try Melodeath (Wintersun, Norther etc.) If you are looking for really interesting music, then you can try some fusion subgenres. Folk/black metal is interesting. (Summoning - absolutely FANTASTIC band.) BUT, with black metal, you have to be careful. Some bands in black metal support Nazism, which I personally find offensive. Also, It's not very easy on the ears :D

Hmm.. I can't stand modern pop music (for reasons stated in previous posts) although I do love 80s pop :D

Circle_One

If Nickleback is 'Hard Rock' then what is the world coming to?

-

As for me.. I cannot STAND all these metal bands that seem to have gained in popularity recently. Eg: Slipknot. Disturbed. Linkin Park. Limp Bizkit. Ugh. If you're going to do metal, at least do it properly. These bands are just uninteresting, boring, and I'm sorry.. but if your band needs 9 members (Slipknot i'm looking at you) then I'm sorry, you should just give up.

I love metal, but these bands are the first ones that everyone thinks of (with the exception of LB) when it comes to metal, and they give it the negative stereotype. If you're going to listen to metal, then by all means, start with maybe some metalcore (like Bullet for my Valentine). But then move on to better stuff. Doom metal (Candlemass, Hour of 13 etc..) is a good route to take, as is thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth etc.) If you like harsh vocals, then try Melodeath (Wintersun, Norther etc.) If you are looking for really interesting music, then you can try some fusion subgenres. Folk/black metal is interesting. (Summoning - absolutely FANTASTIC band.) BUT, with black metal, you have to be careful. Some bands in black metal support Nazism, which I personally find offensive. Also, It's not very easy on the ears :D

Hmm.. I can't stand modern pop music (for reasons stated in previous posts) although I do love 80s pop :D

Call me a kid of the 80's, but when I think of metal, (REAL Metal, not some random unneeded nouveau subgenre of), I think of Metallica, Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, Ozzy & Sabbath, Megadeth, not stuff like Linkin Park OR Bullet for my Valentine...

The only subgenre metal should have, should be Hair Metal! Hahahaha (Please excuse me, I really did grow up in the 80's). :D

gnomon

THUMP...THUMP...THUMP...THUMP...

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

WHERES THE BATHROOM?

WHAT?

I hate that kind of music.