• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Musical Dislikes...

no-body

HATE them, haha! There are very few bands that I can fully and wholeheartedly say I absolutely loathe, but Led Zep and Pink Floyd are among the select few.

I see absolutely no need for 15 minute songs with 5 minute drum and guitar solos. The need to drag out a song for the sole purpose of showboating one's musical talent and prowess seems extremely narcisisstic to me.

I think you misunderstand why these songs drag out so long (the connotation of the word drag, ahem)

I like both bands but if you've lived in a campus or with a college student I could see how you could get sick of them very quickly.

The Bright Beast

*Insert Witty Title Here*
I think of Metallica, Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, Ozzy & Sabbath, Megadeth, not stuff like Linkin Park OR Bullet for my Valentine...

The only subgenre metal should have, should be Hair Metal! Hahahaha (Please excuse me, I really did grow up in the 80's). :D

Twisted Sister! You cannot forget Twisted Sister.

Agreed with your first point. I am seeing Bullet next month, but there are so many better bands out there.. It's a shame that nobody will go with me to see the bands I really like (Alestorm are good fun, Wintersun are AMAZING) so I have to go and see the more mainstream ones like BFMV. I do like them... but they sound pretty much identical to every other mainstream metal band which does get dull.

I need interesting and mind stimulating stuff in my music, which is why I prefer Black Metal to Death Metal (although Melodic Death is generally brilliant.) I also like speed/power metal because I'm a sucker for the cheesy fantasy lyrics.

As for the bands you listed. Metallica (old metallica) are good. (The Four Horsemen and well... all of Kill 'em all FTW) Ozzy/Sabbath are good. Guns&Roses.. I'm not a big fan. They annoy me more than anything.. Axl Rose is a dick. Megadeth - great band. Have you heard their new single 'Sudden Death'? And I can't say I've listened to much Motley Crue.

Tl;DR: Metal is great - I like my metal technical, melodic, OR simple. But they have to have great lyrics AND a great singer.

Circle_One

I think you misunderstand why these songs drag out so long (the connotation of the word drag, ahem)

I like both bands but if you've lived in a campus or with a college student I could see how you could get sick of them very quickly.

Nope, have never lived on a campus or with a college student, though I have been a college student, and am a university student...

But I've just always hated them.

blackout

Violet.
HATE them, haha! There are very few bands that I can fully and wholeheartedly say I absolutely loathe, but Led Zep and Pink Floyd are among the select few.

I see absolutely no need for 15 minute songs with 5 minute drum and guitar solos. The need to drag out a song for the sole purpose of showboating one's musical talent and prowess seems extremely narcisisstic to me.

As they say, there are exceptions to every rule; November Rain and Free Bird are mine.

Well you are talking to a borderline narcisisst here hehehe

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm an absolute total narcissist, ask anyone here that knows me well enough.

But maybe that's the reason I don't like those bands..? Why should people be paying all their attention to them, when they should be paying attention to me?

Hahahaha!

I'm gunna record a 15 minute solo
COMPLETELY inspired by YOU Sweetheart,

Then, I wanna hear you complain. :flirt:

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
KAT%20WHIP%20AVATAR.gif

blackout

Violet.
I need interesting and mind stimulating stuff in my music, which is why I prefer Black Metal to Death Metal (although Melodic Death is generally brilliant.)

You need to talk with Adramelek. :yes:

Though I still don't get it at all. :no:

My throat hurts just listening.
:D

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
THUMP...THUMP...THUMP...THUMP...

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

WHERES THE BATHROOM?

WHAT?

I hate that kind of music.

LOL. I know, you go to some parties,
even family type events
and you can't hear a damned thing ANYONE says.

It's all THUMP...THUMP...THUMP....

:149: then there's me doin my own Thumpin.

blackout

Violet.
i've really given up on generalizing music into good and bad genres.
i thought i didnt like country music, until i found some artists that did it well.
i thought i didn't like rap music, until i found some artists that did it well.
i thought i didn't like new wave
i thought i didn't like bluegrass
i thought i didn't like stoner metal ... you get the point.

i, however, dont feel the need to justify why i do or dont like certain music, and that's what's kinda bugging me about this thread. i know we were asked "why" we didn't like certain music, but to point your finger at a whole musical movement and say "it just sounds like screaming into the microphone" or "the singers are all whiny" is pretty disrespectful of all the artists who write that sort of music that you have never heard. it's important to keep in mind that there are going to be garbage artists in EVERY field and, no matter the kind of music, there will be someone out there writing music that is really incredible (at least to them, which is really the point) that you will probably never hear.

what i do look for in music is evidence that the band/artist truly has passion for what they are doing and is willing to work hard and suffer to keep playing. there are bands/artists like this in every genre and there are also artists who dont have their heart in what they are doing and couldn't care less in every genre.

Well that's why I was asking for specifics.
What PARTICULARLY you don't tend to like about this sound or that.

I'm a musician.
I'm curious not only what people do specifically like musically,
but also what they (percieve) they don't like,
and why.

It's interesting to me. :shrug:

Side note: People are also posting what they consider to be
exceptions to what they generally don't have a taste for.
That also is interesting to me.

blackout

Violet.
i've really given up on generalizing music into good and bad genres.
i thought i didnt like country music, until i found some artists that did it well.
i thought i didn't like rap music, until i found some artists that did it well.
i thought i didn't like new wave
i thought i didn't like bluegrass
i thought i didn't like stoner metal ... you get the point.

i, however, dont feel the need to justify why i do or dont like certain music, and that's what's kinda bugging me about this thread. i know we were asked "why" we didn't like certain music, but to point your finger at a whole musical movement and say "it just sounds like screaming into the microphone" or "the singers are all whiny" is pretty disrespectful of all the artists who write that sort of music that you have never heard. it's important to keep in mind that there are going to be garbage artists in EVERY field and, no matter the kind of music, there will be someone out there writing music that is really incredible (at least to them, which is really the point) that you will probably never hear.

what i do look for in music is evidence that the band/artist truly has passion for what they are doing and is willing to work hard and suffer to keep playing. there are bands/artists like this in every genre and there are also artists who dont have their heart in what they are doing and couldn't care less in every genre.

I have my degree in Jazz
with a piano emphasis.
I studied with some of NYCity's greatest Jazz musicians.

So some people here, maybe many,
don't like jazz. Don't like blues.
It puts them to sleep,
it's too narcisisstic,
whatever.
Yet this does not bother me at all.

Perhaps I could find a recording they might like?
But it really doesn't matter to me that much.

More often than not,
jazz musicians play with great passion.
Still, even I , don't like all of it.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Jazz is such a huge varied genre, from Duke Ellington to Elliott Sharp, it's like night, day, and everything in between. I love huge chunks of it, and hate others.